[SOLVED] What's wrong with my system?

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
So basically, I've been learning and experimenting with CPU and GPU overclocking over the past 2 years, throughout those 2 years it was an on and off process of trying, failing, having an issue no one has ever had before, giving up for a few months and then coming back to try again. Recently I've pretty much mastered all the essential GPU overclocking techniques, info, and the logic behind it. But CPU overclocking has been the biggest problem because I've learned what most the options are and what they do and what is the optimal setting for them BUT on my system, none of the general public experiences apply.

I've been reading into what is the best way to oc recently and have found that a lot of people really like AMDs PBO because it's easy and better than stock, and have also learned that manual overclocking (if done properly) is overall better than PBO and auto oc. I would prefer to manually oc, because I know what is what and would spend time actually doing it to get the most performance possible.

I began CPU overclocking around 1.5 years ago a bit after I got my current pc, I began by messing around with the frequency multiplier, core voltage, soc voltage, and LLC settings, not seeing much success I gave up and left it at 4ghz, throughout the next year and a half I didn't change much of the core settings but messed around and found out what all the settings do.

But as of recently I actually set out for what I wanted to achieve (4.2ghz stable under 1.475v) and started proper testing with cinebench and cpu-z, the only problem is that any manual oc I try, even 4ghz at 1.4v + maximum LLC settings which resulted in 1.5v in cpu-z, It would never actually complete a run and would always crash. With PBO it completed the run but under stock values being at a frequency of 3650mhz by the end of the benchmark.

Now, this is absolute [redacted] rubbish and even if I got the worst silicon lottery in the world it still shouldn't be this bad, so like is it my mobo which is causing problems or is my CPU really that [redacted] bad?

PC Specs :

CPU : Ryzen 7 2700x @ 4Ghz (Stable for general use and gaming but crashes in heavy video rendering or synthetic benchmarks)
With stock cooler

GPU : eVGA GeForce GTX1070Ti SC Black

Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS Gaming

RAM : GeIL 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 SUPER LUCE RGB SYNC C16 3000Mhz

Storage 1 : Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Storage 2 : Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 3.5" 2TB

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650W Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
First off, near 1.5v of power to the CPU is the first problem. You're advised to stay below 1.3v. Best if you can stay at 1.25v. Also, with all the headaches with overclocking you're just better off leaving it as is. You're also on a stock cooler, which also leads me to tell you to invest in at least a 240mm AIO or a 360mm AIO and you should be able to complete your runs on benchmarks but the volts are not healthy for long term use.

Which BIOS version are you currently on?

Lutfij

Titan
First off, near 1.5v of power to the CPU is the first problem. You're advised to stay below 1.3v. Best if you can stay at 1.25v. Also, with all the headaches with overclocking you're just better off leaving it as is. You're also on a stock cooler, which also leads me to tell you to invest in at least a 240mm AIO or a 360mm AIO and you should be able to complete your runs on benchmarks but the volts are not healthy for long term use.

Solution

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
I had a plain 1700. I think I ran it at 3.9GHz at about 1.38V.
PBO then is different to PBO on 3000 series CPUs.
See https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc
For my 3900X, I followed Buildzoid and set PBO with +200Mhz and XMP and got a score about the equivalent of running a manual overclock at 4.2. I run PBO most of the time.
I also set manual OC profiles in bios for 4.3 at 1.3V and 4.4GHz at 1.38V. I only run these for benchmark testing.

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019

I am probably never going to invest in water cooling because that's a trek, and other people on the stock cooler are having much more luck than I am. I don't mind going above 1.3 but would rather stay below 1.4 and definitely stay below 1.45-1.475

Latest bios ver 2202

Last edited:

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
I had a plain 1700. I think I ran it at 3.9GHz at about 1.38V.
PBO then is different to PBO on 3000 series CPUs.
See https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc
For my 3900X, I followed Buildzoid and set PBO with +200Mhz and XMP and got a score about the equivalent of running a manual overclock at 4.2. I run PBO most of the time.
I also set manual OC profiles in bios for 4.3 at 1.3V and 4.4GHz at 1.38V. I only run these for benchmark testing.
But if I run PBO auto voltage auto frequency, I get 4.2ghz on idle, 3.7-3.65ghz CBR20 and average a voltage of 1.5 volts at idle, and 1.2 at full load. Also if I put a negative offset of 0.75 or 0.5 volts, PBO is basically useless for me, because at that point stock runs better. And at the end of the CBR20 run PBO puts my voltage down to basically stock settings at 1.2-1.25v

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
With PBO, you shouldn't get 1.5V unless it's at near idle and it's only 1 or 2 cores doing the work.
But if I run PBO auto voltage auto frequency, I get 4.2ghz on idle, 3.7-3.65ghz CBR20 and average a voltage of 1.5 volts at idle, and 1.2 at full load. Also if I put a negative offset of 0.75 or 0.5 volts, PBO is basically useless for me, because at that point stock runs better. And at the end of the CBR20 run PBO puts my voltage down to basically stock settings at 1.2-1.25v
^ sorry I edited it

ZFGFade

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
I figured it out. My temps are causing crashes, I now run 3.95ghz at 1.325 volts (auto LLC), still getting pretty high temps in CBR20 all core (85-90c by the end) but no crashes. Honestly might save up to get the Noctua NH-D15.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
I hope we helped to steer you in the right direction.

If you want to use PBO, then follow Builzoids guide.
If you want to run a manual OC then keep the voltages low - per Lutfij and my suggestions.