[SOLVED] What's the difference between DIMM, UDIMM, SO-DIMM?

Dec 22, 2020
I'm planning on getting more ram for my pc, as I only have a single 8gb stick. I know that my current ram is DDR4 so I was obviously looking for the same type of ram, another 8gb, but I saw that it's also "DIMM" and i was looking around and found that there's not a lot of 8gb single stick ram for DIMM being sold. Is there a difference in if I use DIMM, UDIMM or SO-DIMM?

My PC is a prebuilt that I bought a few years ago when I didn't know better, it only has 2 ram slots and is currently using one of them for an 8gb stick.

Solution

Also, adding a single 8GB to the current one may not work.
RAM is only guaranteed to work in the set that are sold. Adding another may work, it may fail.

USAFRet

Titan

RAM is only guaranteed to work in the set that are sold. Adding another may work, it may fail.

Reactions: PrimalSins
Solution
Dec 22, 2020

So then it's smarter to just buy 16gb in a set of two 8gb sticks and replace the old 8gb stick? But then does it matter if I get a UDIMM or DIMM or whatever?

Dec 22, 2020
Precisely!
There's so many different types of DIMM's though, like UDIMM and RDIMM and SO-DIMM, I don't know which one's better though. I found some info about the different ones being for different things like server hosting and stuff, but I'm just generally confused on which to look for.

There's so many different types of DIMM's though, like UDIMM and RDIMM and SO-DIMM, I don't know which one's better though. I found some info about the different ones being for different things like server hosting and stuff, but I'm just generally confused on which to look for.
You have a consumer system so you're technically using udimms (unbuffered dual inline memory module). These come in ecc and non-ecc variants. They also come in ecc buffered aka ecc registered modules (RDIMMs)--these are typically only for servers and workstations.

SODIMMs are for laptops because they are physically smaller (unbuffered dual small outline inline memory module). These are typically all non-ecc.