What's the Right Age to Introduce Your Kid to Computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds like the timeline for helicopter parents or for slow kids. I know kids develop at different rates. At 5-7 a kid should be able to control a mouse and keyboard themselves with input from someone older if they can't figure something out. But basically do so by themselves. At 8-12 they should know all the menus and how to use a computer better than most adults. Since most adults know little about computers.

Shoot. In the 5-7 age I was screwing around in DOS on my dad's 286 and I could use the Apple IIe at school. Learning DOS commands to open Windows, DOS Shell, programs, move files, &c is far more difficult than today's computers.

At 8-12 I was fixing and upgrading the computer. Along with every other gadget in the house.

13-18 They should know right from wrong and no need for computer supervision. Unless they are a problem child.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The kid in the first image seems old enough to begin using a computer, though you would probably start the kid off with an older laptop, or possibly a cheap netbook so that if they damage it, you are not out a ton of money.

At the ages of 0-2 they can learn the basics of controlling the system (launching applications, using various input devices (mouse, keyboard, touchpad, touchscreen). They can then occupy their own time by doing basic things such as watching cartoons and movies. At age 2-3, they can then use their better understanding of language to take a more active role in using the internet and learning how to keep their system secure. Once they understand the basics of security, then by around 5 years old, they will likely not need any supervision from an adult since you can more easily trust them to not install a ton of malware.

Between the ages of 3 and 5, you may also want to have your kid learn to build a PC and perform basic maintenance. This will not only allow them to be more mindful for the components and more caring in their treatment, but it will also improve their thinking process in solving problems.

USAFRet

Titan

2 and under really shouldn't have any screen time at all.
3 and up, sure...

Age 5ish and no malware? Not likely. They will get influenced by their friends who flat out state that X is "safe".
Poof...compromised system.

My kids sat on my lap as I gamed and worked. Taught them how to use it as they grew, including good security policies and how bad it could get if the protocols were not followed.

They have good habits now, and I could probably run each PC without any virus protection.

Bandock

Reputable
Aug 21, 2016
I was about 3-4 when I first used a computer (which was an Commodore Amiga 2000 at the time). This was around 1991/1992 at least. My younger sister first used a computer at 2 around the time we owned two PCs in the household (which were IBM/x86 PCs at the time). She was able to use it younger primarily because me and my brother were already around.

Me and my father have even shown her quite a few things during those early years.

May 25, 2018
Watch Future crew working. These schmucks are later responsible of benchmarking your GPU (3dMark). It is good that they had supportive parents who didn't want to oversight their childrens computer use. /watch?v=LIIBRr31DIU

Without internet: as soon as they can understand how to use one.

With internet: 18 years old if they have free reign - - - younger only if everything is strictly monitored through hidden censoring software & you keep a close eye on them. Some bad characters out there.

I was born in '89.

My parents taught me to use a PC when i was 4 or 5.
Them lovely 5.5 black floppy and having to enter dos commands to start my educational games (alphabet beach was my most beloved game)

Status
Not open for further replies.