Question What's the strongest half-height MXM graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2023
As I mentioned in the title,I'm now using a overclocked Quadro M2200 in my dell m4800,but I want a better GPU.Are the any better choices except for the 1050ti?

DavidM012

Distinguished
A similar question to yours on dell

'The most powerful GPU that will go into the M4800 would be the M2200. If you do any upgrades past what is in there right now, you will need to mod the drivers and disable "driver signature enforcement" '.

It be looking like you already have the most powerful gpu it will support.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023
A similar question to yours on dell

'The most powerful GPU that will go into the M4800 would be the M2200. If you do any upgrades past what is in there right now, you will need to mod the drivers and disable "driver signature enforcement" '.

It be looking like you already have the most powerful gpu it will support.
Actually I’ve already modified the driver to make the M2200 work in my M4800, so I’m wondering are there any new MXM GPUs that can fit into this.Modded drivers will be okay tho.

DavidM012

Distinguished
That isn't how things work unfortunately. The mobo would probably need a bios update in tandem with new releases of mxm and they probably aren't running that program. Best case scenario would be you put a 3060 in it and it simply doesn't work worst case scenario you put a 3060 in it and it smokes the mobo. Having paid over the odds for an mxm form factor card in the first place.

Jan 17, 2023
That isn't how things work unfortunately. The mobo would probably need a bios update in tandem with new releases of mxm and they probably aren't running that program. Best case scenario would be you put a 3060 in it and it simply doesn't work worst case scenario you put a 3060 in it and it smokes the mobo. Having paid over the odds for an mxm form factor card in the first place.
Thx for the reply anyway, I think you've probably misunderstood me, what I'm looking for now is a MXM 3.0a card that is better than the M2200, btw aren't all of the MXM 3.0a cards compatible with each other? They are using the same PCI-E protocol and the same port.

DavidM012

Distinguished
doesn't look like a huge upgrade - technical city 45fps at 1080p on witcher 3 as opposed to 30 fps (high preset). Your link says 'get a quote' that probably means the price of this item is embarrassingly high. I see one for £150 used on ebay.

I've tried witcher 3 at 720p / 80 fps and it looks horrible.

Jan 17, 2023
doesn't look like a huge upgrade - technical city 45fps at 1080p on witcher 3 as opposed to 30 fps (high preset). Your link says 'get a quote' that probably means the price of this item is embarrassingly high. I see one for £150 used on ebay.

I've tried witcher 3 at 720p / 80 fps and it looks horrible.
Makes sense tho, could you send me the link on ebay? I'll go and check it out.

Jan 17, 2023
Better but you could stiill be frame limited by cpu anyway and it doesn't have a bench for the mxm 1650 but the results should be similar nothing here that won't struggle to get 1080p ultra.
CPU shouldn't be an issue, I'm now using a i7-4930mx which got a performance similar to i7-4770k

DavidM012

Distinguished
you could practically build a new pc for that or simply put that towards a better laptop. Not worth it. Well a gaming laptop with a 3060 is probably over £1200. But the t1000 simply isn't worth considering anyway.

Jan 17, 2023
you could practically build a new pc for that or simply put that towards a better laptop. Not worth it. Well a gaming laptop with a 3060 is probably over £1200. But the t1000 simply isn't worth considering anyway.
Alright I give up. I'll take your advice, it's so freaking annoying to look for a graphics card for my old laptop.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Alright I give up. I'll take your advice, it's so freaking annoying to look for a graphics card for my old laptop.

It's highly annoying, but in a world in which laptops are extremely proprietary, partially in response to fierce competition for size and weight, there are so few laptops that can be meaningfully upgraded that even upgrading those is a very expensive, inefficient nightmare. Until this paradigm changes -- if it ever does -- it's best to consider any laptop frozen at its specs (with the exception of things like storage and RAM) and save upgradeability for your desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.