what's the best laptop to play games on

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqizzzzel

Commendable
Nov 5, 2019
I'm in the market to buy a gaming laptop i dont wanna overspend on the thing roughly around 1000 to 1200 euros the games im playing are hunt showdown/warhammer RTS series and would like to play 3rd when its out I'm not looking for anything crazy just that I could run games on high settings over 60fps on 1080p preferably and some upgradability would be nice in terms of RAM and and ssd i was looking at the lenovo legion 5 and the asus zephyrus g15 i donno if there good choices or not i have no clue for what I'm looking for or are there any more suggestions that can be given

I'm in the market to buy a gaming laptop i dont wanna overspend on the thing roughly around 1000 to 1200 euros the games im playing are hunt showdown/warhammer RTS series and would like to play 3rd when its out I'm not looking for anything crazy just that I could run games on high settings over 60fps on 1080p preferably and some upgradability would be nice in terms of RAM and and ssd i was looking at the lenovo legion 5 and the asus zephyrus g15 i donno if there good choices or not i have no clue for what I'm looking for or are there any more suggestions that can be given

Hey there,

Where would you be buying from? If you use a local store we can advise on what's good.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
You will want:

A recent i5 or i7 CPU eg 8600, 9700, 10600, or 11700, whatever’s cheapest for you to buy, it doesn’t matter exactly which.

A pretty good GPU. Bearing in mind that mobile parts are much slower than desktop, for those RTS games to perform well you will want at least a 1060Ti or better.

A good brand name. Asus is great, Lenovo not so much. Dell and HP also make great gaming laptops. Probably just those three.

16GB of RAM. No more, no less. Exactly what type or speed is irrelevant.

At least a 500GB NVMe drive, ideally 1TB or bigger. If it comes with a HDD as well, take it out. At least you can sell that on eBay and make a little cash.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
anywhere really online seller or in stores im more looking for advice on what i sould buy for those games

I meant more your location (what country) if you want actual recommendaitons.

I don't disagree with @TommyTwoTone66 , but there are other manufacturers too, and nowadays, most laptops are of decent quality.

You should look at this list here for recommendations: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-laptops,4828.html

I've an HP Omen 15 which I love, and still serves me very well with a 1660ti GPU. Also, Ryzen laptops offer excellent performance and run a little cooler too.

I can't speak for the lenovo legion 5 per se, I did get my son a Legion Y520 and it's been pretty good - lasted him all through college and it did need a new keyboard + top cover and both fans (cpu and gpu) replaced, still rocking today (got it late '17)

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I can't speak for the lenovo legion 5 per se, I did get my son a Legion Y520 and it's been pretty good - lasted him all through college and it did need a new keyboard + top cover and both fans (cpu and gpu) replaced, still rocking today (got it late '17)

Yeah so that’s not a terrific indictment of Lenovo quality tbh. I got a dell gaming laptop in 2017 and my partner got an Asus one (slightly better specced than mine! :mad:) in 2018 and neither of them have needed anything doing to them at all.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-laptops,4828.html

I've an HP Omen 15 which I love, and still serves me very well with a 1660ti GPU. Also, Ryzen laptops offer excellent performance and run a little cooler too.

HP make good laptops. I would definitely not trust any article written by Toms Hardware since they are heavily sponsored by MSI and have been shown again and again to just be a mouthpiece for press releases from the major manufacturers.

And indeed it’s no surprise to see a piece of junk MSI as their #1 laptop on the list. No. Just no. Not MSI, not ever. They also list an Acer as the “best budget” which is a total joke, that Acer would last around 2 years before needing replaced. Buy cheap buy twice.

Since magazines and factual websites (like Tom’s) have had to sell their souls to the manufacturers just to survive, just about the only sources I trust for hardware reviews these days are on YouTube. Linus Tech Tips and Gamers Nexus mainly. They’ve done dozens of laptop reviews and guys which 3 brands normally come out on top?

Yep, Asus, HP, Dell, in that order.

HP make good laptops. I would definitely not trust any article written by Toms Hardware since they are heavily sponsored by MSI and have been shown again and again to just be a mouthpiece for press releases from the major manufacturers.

And indeed it’s no surprise to see a piece of junk MSI as their #1 laptop on the list. No. Just no. Not MSI, not ever. They also list an Acer as the “best budget” which is a total joke, that Acer would last around 2 years before needing replaced. Buy cheap buy twice.

Since magazines and factual websites (like Tom’s) have had to sell their souls to the manufacturers just to survive, just about the only sources I trust for hardware reviews these days are on YouTube. Linus Tech Tips and Gamers Nexus mainly. They’ve done dozens of laptop reviews and guys which 3 brands normally come out on top?

Yep, Asus, HP, Dell, in that order.

I just don't get your complete aversion to MSI. They most certainly to make good laptops. Maybe you've had a bad experience with one before?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I just don't get your complete aversion to MSI. They most certainly to make good laptops. Maybe you've had a bad experience with one before?

MSI are a B-grade manufacturer who would have gone the way of Epox, Maxtor and Vigor, except that they have free advertising baked into every copy of Afterburner, which gets them serious street cred with gamers.

They are by far the least reputable and least reliable of all the major manufacturers. Even Acer does better than MSI these days, and that’s saying something.

They spend the most out of anyone on sponsorships, paid editorials and advertising. They want to be seen as the number one choice for gamers, but in reality their manufacturing is cheapest of the cheap, and quality control is lowest of the low, but their hardware is still sold at a premium price.

sure, you can get good performance from MSI hardware, but it’s only a matter of time before it fails.

sqizzzzel

Commendable
Nov 5, 2019
So if you were to have 1000-1200 in Ireland what 3 gaming laptops would you recommend in your opinion and why

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I would recommend an Asus gaming laptop with i5 or i7 and 1060Ti or better with 16GB. This is because Asus laptops consistently score highest in quality and reliability benchmarks, and performance is also top notch.

I would also recommend an HP gaming laptop with an i5 or i7 and 1060Ti or better with 16GB ram. HP laptops are also very high quality and their Omen gaming laptops are no exception, with good cooling features, battery life etc.

finally I would recommend a Dell gaming laptop with i5 or i7 and 1060Ti or better with 16GB ram. I rank them third because Dell laptops don’t always have the most interesting styling or materials, they tend to use a lot of plastic rather than metal, and they are a little on the heavy side, but again they have top notch quality and reliability scores and excellent performance.

As for specific models, you will have to look those up yourself. So long as it is made by one of those three manufacturers, has an i5 or i7 processor, a decent GPU and 16GB RAM you are golden. Other considerations such as screen size, styling, whether or not it lights up with RGB LEDs, how much storage, battery life and bundled accessories, well those don’t impact performance but they certainly impact price. It’s up to you how much want to spend.

sqizzzzel

Commendable
Nov 5, 2019
I would recommend an Asus gaming laptop with i5 or i7 and 1060Ti or better with 16GB. This is because Asus laptops consistently score highest in quality and reliability benchmarks, and performance is also top notch.

I would also recommend an HP gaming laptop with an i5 or i7 and 1060Ti or better with 16GB ram. HP laptops are also very high quality and their Omen gaming laptops are no exception, with good cooling features, battery life etc.

finally I would recommend a Dell gaming laptop with i5 or i7 and 1060Ti or better with 16GB ram. I rank them third because Dell laptops don’t always have the most interesting styling or materials, they tend to use a lot of plastic rather than metal, and they are a little on the heavy side, but again they have top notch quality and reliability scores and excellent performance.

As for specific models, you will have to look those up yourself. So long as it is made by one of those three manufacturers, has an i5 or i7 processor, a decent GPU and 16GB RAM you are golden. Other considerations such as screen size, styling, whether or not it lights up with RGB LEDs, how much storage, battery life and bundled accessories, well those don’t impact performance but they certainly impact price. It’s up to you how much want to spend.
Thank you you have been a lot of help seriously

MSI are a B-grade manufacturer who would have gone the way of Epox, Maxtor and Vigor, except that they have free advertising baked into every copy of Afterburner, which gets them serious street cred with gamers.

They are by far the least reputable and least reliable of all the major manufacturers. Even Acer does better than MSI these days, and that’s saying something.

They spend the most out of anyone on sponsorships, paid editorials and advertising. They want to be seen as the number one choice for gamers, but in reality their manufacturing is cheapest of the cheap, and quality control is lowest of the low, but their hardware is still sold at a premium price.

sure, you can get good performance from MSI hardware, but it’s only a matter of time before it fails.

Is there anything to back up your substantial claims, or is this more your own general dislike?

There is no 1060ti. I think you mean 1660ti?

Asus Tuf Dash 15.6
Acer Predator Triton 300
MSI GF63 Thin
Lenovo Legion 5
HP Omen
HP Pavilion Gaming.

I would not by a Dell, because they lock down the bios, so you cannot undervolt an Intel chip (which is really valuable for bringing down temps)

Whilst @TommyTwoTone66 has some very good points, others are just misleading. It seems as well as having issue with MSI, there's also an issue with Ryzen model laptops, which offer same or better performance and cooler chips right out of the box.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

When you say Dell do you include Alienware as Dell?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Alienware are ok, the main difference is they tend to use the i9 cpu or the higher clocked AMD chips, which bumps up the price a lot and doesn’t really improve gaming performance. The screens are also better and have faster refresh rates, which matters if you plan to actually use the screen as your main gaming setup, but makes no difference if you plan to use an external monitor most of the time, like the majority of gaming laptop users do.

I’d take the normal Dell G15 over an Alienware. It contains basically the same hardware apart from a lower specced CPU, which makes temperatures much easier to control and doesn’t hamper FPS significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.