Discussion Whats the game that graphically impressed you the most for its time?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Pong :)

well, it did at the time.

Journey? it was more fun cause they got the feel of the sand right, so its not graphics...

I played games too long, I don't recall.

Hmmm, maybe none? I don't play games for graphics, I play for gameplay. Shame most games now are pretty movies you can walk through. Game play hard, making pretty worlds is easy. Dazzle people with pretty pictures, hope they don't notice game is boring before they paid for it.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Pong :)

well, it did at the time.

Journey? it was more fun cause they got the feel of the sand right, so its not graphics...

I played games too long, I don't recall.

Hmmm, maybe none? I don't play games for graphics, I play for gameplay. Shame most games now are pretty movies you can walk through. Game play hard, making pretty worlds is easy. Dazzle people with pretty pictures, hope they don't notice game is boring before they paid for it.
Cool,i dont play games for graphics too much either,but there are some games that you are just shocked at how good they look even on low settings on a 1080p monitor.

USAFRet

Titan
"Whats the game that graphically impressed you the most for its time?"

This would answered with "One of the first games I ever played." or "What game did I grow up with?"

Current games are more graphically pretty, but what impresses someone is the first one.

Pong
Quake I
Crysis
Whatever is prettiest today

Colif

Win 11 Master
Defender was pretty cool in its day.
I remember Dragon's Lair but the game was first in line of looks good but game play is sort of boring.
Cyberpunk is latest in the line of Looks pretty but....

I want games to have realistic graphics so they can stop hiding fact they are boring behind the appearance. When all games look amazing, they will have to try.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A classic
Compared to a bunch of titles back then, that game was pretty.
One of Rareware's golden eggs.

Today, it's replay value for me, which many of those 'awesome graphics games' tend to fall of a cliff. What good is it, when I play through a pretty game once and don't get the urge to touch it again?
Kinda nuts - to me - to have more fun playing titles from 15 years ago. Maybe I'm old fashioned... at 34yrs old; I got nothing on some of the older members here.

I've got DKC and some old favorites running on emulators. :sneaky:

"Whats the game that graphically impressed you the most for its time?"

This would answered with "One of the first games I ever played." or "What game did I grow up with?"

Current games are more graphically pretty, but what impresses someone is the first one.

Pong
Quake I
Crysis
Whatever is prettiest today
Oh yeah crysis was like revolutionary in terms of looks and how demanding it was.
One of the first games i played was the old Tomb Raider and Quake 3.Quake 3 was really really fun.

Reactions: Bassman999

Colif

Win 11 Master
Rare made the best games on the N64, I had them all back then. Goldeneye may look bad now but it wasn't when it was released.

The difference is in past graphics weren't a crutch you would rest a bad game on. So games had to be fun as well. I played Super Metroid for a year trying to find everything in game. No internet back then, and I didn't have any guide books.

Colif

Win 11 Master
AAA games are glossy high budget open worlds with nothing in them, with amazing graphics but cookie cutter game play, and are basically front ends to your credit card.
Indie games are all pixel art games with lots of indepth gameplay and interesting ideas... though too many roguelikes. Does everything have to be like something else?

We need something in between, better graphics with gameplay

Dec 31, 2020
AAA games are glossy high budget open worlds with nothing in them, with amazing graphics but cookie cutter game play, and are basically front ends to your credit card.
Indie games are all pixel art games with lots of indepth gameplay and interesting ideas... though too many roguelikes. Does everything have to be like something else?

We need something in between, better graphics with gameplay

Hahaha I think you are generalizing a bit too much. The CoD series are AAA games and they don’t really have open worlds.
As for indie games, there are a lot of pixel art games, but not all indies use this style. Look at Braid, Super Meat Boy, Void Bastards, Hades, etc.
They do have a lot of rogue-like games, but that’s probably because it’s a good way to create refreshing content (you can play 10 or 15 minutes here and there and still have the feeling of getting a "novel" experience.

When talking about being impressed by graphics, if we are talking purely hardware, it is typically AAA games that are impressive (I personally love Star Citizen, and the Unreal Engine really shines with a title like that). If we are talking about artistic direction, then indie games may have a chance there

PrdPak

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
I was really impressed with NFS: HP2, and still consider it to hold up really well. I played it like in 2010-2011, and was amazed by the graphics. (I had a P4 2GHz, 512MB RAM, SiS 65x graphics)

Another game that impressed me was GTA Vice City, the reflections looked really nice indoors.

Many Atari 2600 titles wowed me when I first played them but it was more my ability to move something on the screen that was amazing.

Graphically, hmmm, anyone remember Forbidden Forest on the Commodore 64? The pseudo 3D nature of that game blew me away.

More recently, I remember being blown away by Unreal (1998?) when it was first released. Then again by Morrowind in 2003.