Super 7 (R Type)
Lotus Elise
Euro M5 wagon (E60)
MB Lifejet (sweetest concept ever)
I could go on....

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
A Bugatti Veyron would be fun to drive once or twice but my dream car would be a commute car that gets 100+MPG and low cost, say in the $20,000 range. If you mean sports car, then I'd go for a Lambo Coutach. I just love the look.

G

A flying one. It's 2009 now and IIRC from my youth we were supposed to have one by 2000.
Failing that an 1937 Cord 812 Sedan. Like driving around in your own personal supercharged art deco sculpture. Amazing.

runswindows95

Distinguished
delorean1.jpg

Nuff said.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Delorean - the direct result of cocaine use (and certainly some hallucinogens). Everyone thinks "what would Back to the Future be without the Delorean", but in reality it was the opposite, the Delorean was nothing before the movie, and it's popularity was a result of it's inclusion in the series. Sorry to rain on your parade if you were serious about the Delorean (and not the idea of owning a car that was featured in a movie, or dream of a flying car).

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

To say that the Delorean was nothing before the movie is inaccurate. The Delorean was quite popular for a short time (like a fad or firework) but was poorly constructed/made with an underpowered engine. When the Delorean first came out there were long waiting lists for the car. There is little doubt that this car was about style and it has this in spades. Even in back to the future Dr Brown says "The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?". This car was definitely not nothing, regardless of whether you like it or not. Though there is some smidgen of truth in your words as John Delorean was arrested and charged with conspiring to smuggle a whole lot of cocaine into the US. This however, does not alter the impact of the Delorean on pop culture.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Yeah, I'll be honest, I wasn't even born when this car was in production, so I can't attest to it's actually popularity before the movies, but a friend of mine who's a car collector admitted they were poorly designed and that 99% of it's popularity came from it being featured in those films, and not from how the car was received. Honestly who wants a car that cost $25000 (1981 dollars) and produces 170hp? The funniest thing in the Wikipedia article (regarding its inclusion in the Back to the Future films):

Six DMC-12s were co-opted for use in the making of the films. For the second and third films, producers replaced the underpowered stock engines in their production cars with Porsche engines.

sailer

Splendid
A dream car? Make mine a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO Berlinetta. Only a few dozen were made, but it was essentially a Formula 1 racer with an aluminum body so it would be legal for the street. Fantastic hp for its time with its 3 liter V12 engine. There was a time when I could have bought one for $10,000, but I felt that was too much money. Now they sell for around $20 million dollars. OK, big mistake on not buying it.

The Delorean was a nice concept car, but had poor execution and was very underpowered. In the Back to the Future movie, it had to get up to 88mph, if I remember correctly. In real life, it had trouble doing that. I passed on buying one new, thank God, and later looked at a used one with the intention of putting a different engine in it. But when I discovered the massive amount of troubles in the second car, I passed on that as well.

meatwad53186

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
No mention of a Pagani Zonda or a Mclaren F1? That's surprising. I would love either of those two cars, but if we are going to be realistic, I wish I could take that Delorean back in time to pick up a brand new VW Mark IV R32, and bring it back to the present haha. I'm a real sucker for the Mark IV hatchback style, and the AWD platform packaged with a 3.2 litre race-bred engine that can put down around 500 HP at the wheels for a few thousand dollars in modifications is not bad at all.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
At the moment a Nissan GT-R, for the money (Actually a realistic dream) untouchable and I love japanese cars - always had something future-robotic about them rather than an aerodynamics experiment....

Infact I think the GT-R's vents are styled on manga gundam robots - not to everyones tastes, but i like it.

jsimeon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Koenigsegg ccxr, Skyline, 1st or 2nd gen z28, challenger 570x or a mr norm, 66 mustang GT 350, ford gt, f150 stx (good truck already have it), redbull f1 with Ferrari V8 Type 056 motor.....

There are really to many to list. Lived in Detroit for years and though I never worked directly for one of the big three I have always been relatively ford loyal especially now that the other two are owned by the government. I dont think that I will ever buy a gm or chrysler made after 2008.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

I'm hoping for a re-entry of the retro thunderbird. With Ford's new Eco-Boost, it's about time for a modern rendition of the old Turbo Coupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.