What's the highest frequency your speakers can play safely?

rollerskydude

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
Can someone please tell me what the highest frequency your speakers can play safely?
I've recently got a new pair of Logitech speakers and was messing around with the format and I'm not sure which is best for my speakers, the default is 24Bits, 48000Hz (studio quality).
I know the higher the hertz the better sound quality, but I need to know what is safe for myself and my speakers.
My speaker specs are (to the best of my ability):
-Logitech Z200
-10W (5 Watts RMS/10 Watts Peak)
-Headphone Jack 1
-Controls: Power, volume, and tone
-Dimensions 4.88″ x 3.54" x9.48"

Solution
Those "Hz" are slightly different than the frequency of speakers "Hz". They are related. The "Hz" you are referring to is a digitization frequency. With a 48KHz digitization, you can capture around 20KHz analog audio. If you are playing a digital audio file, it will have an internal digitization frequency independent from the settings you are adjusting. Changing the setting you are playing with won't change anything going to the speakers. It will only make files you capture larger on disk.

Human hearing generally maxes out at 20KHz. Frequencies about that are inaudible to most people.

kanewolf

Titan
Those "Hz" are slightly different than the frequency of speakers "Hz". They are related. The "Hz" you are referring to is a digitization frequency. With a 48KHz digitization, you can capture around 20KHz analog audio. If you are playing a digital audio file, it will have an internal digitization frequency independent from the settings you are adjusting. Changing the setting you are playing with won't change anything going to the speakers. It will only make files you capture larger on disk.

Human hearing generally maxes out at 20KHz. Frequencies about that are inaudible to most people.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The bass thump you can actually hear is right around 60Hz. Lower than that you don't hear it as much as feel it. The top frequency range is @20k-22k Hz, which is that super high piercing whistle that you hear with tinitis. There's some few ppl that can 'hear' slightly higher and lower, but that's rare.

Most frequencies are dependent on the speaker itself. Woofers are for @60-400Hz, subwoofers for @20-80Hz, midrange cover @300-6k, highs cover 4k-15k, piezo cover 10k-20k. There's some overlap, and differences between brands and specific speakers, but that's a close generalization. A sub is physically incapable of creating 20kHz, just as a piezo is incapable of creating 60Hz, it's physical limitations imposed by the magnets, power and materials of the speaker.

Most pc speakers will cover @100Hz-16kHz to avoid needing more than 2x speakers inside the case and the physical restrictions of size and power necessary.