Question What's the best way to store a computer?

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Hello all,

I'm going to be away from home for two weeks but I'm not quite sure on what's the safest way to store a computer. I recently moved into a new apartment but it has a terrible bug problem which is why I'm worried they'll go inside my case once I'm gone.

For storage I was planning to put it in a big cardboard box and then wrap and tie that box in a garbage bag so no bugs could get inside.

I need an airtight seal for the bugs and a way to avoid any kind of static or moisture but is this looking good so far or am I missing anything?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all,

I'm going to be away from home for two weeks but I'm not quite sure on what's the safest way to store a computer. I recently moved into a new apartment but it has a terrible bug problem which is why I'm worried they'll go inside my case once I'm gone.

For storage I was planning to put it in a big cardboard box and then wrap and tie that box in a garbage bag so no bugs could get inside.

I need an airtight seal for the bugs and a way to avoid any kind of static or moisture but is this looking good so far or am I missing anything?
Get one of the giant storage bags that you use a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out. Those are air tight.

Reactions: artk2219
If your leaving anyways and is also safe to live with put this on all baseboards where the carpet or tile meets the wall and leave it there. Bugs walk through it than can't retain water and turn into mummies.

My grandma's old trick. For years I thought she was nuts on the subject but when I finally looked into it she was right.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/harris-diatomaceous-earth-crawling-insect-killer-4-lb-decrawl-64-1651577?cid=Shopping-Google-Organic_Feed-Product-1651577&srsltid=AfmBOooDLngv4VPd0zuwPNF3PaUv04MLu19s3jnDY49uZIYgbgvVWsHaBME

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
That is fine.

If you are away for two weeks, bug bomb the place.
Thanks and there wont be any kind of static issue with the garbage bag? I'll be leaving it unplugged on the living room table.

Yeah I already told the landlord so hopefully they bring in an exterminator while I'm gone

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks and there wont be any kind of static issue with the garbage bag? I'll be leaving it unplugged on the living room table.

Yeah I already told the landlord so hopefully they bring in an exterminator while I'm gone
Static electricity is all about potential differences. Even if you statically charge the computer chassis, the instant you plug it back in it will be connected to ground and will dissipate. The danger would be getting it statically charged and then touching one of the internal components while you are grounded. Or yourself being charged while it is grounded. So just don't stick your fingers in the USB ports and it should be fine. Any time you touch the chassis it any static charge will be dissipated while the power cable is connected to a grounded outlet.

Now if those place has two prong power, make sure to use a 2 prong adapter that has the ground loop wire and actually screw it to the socket plate, which should be grounded.

Reactions: artk2219 and refmon

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
If your leaving anyways and is also safe to live with put this on all baseboards where the carpet or tile meets the wall and leave it there. Bugs walk through it than can't retain water and turn into mummies.

My grandma's old trick. For years I thought she was nuts on the subject but when I finally looked into it she was right.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/harris-diatomaceous-earth-crawling-insect-killer-4-lb-decrawl-64-1651577?cid=Shopping-Google-Organic_Feed-Product-1651577&srsltid=AfmBOooDLngv4VPd0zuwPNF3PaUv04MLu19s3jnDY49uZIYgbgvVWsHaBME

Good idea, I also read about a similar solution using borax powder so I will just use that and diatomaceous earth as well.