Discussion Whats the game that graphically impressed you the most for its time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Carmageddon, when I first seen that on a friend's dad work pc it was just a demo version, but it had truly stunned me, and I thought damn can a computer really do all that when you have better parts installed than the average desktop had at the time.

If I recall correct it was a game playable on DOS, and to have that kind of world rendered on a DOS pc was amazing.

Reactions: Dj0gany

Colif

Win 11 Master
Many Atari 2600 titles wowed me when I first played them but it was more my ability to move something on the screen that was amazing.
the 1st time i ever controlled anything graphically was a little triangle connected to a line in computer rooms at college in 1982. It wasn't a game but it was the start of everything else. Games up until then were mostly test adventures , very little moved on screen

this doesn't look good now and I don't think I ever had a wow moment but its close to first computer game I remember playing besides burger panic

Reactions: alceryes

Colif

Win 11 Master
In one of them the final levels map layout was actually their initials. Since you had to map it out, on graph paper, it wasn't obvious like it would be today.
I think boss name was Trebor which is devs name backwards.
creative stuff back then.

I don't remember any game play. Its too long ago to remember game play. Its like a Spy Vs Spy game I was going to link to, what I remember doesn't match reality and in fact I think I am remembering something else.

mind you, the world was different before PC, so many different computers, so many games you couldn't play cause you didn't have the right computer type. Imagine if PC hadn't happened.

mind you, the world was different before PC, so many different computers, so many games you couldn't play cause you didn't have the right computer type. Imagine if PC hadn't happened.
Yup.
So many great games were siloed to one system, whether it be the IBM XT/AT clone, or NES, or Commodore 64. If you do some searching, you can still find many of them preserved and available as abandonware though.

Reactions: Dj0gany