Question what's up with Lian-Li lcd fans

Smash mouse

Reputable
Oct 27, 2019
So back in march i built a new computer using all Lain-li fans and having three of them be lcd reverse blade fans for my aio, after just a few months the middle fan stopped spinning just totally seized up and would only break free after some manual force was applied to it. I went and got another one to replace and just a 2 months after i replaced it another one of the original three suddenly stopped spinning but the whole time the lcd never stopped working.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that either the fan's motor or bearings are failing.

I would expect that the lcd and motor are on different circuits with respect to the controllers, etc...

Something like the following diagram (Corsair) chosen to represent the connections involved.

And show why the lcd/leds can work but the motor does not...

View: https://i.imgur.com/pcHrQPB.png

You can easily find other similar images and diagrams.

Where were the fans purchased?

Smash mouse

Reputable
Oct 27, 2019
My thought is that either the fan's motor or bearings are failing.

I would expect that the lcd and motor are on different circuits with respect to the controllers, etc...

Something like the following diagram (Corsair) chosen to represent the connections involved.

And show why the lcd/leds can work but the motor does not...

View: https://i.imgur.com/pcHrQPB.png

You can easily find other similar images and diagrams.

Where were the fans purchased?
at the time most of them were acquired through amazon because most places at the time including newegg were on a big back order list. but yes both the fans that failed came from suppliers off of amazon

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First, in a lighted fan the LIGHTS in the frame are completely separate electrically from the MOTOR of the fan. Their power sources and control systems are different, which is why there are two separate cables. By the way, most modern fans have LED lights, not LCD.

Two fans fail in a short time when new? NOT normal. It leaves me suspecting that the fan speed control system for them is mis-adjusted. You should tell us what mobo you have - maker and exact model - and in which mobo fan headers these fans are connected. All fans can stall if sent a signal to run too slow, so there is a minimum speed signal to send out to them. In general the system should NOT ever try to stop the fans. There are automated systems to monitor fans speed signals to detect a fan that sops and attempt to re-start it, but that may NOT work for ALL fans, especially in a multi-fan connection group. Sometimes people set fan control systems to run too slowly to eliminate noise, but SLOW fans mean POOR cooling - you can't have silence plus good cooling! With info on how there fans are connected and where, we can advise the best configuration settings.