[SOLVED] Whats the best motherboard for ryzen 2600 ( going to overclock)

kindred810

Prominent
Oct 22, 2018
Best Mother borde for overclocking ryzen 2600
Msib450 tomahawk: 115$
Asus x470 prime :140
Msi x470 gaming plus :140

Other options under 150? (I'm no a fan of gigabyte)

Solution
I'm leaning towards the Tomahawk having a design flaw or really poor quality control, as mentioned in several other threads and related to a good MANY other threads, because we've seen way too many instances of people replacing a Tomahawk B450 board that was having issues with something else and no more problems. Sorry, but the Tomahawk and Mortar boards are fully off my recommended list regardlesss that some people don't have any apparent issues with them because a lot of other people, do.

I'd take the Steel legend over that board any day of the week. However, the X470 Prime you listed in the original post, would be the board I'd choose out of the three you listed. It's just a better overall quality board than these others.

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
Best Mother borde for overclocking ryzen 2600
Msib450 tomahawk: 115$
Asus x470 prime :140
Msi x470 gaming plus :140

Other options under 150? (I'm no a fan of gigabyte)
I have a ryzen 5 2600 and the board I used (gigabyte b450m ds3h) could get it to 3.8 ghz with 1.27 v easily so if you want like 4 ghz or 4.1 You could probably do it with the b450 tomahawk, even if its not x470 chipset. I think that x470 is best used with x chips (the higher clock/ tdp ones) because you could get more out of it.

Reactions: kindred810

kindred810

Prominent
Oct 22, 2018
I have a ryzen 5 2600 and the board I used (gigabyte b450m ds3h) could get it to 3.8 ghz with 1.27 v easily so if you want like 4 ghz or 4.1 You could probably do it with the b450 tomahawk, even if its not x470 chipset. I think that x470 is best used with x chips (the higher clock/ tdp ones) because you could get more out of it.
i saw a video from b450 Tomahawk oc to 4 ghz at 1.3

I don't agree with that advice. And neither do a good many other veteran members. We've seen too many problems on the Tomahawk and Mortar boards to continue recommending them for use with any of the Ryzen 7 CPUs or for overclocking on Ryzen 5. If you want to overclock and ESPECIALLY if you have any plans to upgrade down the road to a Ryzen 3000 product, you would be wise to go with a higher quality motherboard right from the start unless you enjoy being frustrated and wasting money.

kindred810

Prominent
Oct 22, 2018
I don't agree with that advice. And neither do a good many other veteran members. We've seen too many problems on the Tomahawk and Mortar boards to continue recommending them for use with any of the Ryzen 7 CPUs or for overclocking on Ryzen 5. If you want to overclock and ESPECIALLY if you have any plans to upgrade down the road to a Ryzen 3000 product, you would be wise to go with a higher quality motherboard right from the start unless you enjoy being frustrated and wasting money.
so do you have a recommendation?

Well, your 150 probably isn't going to be the same as MY 150, since I don't have to pay shipping or import fees or anything like that. We don't get too many members from DR so I'm not sure what the angle will be on that, but bottom line, if you were in the US and wanted the best AMD board under 150 for the R5 2600, I'd recommend this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $154.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-02 23:25 EDT-0400

But if you could swing a slightly higher budget, this would easily be the better recommendation, by a long shot:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $189.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-02 23:25 EDT-0400

Despite the fact that you don't particularly like Gigabyte, the X470 Aorus Gaming 5 is also a terrific board. Not particularly high end, but pretty damn good for the price.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Can I just confirm whether you already have the 2600? The Ryzen 5 3600 is released in 4 days and should be a good deal quicker than the 2600. There are good deals to be had on the 2600 right now, but if you haven't parted with your money yet, I'd suggest waiting until the new models are out. Ryzen 3000 series is looking very promising.

kindred810

Prominent
Oct 22, 2018
  • Can I just confirm whether you already have the 2600? The Ryzen 5 3600 is released in 4 days and should be a good deal quicker than the 2600. There are good deals to be had on the 2600 right now, but if you haven't parted with your money yet, I'd suggest waiting until the new models are out. Ryzen 3000 series is looking very promising.
    Be cause i World have to pay some 250 dólares to send it to Dominican Repúblic so it isn'y a Worth price

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What was wrong with the Asus X470 Prime suggestion? Why list it as an option if you don't want to get it?

Of your original 3 I'd get the Prime or the Tomahawk.

Edit: Forgot to ask, what case do you have/are you planning on getting? Do you have any preference or requirement for motherboard size? E.g. micro ATX or full size ATX.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards the Tomahawk having a design flaw or really poor quality control, as mentioned in several other threads and related to a good MANY other threads, because we've seen way too many instances of people replacing a Tomahawk B450 board that was having issues with something else and no more problems. Sorry, but the Tomahawk and Mortar boards are fully off my recommended list regardlesss that some people don't have any apparent issues with them because a lot of other people, do.

I'd take the Steel legend over that board any day of the week. However, the X470 Prime you listed in the original post, would be the board I'd choose out of the three you listed. It's just a better overall quality board than these others.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The Tomahawk actually has better average reviews (and less negative reviews) than the Prime on both Newegg and Amazon. If we assume 1 or 2 star reviews are typically related to faulty units then anecdotally the Tomahawk is doing better than the Prime based on the couple hundred reviews on those sites.

And since we know that the people who post feedback on Amazon and Newegg are reliable, mentally stable, technically proficient type people, we'll go with that, right? Uh uh.

Those flaming idiots give a five star review if the frackin' thing arrives without a dented box, on time, and will boot after they assemble it. And those who screw up their installation, themselves, and can't get it to boot and send it back, give a one star review. Yeah, we're not going to start basing things on what reviews from THOSE sites say when we see plenty of evidentiary trends and patterns here. Like I said, they are not all going to have problems. BUT, I'm not the only one seeing this issue nor am I the only one who believes there is a problem with these boards.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...em-might-be-cpu-related.3494216/post-21123712

kindred810

Prominent
Oct 22, 2018

So the best option forma me is B450 gaming pro ac or X470 Prime pro