Question What's the cable called?

boneslammer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I have an old Thermaltake Tough power 850w

http://www.thermaltake.co.nz/product/Power/ToughPower/W0131/w0131.html#feature

When I bought an gtx 970 years ago, I went from needing 2x6 pin to needing 1x6 and 1x8. At the time I choose to use the 2xmolex to 8 pin. It's been like this for years no problem.

Now I have thrown everything into a Meshify c, and want the cables to be managed a bit better. From the link above it looks like there should have been some proper 6x8 pin cables included. But I guess I have thrown them out.

I haven't been able to find aftermarket kables with plugs in both ends, am I missing something here?

Last edited:

boneslammer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
6tTeYIUbH2MgUe9Kmjk3kJAEKfDVK--8vS_0Oyw5JDviYlUuyFRLeuS3qvUT1no8nYPSs7mwpPATYktQMdUMY_gJQRyAKQ31m9Hph0tDrlW3IpIXZPdo9ZOVj0ECLQDfiCM3tb5Gwt0=w2400

The reason you cannot find any aftermarket modular cables is because there is no standard way to wire the PSU end of them.

The forums are littered with reports of fried HDDs and SSDs because someone tried to reuse a modular cable on a different model PSU.

Without any genuine Thermaltake 8-pin modular cable available because your PSU never came with any, a 6-pin to 8-pin PCIe adapter like the ones that came with your PSU is easiest, and way better than 2 molexes! Not exactly tidy looking though.

If you can get hold of an 8-pin molex itself, the pins do come out of your 6-pin one with a little tool and snap right in to the 8-pin, but you'll have to figure out how to wire the extra ground wire yourself (the adapters simply jumper it over from an adjacent ground pin)

boneslammer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I've never worked with custom cables, and therefore never given much thought that there is no standart for modular PSU kabeling. And as you say, that is probably the reason i can't findt a 6x8 male/male. So i will definitely not try to plug anything not original directly into any PSU. :)

I don't want to buy a new one. Appart from the two missing 6x8pin cables that i perhabs just have lost sometime, it should be more than enough for my system.
It clearly states one the homepage that it should have included the cables.

Just to be clear, you suggest the following:
Buying a 6x8 adapter, and use the 8 end to put on one of the original 6x6 that came with the PSU originally?

boneslammer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Well, old doesn't mean its obsolete. The build is 8+ years old, and working very well as it is. We can definitely agree that the 2 x molex isn't a great solution.
But buying a new PSU instead af changing the molex to the original 6x6 with a 6-8 pin adapter seems stupid. Especially considering that the PSU originally was designed to have two 6x8 pin cables to power the GPU.

boneslammer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Maybe i'm misreading something on Thermaltakes website. From the text, its sounds like there should be two 6-8 pin cables to use instead of the 6-6. But from the picture of the adaptor, it look's like you'll need an 8-8 also.

I guess my question here is, why shouldn't a 6-8 not be enough compared to 2x6-8pin?

***As a sidenote, the hardwired 6-6 and the 2 x molex-8 are on different rails. The same is true if i take one original 6x6 with 6-8 adapter.

8pinPCI-E_n.jpg

02_EmbeddedSocketDesign.gif
pcie-adapter-3.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe i'm misreading something on Thermaltakes website. From the text, its sounds like there should be two 6-8 pin cables to use instead of the 6-6. But from the picture of the adaptor, it look's like you'll need an 8-8 also.

I guess my question here is, why shouldn't a 6-8 not be enough compared to 2x6-8pin?

***As a sidenote, the hardwired 6-6 and the 2 x molex-8 are on different rails. The same is true if i take one original 6x6 with 6-8 adapter.

8pinPCI-E_n.jpg

02_EmbeddedSocketDesign.gif
pcie-adapter-3.jpg
The problem is that the OP lost the cable and Thermaltake doesn't sell replacements.