[SOLVED] What's the best GTX 1650?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I'm thinking of putting a GTX 1650 in older Dell XPS 8100 i5 stock and seeing that the 1650 has good performance without needing additional power input, wondering which type 1650 would be best for this pc? And do you think heat will be an issue? There is a vent in the front to take in air and of course a rear fan, but again is all stock; isn't going to be overclocked or anything; do I need additional venting/fan? Is just for my 10 year old who doesn't play anything extreme.

Solution
Nvidia suggests a 350-400W PSU for the GTX 1650. However different manufacturers have their own standards when it comes to setting the minimum wattage but the difference usually isn't that much. 350W should theoretically work if you don't have any other power hungry components in your tower (Aftermarket coolers etc) then it should be okay as the PSU you mentioned seems to have a 6pin PCI connector as well.

You don't necessarily have to go with a low profile model but it does have the benefits JasoNs__ mentioned. But the 1650 isn't that power hungry of a card so you should be able to go with a standard one.

As for heat, a exhaust fan should be good enough, but I would suggest adding an intake fan to the front (if the case has the...

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
1.Gigabyte GTX 1650 OC low profile
2.MSI GTX 1650 OC low profile
3.ZOTAC Gaming GTX 1650 low profile
All of these are good, but first question, whats your PSU brand ? and how much watts ? and btw i picked low profiles models since all of them doesnt require 6pin connecter and their heat is low since they arent power hungry.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
The Gigabyte low profile with GDDR6. It doesn't require additional power, which is pretty much a must in most older pre-builts as they usually come with weak power supplies. Even if it came with a good power supply, originally, it may be getting old now and is not able to deliver power like it did when it was new.

Zer0123

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
Nvidia suggests a 350-400W PSU for the GTX 1650. However different manufacturers have their own standards when it comes to setting the minimum wattage but the difference usually isn't that much. 350W should theoretically work if you don't have any other power hungry components in your tower (Aftermarket coolers etc) then it should be okay as the PSU you mentioned seems to have a 6pin PCI connector as well.

You don't necessarily have to go with a low profile model but it does have the benefits JasoNs__ mentioned. But the 1650 isn't that power hungry of a card so you should be able to go with a standard one.

As for heat, a exhaust fan should be good enough, but I would suggest adding an intake fan to the front (if the case has the option for it) or any other place that an intake fan could be mounted. 1650 isn't really a toaster when it comes to heat management but an intake fan goes a long way.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. But do consider upgrading that PSU sooner than later, it's kinda pushing it at this point.

Reactions: alphacoyle
Solution

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

As for heat, a exhaust fan should be good enough, but I would suggest adding an intake fan to the front (if the case has the option for it) or any other place that an intake fan could be mounted. 1650 isn't really a toaster when it comes to heat management but an intake fan goes a long way.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. But do consider upgrading that PSU sooner than later, it's kinda pushing it at this point.

There is that front intake vent that a small fan should fit I think maybe 80mm Noctua. Thanks for mentioning the PSU, I'd overlooked that, it is getting pretty old, do you think something like a Corsair CX450 would work?
And if I can upgrade the PSU should I just stick to 1650 or try for 1650 Super if find good price?
Also, is the 8gb enough, or should I upgrade to 16?

Last edited:

Zer0123

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
There is that front intake vent that a small fan should fit I think maybe 80mm Noctua. Thanks for mentioning the PSU, I'd overlooked that, it is getting pretty old, do you think something like a Corsair CX450 would work?
Should work fine. Anything above 400 watts would go swimmingly with it, I would suggest getting a 550 one in case you want to upgrade in the future. But if you're not planning on upgrading anytime soon (1-2 years) then yes a CX450 would be sufficient.

Last edited:

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
1.Gigabyte GTX 1650 OC low profile
2.MSI GTX 1650 OC low profile
3.ZOTAC Gaming GTX 1650 low profile
All of these are good, but first question, whats your PSU brand ? and how much watts ? and btw i picked low profiles models since all of them doesnt require 6pin connecter and their heat is low since they arent power hungry.

Looks like I'm going to be replacing the old PSU and putting in an 80mm intake fan in the front grill. What about one of these:
ZOTAC GTX 1650 Super or something more like a GTX1650 OC instead (if sale price around $150 for whatever I buy.) Have better recommendation or still think should go with the low profile ones?

JasonNs_

Proper
Sep 22, 2020
Looks like I'm going to be replacing the old PSU and putting in an 80mm intake fan in the front grill. What about one of these:
ZOTAC GTX 1650 Super or something more like a GTX1650 OC instead (if sale price around $150 for whatever I buy.) Have better recommendation or still think should go with the low profile ones?
Dont buy the stupid GTX 1650 unless you have a prebuilt without a decent PSU, if you gonna buy a PSU, go buy GTX 1650 super.