[SOLVED] What's the most powerful Video Card you'd put in this system.

Kotig

Commendable
Nov 23, 2020
-Asus Sabertooth Z87
-Intel i7-4770K
-32GB Corsair Dominator-GT DDR3
-evga supernova 1000 p2 80 plus platinum
-Windows 10

currently running 2 Nvidia GeForce GTX 770s

Solution
i'd go with the strongest card you wish to buy. obviously you don't upgrade very often so get the best card you can now. then when you upgrade to a new cpu/mobo you're already running a nice strong gpu that will last.

i don't buy into trying to figure out which card will somehow be "balanced". there's so many variables to that and it changes from game to game. so i just suggest grabbing the best you can/want once the newer cards are actually available to buy. unless you're getting the absolute top of the line, then you'll get most of the performance out of it. people love to throw that word "bottleneck" around like it is somehow a crippled card. it just means the cpu won't feed it enough work to do so it won't run at 100%. that's only...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd go with the strongest card you wish to buy. obviously you don't upgrade very often so get the best card you can now. then when you upgrade to a new cpu/mobo you're already running a nice strong gpu that will last.

i don't buy into trying to figure out which card will somehow be "balanced". there's so many variables to that and it changes from game to game. so i just suggest grabbing the best you can/want once the newer cards are actually available to buy. unless you're getting the absolute top of the line, then you'll get most of the performance out of it. people love to throw that word "bottleneck" around like it is somehow a crippled card. it just means the cpu won't feed it enough work to do so it won't run at 100%. that's only at 1080p mostly. if you use a higher resolution, then the "bottleneck" is not really there as the card has a lot more work to do pushing the higher resolution.

i just upgraded my 4690k system to a 3700x so i understand about not upgrading regularly and this is how i tend to go about buying parts. :)

Reactions: Kotig and punkncat
Solution

Kotig

Commendable
Nov 23, 2020

i don't buy into trying to figure out which card will somehow be "balanced". there's so many variables to that and it changes from game to game. so i just suggest grabbing the best you can/want once the newer cards are actually available to buy. unless you're getting the absolute top of the line, then you'll get most of the performance out of it. people love to throw that word "bottleneck" around like it is somehow a crippled card. it just means the cpu won't feed it enough work to do so it won't run at 100%. that's only at 1080p mostly. if you use a higher resolution, then the "bottleneck" is not really there as the card has a lot more work to do pushing the higher resolution.

i just upgraded my 4690k system to a 3700x so i understand about not upgrading regularly and this is how i tend to go about buying parts. :)

Beautiful!

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
A single GTX 1070 (non Ti) would poop all over the GTX 770 SLi and draw only 150W for a reference card, a little more for an OC version. The GTX 770 SLi needs at least 400. SLi support is also going away, so having that second 770 is going to become a liability rather than an asset.

Last edited: