Discussion What's the oldest and/or cheesiest system you have Win 10 installed on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Titan
Mine is a 2009 era Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955
Celeron 900, 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD.

The only upgrade from stock was a warranty replacement of the original 160GB HDD to the current 250GB.
Currently v1903, Build 18362.295
BegBnvd.png

https://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-satellite-l305-s5955/specs/
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/toshiba-satellite-l305-s5955-review/
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Toshiba-Satellite-L305-S5955.19142.0.html

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
We know at least one member does! I'll have to pull the specs on my ancient desktop downstairs that's running the latest Win10 64-bit, but I don't think it bests yours in the oldest/cheesiest system category, but it might.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I had an ASUS Mini ATX motherboard with the built on CPU, something like a 2 core @ 1ghz...I can't even recall the model of it now. I got it as a FreeNAS system and after upgrading just decided to mess around with it. It was abysmal.
I attempted the same with one of the Asus Aspire web book things and it was pretty bad as well. I did find, however, that Ubuntu made those half way usable.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have helped people with older. 10 year old PC are pretty common on here.

Win 10 will happily run on old hardware, install is another matter though as its support from anything older than LGA 775 is probably non existent, as its spotty enough with LGA 775. SO if you willing to go through a number of OS, you can get it on almost anything.

if you can get win 7 onto PC you can maybe install win 10 as well. XP machines might be a struggle.

It can squeeze itself down quite a lot so ram isn't a problem. Drivers from other makers can be though.

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I've got a Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 PSAA3 (2006 model, Celeron M 1.4 GHz, 2GB RAM, Radeon Xpress 200M) running Win10 1803 which I used to use as a "sacrificial" testing system for things where I needed physical hardware rather than a VM. I had to force-install hacked Vista display drivers to get the graphics working.

It won't update to any newer version of Win10, though. It just blue-screens on boot, either after running the update (it then spends several hours rolling the update back, then several more hours trying to install it again, etc...) or while booting the installation media, which suggests a kernel-level incompatibility (perhaps missing instruction set extensions on the CPU).

isamuelson

Distinguished
The current system I'm on right now. :ROFLMAO:

It's actually an AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE with the 4th core unlocked and OC'd to 3.21 GHz. I've had it since 2009. Still works. Just put in an SSD which has helped a lot.

Probably the most recent games I've purchased that run great on it are Mad Max and Alien: Isolation. I can't use the maximum graphics settings, but at 1920x1080, I can run them both at high settings and not skip a beat.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019
Hello guys! I'm new here and I had an EXO Smart 2 notebook with an Intel Celleron 284... Something, with a built in integrated graphic card with ram at 3,00 giga hertz, and it was pretty good... I used it for gaming and in low graphics, some games from 2012 run pretty fine.

Remeca

Reputable
I have Windows 10 installed on a Dell Precision M4400, an old high end (for it's time) workstation laptop from 2008. I have used it for some gaming over the years, but nothing too current. It runs Source games pretty well, and StarCraft 2. It has the original 160GB hdd in it, but I upgraded the ram from 3 to 6GB DDR2, which made a big difference in usability for Windows 10.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
I had a actually impressive for its age (6 GB RAM but low graphics) Lenovo PC, we needed to install W10 to it. Went all okay, after a week, its graphics card (it was discrete) got burnt in smokes. I guess it doesn't take much to burn a graphics card, does it?

I think Windows 10 is really poorly optimized for low-end systems, but it can be installed onto really really old hardware.

My little N3060, 2gb ram, and 32gb EMMC runs sooo much nicer in Linux. It cannot play youtube smoothly at anything above 480p in windows. In openelec, 1080p is no problem.

imrazor

Distinguished
2010 Mac Pro. Installing Windows 10 was a bit tricky on this thing, as Apple no longer supports Boot Camp on this old beast. The Windows installer wouldn't install to the WD Velociraptor (yes, the Mac came with one of those) in GPT mode, only MBR mode. Really weird considering all Macs are EFI.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

jhsachs

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Mine is a desktop system built on an EVGA 132-CK-NC79 motherboard (manual date: 1/2008) with a Core 2 Extreme x9650 CPU and 8 GiB RAM. I use it mainly for testing hardware.

"Desktop" has a specific meaning here. The motherboard sits on the desktop. Well, actually it sits on a book that sits on the desktop. It stays cleaner that way :).

Last edited:

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
installed windows 10 32bit on a Fujitsu Siemens scenic PC that I think is around older than 2006?
It has a Northwood Pentium 4
256mb ram which I upgraded to 1.5gb
2 x 40gb IDE drives
4 USB 1.1 ports ( 2 rear and 2 front)
I don't even know what display adapter it has to get a driver for it LOL
Designed for windows XP sticker still on
And it's slow as...

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Impressive. I really would love to get w10 running of a pentiumiii but it really isnt possible due to the lack of features the pentium 3 has.

A guy on YouTube ran Windows 7 on a dual pentium 3 server. The main issue was actually the graphics chip struggling with the aero theme and not the cpus.

I just arranged a deal for the following + a E6700 for $20 from a friend.
Pentium 4 2.8ghz without hyperthreading (Prescott 2004 model)
Dell PGA478 motherboard
2x512mb or 2x1gb DDR SD ram (not sure, but think its 2x1gb)
250w 20pin DELL PSU.

View: https://imgur.com/NlEbl8U

View: https://imgur.com/5Vz1j9f

I want to see if it can run Windows 10. I will run xp on it normally.

First, I have a few small hitches.
This is not a whole PC, rather the guts of an old dell, probably an old dimension or something. Because of this, these components do not include any optical or hard disk drive. I have an IDE laptop drive and cable, so that is not an issue.
However, I doubt this old of hardware can support booting from USB and i do not have any IDE cd/dvd drives.

Last edited:

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
I have installed Windows 3.0A onto a Nintendo DSi via X86 emulation. That should count for something.
I just arranged a deal for the following + a E6700 for $20 from a friend.
Pentium 4 2.8ghz without hyperthreading (Prescott 2004 model)
Dell PGA478 motherboard
2x512mb or 2x1gb DDR SD ram (not sure, but think its 2x1gb)
250w 20pin DELL PSU.

View: https://imgur.com/NlEbl8U

View: https://imgur.com/5Vz1j9f

I want to see if it can run Windows 10. I will run xp on it normally.

First, I have a few small hitches.
This is not a whole PC, rather the guts of an old dell, probably an old dimension or something. Because of this, these components do not include any optical or hard disk drive. I have an IDE laptop drive and cable, so that is not an issue.
However, I doubt this old of hardware can support booting from USB and i do not have any IDE cd/dvd drives.
You can get into the bios to see if it is able to boot from a usb drive(don't need an os for that). I know it was possible back in the 2004 era. I see you having compatibility issues or things being locked with it being a prebuilt tho. Those are much more annoying to tinker on. You could also probably look up the user manual to see if it supports usb boot. I'm unsure if the bios would even recognize the laptop drive i.p.o r any non original or factory replacement parts.(some do, some don't I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.