What's the sweet spot for gaming?

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I've always wondered, the lower latency and timings, the better? I might go with Broadwell or Skylake and wondering what would be best for gaming.

A lot depends on what settings you want. The law of diminishing returns definitely applies. It is amazing how good even merely "medium" settings look in modern games. Although I have better, there is no way a rational individual would conclude I'd be "suffering" if I only had an i3 and a HD7870 (with which I'd be enjoying "High" or better settings in most games).

Games like lower CAS #'s. If I was just gaming I would look for DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7 or 2133Mhz CAS 9. in DDR4 2400Mhz CAS 13.

Game play is so random, since the game doesn't know if your going to turn left or right its hard for it to make the next calculation. That's why a lower cas is always better for gaming.

For rendering or cad work the opposite is true, you want the highest MHz that you can get and don't worry as much on the CAS, since your ram knows were its going I just needs to pump as much info through as fast as it can.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Presently, I have 16GB ddr3-1600 (2x8GB); I don't see many using these timings so I thought I did something wrong for gaming. When I upgrade my system, I was thinking of upping it to 32GB.

I have the Crucial Ballistix Tracers ddr3-1600. Are the dominators worth it or Crucial is pretty good?

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Nope, no cad or office stuff; just gaming/facebook/youtube. How's the 980 by the way? I was going to look into the ROG 980GTX

Hmmm, my earlier answer may have bordered on irrelevance, if this question concerns RAM.
I believe the differences can be larger if you're using an APU but for the most part I'm not sure you're going to see more than 1%-3% difference in performance. RAM and platform differences are typically overshadowed by the strength of the graphics card in games.

Mikeny

Sadly since I built this computer ive been to busy to really game with it. From the few times I do have time to play I haven't seen any issues with the 980. My system just runs on factory settings with all my games set to max settings with no FPS issues.

There is no need to go over 16GB of ram for gaming, most people would say 8Gb is fine for gaming. My top 5 ram manufactures are Mushkin, G.skill, Kingston, Corsair, and Crucial in order of what I would buy. Corsair would be first if they didn't put a premium price on their ram. Back when I had my i7 950 build I did a test between Mushkin and corsair and the mushkin ram would overclock higher with lower cas# then the corsair ram, from that day on I have always bought Mushkin ram with no failures to date. The sticks I have now have overclocked to 2800Mhz cas 11 with no errors, which is lower cas then any stick you can buy right now.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
These are mine: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) UDIMM BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT2TXOB / BLT2CP8G3D1608DT2TXOB

BLT2CP8G3D1608DT2TXOB is a 16GB kit consisting of (2) 8GB DDR3 Performance modules that operates at speeds up to 1600 MT/s and has a CL8 latency with extended timings of 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5V.It is Performance and is non-ECC. It conforms to the industry standard UDIMM layout of 240 pins and is compatible with computers that take DDR3 UDIMM memory.