Question What's would be a better router than the Linksys WRT1900AC?

I've had this router for a couple of years and no issues with it overall. It does a good job now but I would like to see faster wifi speeds if possible. I understand that distance also plays a role in wifi performance.

Been looking at reviews and many of the newer routers have MU-MIMO. We dropped cable a while ago so we stream using AppleTV throughout the house as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
I've had this router for a couple of years and no issues with it overall. It does a good job now but I would like to see faster wifi speeds if possible. I understand that distance also plays a role in wifi performance.

Been looking at reviews and many of the newer routers have MU-MIMO. We dropped cable a while ago so we stream using AppleTV throughout the house as well.

What WIFI speeds do you get today? You may not be able to improve. 400Mbit is about the limit of 5Ghz WIFI.

RealBeast

Titan

That router is still fine, I would consider adding an AP or two (or cheap AC routers configured as an AP) if you are having signal issues in distant areas. I'm up to 5 APs in my pretty big house/guest house and basic early AC is still my go to equipment.

You could consider upgrading to an AC downlink MU-MIMO model, but that wouldn't get you nearly the advantage you hope, relative to more APs. 5GHz just doesn't have the distance due to its greater absorption by matter, walls, air, even glass and window tinting.

The newest AX routers are not really going to give you better distance, but for capable devices they will support more devices at better speed -- but only if the devices also support the AX standards. Personally, I am holding off on considering AX for a while, until more of the issues are worked out with the many newer additions.

Thank you both for the information.

They way our 3,000 square foot house is set up, the cable modem and wireless router are on the second floor. My pc is on the first floor and using h an Asus x570 Wifi motherboard with these wifi specs;

Intel Wireless-AC 9260
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Supports dual band frequency 2.4/5 GHz
Supports MU-MIMO
Supports channel bandwidth: HT20/HT40/HT80/HT160. Up to 1.73Gbps transfer speed

The Asus x570 will get 200-220Mbps. And now that I look at our internet provider it's about maxed out as they provide 200Mbps.

In the basement I have my old x58 i7 960 and on a dongle it's about 40Mbps. I have a PCIe wifi adapter that will be delivered later this week.

Have an AppleTV in the basement too and it gets decent signal strength as the video stream is not interrupted at 1080p.

At some point I could get try and run a couple Ethernet cables to create additional access points.

So it looks like I'm ok with my current set up.

Thanks again!

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you both for the information.

They way our 3,000 square foot house is set up, the cable modem and wireless router are on the second floor. My pc is on the first floor and using h an Asus x570 Wifi motherboard with these wifi specs;

Intel Wireless-AC 9260
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Supports dual band frequency 2.4/5 GHz
Supports MU-MIMO
Supports channel bandwidth: HT20/HT40/HT80/HT160. Up to 1.73Gbps transfer speed

The Asus x570 will get 200-220Mbps. And now that I look at our internet provider it's about maxed out as they provide 200Mbps.

In the basement I have my old x58 i7 960 and on a dongle it's about 40Mbps. I have a PCIe wifi adapter that will be delivered later this week.

Have an AppleTV in the basement too and it gets decent signal strength as the video stream is not interrupted at 1080p.

At some point I could get try and run a couple Ethernet cables to create additional access points.

So it looks like I'm ok with my current set up.

Thanks again!
Your basement PC may only be able to use 2.4Ghz and 40Mbit is about average.

I installed a Gigabyte WiFi Bluetooth PCIe 1x card. Dual band with what looked like a cheesy antenna.

The dongle has a single beam forming tube about 2.5 inches long would get 40-60 Mbps in the basement.

The PCIe card average is 177 Mbps.

I didn’t think my current routers signal strength was that good, or was my house built that cheaply?

Reactions: RealBeast