Question What's some the best monitors for picture with some gaming features also

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
OK so my next monitor I want to have a pretty high refresh rate as well as low input lag but I play alot of mmos and stratagy games so would seem to me that getting a monitor with the best picture would be more important than refresh rates and response times although I want that to be be competitive in the few games I do like that are best played at higher frames and reduced input lag but seem to me picture quality is slightly more importnant

Now idk when I might upgrade my monitor but I found out the monitor I have 4k is 5ms response 60hz is worth quite a bit used 400usd roughly but I know it isn't ideal for gaming doesn't have hdr either as is 5yrs or more older but anyways also to if I got a MOnitor I'd be looking to future proof it sure it be hard to get 2k running at 144 or 165hz as it is but 4k at 144 or 165hz might not be all that far out on a budget 2yrs from now but anyways I can't decide should I got for a wide 2k monitor or a 27inch or 32inch 4k monitor with 144hz plus refresh rate for future proofing

At 2feet away would you even notice a difference between 2k and 4k on either a wide monitor or 27 or 32inch monitor?

Also picture being priority but with good gaming features what would be the best monitor in the 400to 700dollar range any suggestion

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Well I only got a 2080 at moment so I can't push the specs but I'm looking into Ada Lovelace and thinking of future proof for the 2yr after cards that eventually USA budget is around 400 maybe up to 700 but preferably 4to500

Last edited:

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Yeah I'm from the USA idk if I'm going to buy one anytime soon just want to look at options I'd like a 4k with 144hz plus but would like good hdr to not sure if I can get that in that price range or if I'd have to settle for a 2k monitor to get better hdr within the budget

Also a main question of concern is would 4k even make a difference vs 2k at screens 27to32inches or a wide curved

I don't know if there's any correlation between higher resolution as "future proofing". IMO, it's declaring a baseline for how much you'll be spending on GPUs for the life of the monitor to achieve a good gaming experience.

With lower resolution you can:
  • Spend less on a GPU to get the same frame rates
  • Spend the same on a GPU to get higher frame rates
  • Spend the same on a GPU and increase quality (ie Ray Tracing) while maintaining frame rate
  • etc etc.
Some other talking points:
  • Try to think of size & resolution as pixels per inch. I also like to keep in mind the 24" 1080p pixel density since that's generally what Windows' 100% scaling is based off of. Most* people find the ~92ppi of the 24" 1080p "standard" to be acceptable (see below, is it retina). At the same Windows' 100% scaling, higher pixel density will result in text/items appearing smaller.
    • 24" 1080p = 92ppi
    • 32" 1440p = 93ppi
    • 32" 4K = 140ppi
  • You can obviously set Windows 10/11 dpi scaling on a per-monitor basis if you have multiple screens with different pixel density. ie a 24" 1080p monitor at 100% scaling + a 32" 4k monitor at 140% (round up to 150% unless you want to enter a custom value) would result in everything staying the same size as you drag windows from one monitor to the other.
  • Keep in mind your viewing distance as well. This gets a little more math'y, but a 27" monitor occupies the same field of view as a 32" monitor if you move the 27" monitor just 4-5" closer to you. Larger field of view can be more immersive, but past a certain point (varies by preference) it can be a hindrance for having to move your eyes/head around too much to view various corners of the screen.
  • Between viewing distance and pixel density you can arrive at the famous term coined by Apple...."retina".
  • Resolution = pixels. For gaming, higher resolution requires more GPU prowess to produce the same frame rate. Not saying you have to or should game at ultra quality settings, but relatively speaking:
Ea6tWRuWAz4ED3nu7eYrCn-1200-80.png.webp

Last edited: