Question Whats going on with my pc? It keeps randomly crashing freezing bluescreening etc.

Jun 24, 2023
My pc the last week or two has been very weird,its been freezing crashing bluescreening restarting itself turning itself on randomly at night overclocking itself even tho i set it to underclock the cpu fan has been running at nearly 7k rpm (its rated for 3-4k from what ive seen) and i turned two of the cores from the cpu off but it still does this

For context im running an minitower case with no side pannel an 90mm exhaust fan on the back an amd fx6300 with the fifth and sixth cores turned off the base cooler from the cpu an rx470 4gb fac oc and 8gb of ram an 120gb ssd and an 750w psu (the 750w psu is new i only have it for a month or so before that i had an 650w psu and an rx550 4gb)
The last year and a half its been running perfectly but just now its starting to act up and im unsure wether its the cpu psu vrm's ssd or mobo
IM not that good with pc so i though i should ask for advice

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
The only way I know to get a normal 12V CPU fan to run at 7,000RM is to feed it with 24 to 30V DC. It won't last long!

How are you measuring the fan speed? Small 30mm and 40mm fans often run at 4,000 to 6,000RPM.

How big is your CPU fan? 80mm, 120mm, 140mm, etc.

I'd set the BIOS back to stock and start afresh. Something is very wrong if you need to disable two cores.

Did the problem start after fitting the 750W PSU. Is it a 'Tier A - High end' PSU or a 'Tier F - Replace immediately' (see list below).

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Jun 24, 2023
The only way I know to get a normal 12V CPU fan to run at 7,000RM is to feed it with 24 to 30V DC. It won't last long!

How are you measuring the fan speed? Small 30mm and 40mm fans often run at 4,000 to 6,000RPM.

How big is your CPU fan? 80mm, 120mm, 140mm, etc.

I'd set the BIOS back to stock and start afresh. Something is very wrong if you need to disable two cores.

Did the problem start after fitting the 750W PSU. Is it a 'Tier A - High end' PSU or a 'Tier F - Replace immediately' (see list below).

Im measuring the fan RPM in BIOS its also an 60mm fan and the bit started 2 weeks after the PSU changed also the PSU is an Thermaltake Toughpower 750w tier E from what ive seen and also im running the most recent BIOS but i will check again, Thank you so much for the help

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Only one specific Toughpower is listed as Tier E there, and it's not a 750W. Thermaltake has sold a lot of junk PSU supplies, but the Toughpowers don't tend to be horrible and most are found between Tiers A and C there (you need to get the exact model).

I don't think the fan is reporting correctly; it's *extremely* unlikely behavior and if it were happening, you'd almost certainly already be replacing the fans (and you'd certainly hear it).

Do you still have your RX 550? If so, run on that for a week and see if the behaviors change. I think it's more likely that you bought a used RX 470 that is now failing. These are old GPUs and were starting to be released seven years ago, and due to two different crypto booms, many have lived very hard lives.

Reactions: Hexie

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
Wow! I'm not surprised your CPU fan can run at 7,000rpm if it's only 60mm. You need a much, much, much bigger fan to shift a lot more air. A 60mm fan is far too small. It might be OK on an 80486, but not on an FX6300.

If you look at typical air coolers, fan sizes start at 80mm and go all the way up to 150mm.

Your AMD FX6300 has a TDP of 95W but it could go higher under boost or overclock. That's an impossible amount of heat for a 60mm fan to shift.

At the very least, you need a mid-range air cooler with a fan size of 120mm or a low-end AIO (water) cooler with the same fan size.

A better choice would be an air cooler with two fans of at least 120mm each, or a AIO cooler with a bigger radiator and two 120mm or 140mm fans.

You can go even bigger, but that would probably be overkill with your CPU.

Switch off your computer now and don't use it again until you've installed a proper cooler. I'm surprised it hasn't dropped dead ages ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hexie

TRENDING THREADS