[SOLVED] What's my next upgrade?

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Hey!
So I had built my PC maybe 8 years ago and every once in a while I will buy a new part to upgrade it, slowly but surely I have kept up with all the big titles and been able to run games at a pretty good FPS (Warzone 100-175, CSGO 300+, GTA 80+ On Max).
But I have some spare cash set aside for some new parts, what would you guys recommend I add/ upgrade with this build?

Specs:

CPU: Intel i7770K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
MOBO:
GigaByte DAZ270P-D3
HDD: 1TB Generic
SDD: 100GB + 250GB WD SSDs
HEADSET: SteelSeries Arctis Pro w/ GameDAC
MOUSE: Logitec G Pro Wireless
MONITOR: AOC Agon AG241QG (1440P, 144Hz)

Any thoughts/ tips would be helpful!
Always looking to gain more FPS/ just have a better overall experience for myself.

Main uses for my PC:
  • Gaming
  • Video Editing (My Job)
  • Graphics Editing
Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
You can start with HWiNFO64 (sensors only) and log the info to file. Do some heavy gaming for 30 mins and save that log file separately. Start logging again and do some heavy video editing for 30 mins.

Go through both log files to get a feel for where you're at, performance-wise.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
What are the models of your SSDs? Have you run any performance logging softwares while gaming or executing heavy video processing to see where your CPU and GPU usage are at?
SSD 1: 120gb KINGSTON SV300S37A120G
SSD: 2: 250gb Something Similar but WD I think (Been a while since I have purchased it)

No I haven't really used any tools to log usage, where would you recommend I start?
Thanks for the reply!

You can start with HWiNFO64 (sensors only) and log the info to file. Do some heavy gaming for 30 mins and save that log file separately. Start logging again and do some heavy video editing for 30 mins.

Solution
At 1440p 144Hz a gpu upgrade would allow you to run higher settings in games like Warzone and get better fps in games like GTA V. If that is worth it is a different question. The best time to upgrade is when you find a part no longer meeting your needs/expectations. I know it’s nice to upgrade when you have spare cash but it’s most likely a less efficient time to do it.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
At 1440p 144Hz a gpu upgrade would allow you to run higher settings in games like Warzone and get better fps in games like GTA V. If that is worth it is a different question. The best time to upgrade is when you find a part no longer meeting your needs/expectations. I know it’s nice to upgrade when you have spare cash but it’s most likely a less efficient time to do it.
Would I be best waiting for the new 30XX series from NVIDIA if I were to upgrade gpu?
You are right though, I might be purchasing for the wrong reasons.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020

Ok great, i will give this a try later this evening!

You don't really need any upgrades for games unless you fully swap platforms to a new gen higher end CPU, I'd get a larger SSD for Windows and programs and use the 1tb drive for backups. You are at the point where you are going to be spending money just to spend money vs making meaningful upgrades. It's better off invested in a 401k or something.

Three ideas:

1 Buy a side monitor. It is most helpful for desktop work.
If you pick a similar size and resolution, moving windows from one to the other is relatively seamless.

2 replace the HDD with a ssd. It makes all the difference in the world in performance.
Repurpose the HDD as an external backup device.

3 Buy yourself a xxxl mousepad that covers most of your desk.
They come in up to 24 x 48"