[SOLVED] Whats more important in modern games, CPU or GPU ?

Od86x

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
Hi guys.. I have a question.. I just wonder what's more important cpu or gpu in modern games .. I herd that GPU far more important.
So I have a question can I buy Rtx 3080 and i5 9600k processor will it handle most of games ?
Or should I go for I7 9700k and buy Rtx 3070?

Reactions: Ossi S
Solution
Both are important but how much each impacts game play depends on the type of game and the resolution you're playing at.

The 9600k will definitely bottle neck the 3070 and 3080 in some games especially if you're doing anything but playing the game...even just running Discord while gaming can introduce stuttering and frame drops on a 6 core chip in some titles.

Ideally you'd want to pair a modern gpu like the 3070 and 3080 with a fast 6c/12t cpu at the minimum, and an 8c/16t cpu if you're planning on any type of streaming while playing.

InvalidError

Titan
How much CPU vs GPU you need depends heavily on the resolution, frame rate, detail level and specific games you play. Higher frame rates in more CPU-intensive titles will push the CPU harder, high resolutions at high details in more graphics-intensive games and higher frame rates will push the GPU harder.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer.

Reactions: Howardohyea
And this is where "bottleneck" can be appropriately applied here. What do you want more of and where is your system not providing it? If you can answer these, then it tells you where the bottleneck is and you can upgrade that component.

Lather, rinse, repeat until you're happy.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
3070 to 3080 should give you a 10%-20% bump in frame rate potential

9600k - 9700k is a 2-10%

There is performance to be had by both, but with GPU prices at the moment $/performance ratio might lead you either way

Both are important but how much each impacts game play depends on the type of game and the resolution you're playing at.

The 9600k will definitely bottle neck the 3070 and 3080 in some games especially if you're doing anything but playing the game...even just running Discord while gaming can introduce stuttering and frame drops on a 6 core chip in some titles.

Ideally you'd want to pair a modern gpu like the 3070 and 3080 with a fast 6c/12t cpu at the minimum, and an 8c/16t cpu if you're planning on any type of streaming while playing.

Solution
My stock approach to this perennial question:

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

At one time, a decent rule of thumb on a new build was to budget 2x the cost of the cpu for the graphics card. Sadly with gpu prices up that no longer holds true.

Od86x

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
I planing buy new monitor with 3840×2160 it's a 4k ...
Currently have 24 inch Asus 1080p
I7 4790k, GTX 980, 16G Ram ..
I build this PC back in 2014..
It's 7th year..PC is rock solid and reliable .. I am going miss I7 4790k it was " beast " back in 2014 for me ..
Planing this year build new PC
Also guys how long does you keep your PC...until new one ???

At 4k, you will want that 3080, or at least 3070.

My pc evolves, primarily from a graphics or ssd upgrade.

From a needs point of view, I change when the current setup no longer does the job in some manner.

From a want's point of view I try to upgrade to the latest and greatest,
That is usually skipping a generation.

Reactions: Od86x

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Might interest you to wait towards the end of this year for Alder Lake's suspected release if want Intel. If want now, as other's have said, thread count is important nowadays in a lot of games. You'll be wasting money on a straight (already thread challenged, since it's release really) 6 core processor. 9700k is an improvement but lack of Hyperthreading will hurt.

Last edited:
I planing buy new monitor with 3840×2160 it's a 4k ...
Currently have 24 inch Asus 1080p
I7 4790k, GTX 980, 16G Ram ..
I build this PC back in 2014..
It's 7th year..PC is rock solid and reliable .. I am going miss I7 4790k it was " beast " back in 2014 for me ..
Planing this year build new PC
Also guys how long does you keep your PC...until new one ???
The 3080 hands down. With that said why 4k and not 1440p?

Od86x

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
Might interest you to wait towards the end of this year for Alder Lake's suspected release if want Intel. If want now, as other's have said, thread count is important nowadays in a lot of games. You'll be wasting money on a straight (already thread challenged, since it's release really) 6 core processor. 9700k is an improvement but lack of Hyperthreading will hurt.
Alder Lake will be expensive.. its will cost perhaps arm and leg.. new Gen motherboards,ddr5 ram, etc..
I don't its hard decision ..

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
or maybe just get something a bit newer, 10th gen or 11th gen CPUs are far more desirable than 9th gen Intel.

Both of the i7 9700K and the i5 9600K doesn't have Hyper Threading so multi-core performance will most likely be slightly undesirable.
All the 10th/11th gen CPUs have HT support plus some better architecture/core clocks.

Reactions: Od86x
Whenever the diference is small enough, try to get the non-F intel CPU (for example core i5 10400/11400). You never know when you are going to need an integrated GPU, but when you do need it, it will come really in handy. (Unless of course you own more than 1 GPU).

As for 4K vs 1440p, I got a 1440p in my home and my brother have a 4K display on his living room, I honestly can't see much of a diference between the two. Now if you tell me 1080p vs 4K then theres a huge diferent in image quality.

If you are aiming for a high refresh display and AAA gaming titles, then 1440p may be the best option with the current GPUs on the market.

Then again the choice is yours.