WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
i have to agree with the norton haters here!

i read somewhere "dont quote me" that norton sucks up a ridiculous amount of system ram. i wish i could remember the exact number but it was enough for both eyes.

Second here.

Norton is crap, and it even gets worst if you try to uninstall it since the d@mn thing is too intrusive with Windows files. I had a horrible experience trying to uninstall Norton 2004 from a friends comp and believe me, it was one hell of a experience since the damn thing corrupted the windows registry and some other important stuff in the windows kernel. I ended up formatting the whole HD which took my work even longer.

As I said before, F-Secure is really a good antivirus program. Just give it a try here:
http://esd.element5.com/demoreg.html?productid=300042689&languageid=1

9-Inch: Ohh, i almost forgot. here's a review of the best antivirus programs available and as you all can see, BitDefender is the best.
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
I really don't know how reliable that source is, but definately F-Secure works for me.

like i said above, I cant even remove NORTON SYSTEM GO BACK! with out losing everything on the computer. if it werent for important work files on this rig id strip it down faster than adriana lima!

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
The fact is, that uber-trojans straight from the programmer's desktop will get by any anti-virus for a fair amount of time unless publicly released. Virus writers also have what's known as packers/binders that will change the tiny pieces of data in a file that virus programs read, which essentially turns any old virus into an undetectable. an anti-virus is only as good as the definitions, and kaspersky by far has the best...

OK, I got it.

Well, to my previous experience, F-Secure does have good file definitions and they upload them 2 or 4 times in a day (depends on new threats).

Some time ago I used AVG 6.0 and I really liked it because it's not a system resource hog, but once it finds viruses "on the fly" (while you're using internet) it can't delete them. That was something really weird since you know your AV is working but it can't delete, heal or rename those viruses once it finds them; also, virus definitions in AVG are not that good and that was the final reason why a change this AV program :?

Status
Not open for further replies.