[SOLVED] What's using all my ram?

claytonscharf

Honorable
Jan 3, 2018
I've noticed some weird inconsistencies with my ram usage in Windows 10. When I go into the task manager, it says I'm using about 33% of my ram at idle. When I look at all the processes, there is no way they all add up to 5 gigs ram (I have 16 gigs). When I go to performance though, it says I'm using about 5 gigs, which would make sense. When I go to the user tab, it says I'm using about 2.5 gigs which is reasonable (I mean I haven't done the math but, from the looks of it all the ram being used by my processes adds up to the value under my user) So, what the hell is using up the other 2.5 gigs? Is windows just saying I have 16 but is really only using 8 and doubling the numbers?

Solution
I assume its probably Windows itself shoveling some stuff on your RAM

However when you do anything that needs that RAM windows should free it up, such as when you're playing games for example.

I got 16GB as well and seem to be at about 26% usage while idle with just steam and my antivirus in the background by comparison

Furzumz

Reputable
I assume its probably Windows itself shoveling some stuff on your RAM

However when you do anything that needs that RAM windows should free it up, such as when you're playing games for example.

I got 16GB as well and seem to be at about 26% usage while idle with just steam and my antivirus in the background by comparison

Solution