Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 109 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
rdr2 online rules. me and all my homies are getting super wealthy and high ranked with all the best gear and horses.. lol, can't wait for more business to run. we ride as 7 person posse and go whoopin and a whoppin all over the map... just love it... griefers get explosive ammo for one hit kills... keeps em from coming back after you kill them 10 or so times in a row

my advice, don't wait for patches, get your arse in gear and get cranking online now!

I can't wait to start playing online, but am waiting to finish the main game 1st. It's gonna take me awhile tho as I am purposely moving at a snails pace. :)

WildCard999

Titan
rdr2 online rules. me and all my homies are getting super wealthy and high ranked with all the best gear and horses.. lol, can't wait for more business to run. we ride as 7 person posse and go whoopin and a whoppin all over the map... just love it... griefers get explosive ammo for one hit kills... keeps em from coming back after you kill them 10 or so times in a row

my advice, don't wait for patches, get your arse in gear and get cranking online now!

edit
we like dedicated, peaceful players to be in your ever growing group on discord. people who don't destroy others stuff or harm them. we work together like businessmen and get super rich doing so. we ride together always to protect the goods for delivery

we need tons of people from all over the world so there's always action going down on the sales channel. I've met some awesome peeps from UK, Scotland, Norway, etc.. and we have lots of fun.
Sounds fun! I'll probably end up getting it next Friday and would love to join a dedicated online group so hit me up in conversation.

D

Deleted member 14196

Sounds fun! I'll probably end up getting it next Friday and would love to join a dedicated online group so hit me up in conversation.
well, see, I'm on xbox and you are probably going to be on PC, right? they don't have cross platform support unfortunately. PM me if you are on xbox and want to join up. I will see if they have a PC Discord channel.

Off topic.

I had something really weird just happen with me. I was playing Control and noticed how my performance was worse than usual. I first thought it might be because of the latest nvidia drivers that geforce experience installed a few days ago. But then I noticed that it had already been installed since the last time I had played the game.
I reinstalled the drivers but it didn't help me. The game was performing a lot worse than it usually does. When I turned on RTX, it really tanked my FPS. This has never happened before.
I checked Gears 5 but it was running fine no issues. Then I tried Forza Horizon 4 and noticed that it was lagging too, stuttering every 10 seconds or so. Then I remembered that these two games I had issues with were installed on the SSD. I then decided to restart my PC and voila, my problem was solved.
I don't know if this was a software issue (Windows not being able to read the data properly) or hardware one. Need to check my SSD health. I am strongly on the side of this being a software issue though.

I had just installed an aftermarket cooler (DeepCool Gammaxx GTE) and wanted to check my temperatures while gaming. Pretty happy with the results although the drop in performance scared me a bit.

Off topic.

I had something really weird just happen with me. I was playing Control and noticed how my performance was worse than usual. I first thought it might be because of the latest nvidia drivers that geforce experience installed a few days ago. But then I noticed that it had already been installed since the last time I had played the game.
I reinstalled the drivers but it didn't help me. The game was performing a lot worse than it usually does. When I turned on RTX, it really tanked my FPS. This has never happened before.
I checked Gears 5 but it was running fine no issues. Then I tried Forza Horizon 4 and noticed that it was lagging too, stuttering every 10 seconds or so. Then I remembered that these two games I had issues with were installed on the SSD. I then decided to restart my PC and voila, my problem was solved.
I don't know if this was a software issue (Windows not being able to read the data properly) or hardware one. Need to check my SSD health. I am strongly on the side of this being a software issue though.
When I first installed my new Samsung EVO 500GB NVMe, I noticed a bit of texture corruption on GRW captures that weren't happening before (game was installed on the new drive). I then realized I hadn't installed the driver for the drive., which seemed to clear it up.

I'm about to install SW Jedi Fallen Order in a few minutes. I don't have quite enough space left on my EVO right now, so I'll probably put it on one of my WD Black 1TB HDDs that has about 90GB free space (game takes up 60GB).

BTW, when I talk in terms of free space, that's after calculating in leaving 15% of the actual whole drive capacity free, which you should do on both HDDs and SSDs, in case you aren't. I'll report back when I get a feel for the game's gameplay and performance.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I'm about to install SW Jedi Fallen Order in a few minutes. I don't have quite enough space left on my EVO right now, so I'll probably put it on one of my WD Black 1TB HDDs that has about 90GB free space (game takes up 60GB).

This looks good. Please let us know how it plays as I've been hearing great things about this game. Huge fan here of the earlier SW games, Dark Forces, Jedi Academy, Republic Commando among others. I lost interest when SW:TFU & SW:B were released.

This looks good. Please let us know how it plays as I've been hearing great things about this game. Huge fan here of the earlier SW games, Dark Forces, Jedi Academy, Republic Commando among others. I lost interest when SW:TFU & SW:B were released.
I'm really liking it so far. It plays fine on my sig spec at max settings 1440p DSR. This is one Unreal Engine game that needs no file tweaking, looks very good out of the box. Performance is really smooth. It's so smooth that this is one game I can play without my glasses. I generally only wear my glasses when playing games, but it looks fine and feels comfortable to my eyes without them.

I'm playing on the default difficulty, and for me, it doesn't feel too easy (or too hard once you get the hang of it). They nailed the manual saber deflect, it has to be timed right, yet isn't too hard and is rewarding. I'm having a bit of trouble using the Evade Kick ability I bought, but the tutorial shows it being used against creatures low to the ground vs humans, so it may be limited to that.

The ability menu is pretty good size though, and there are a lot of animations Cal does before even buying any abilities depending how he and the enemy are positioned. It all feels pretty natural too. At the same time you can't let your timing and reactions slip, it's definitely not automatic cheesy stuff, even on Default difficulty. Nothing troublesome once you get in the flow though.

There's lots of exploring and puzzle navigating in this game, and it goes well beyond just the wall running/climbing, and ledge traversing shown in the trailer. There's times you will stop and wonder/realize if you need to probably progress further through the game to acquire more abilities, then come back to Great Divide to unlock more things.

There's lots of collectibles to find that change the look of your clothes and light saber. I also really love the look of dark caves, as you can hold the saber above you to light the way. Everything looks as good graphically in caves as outdoors, and the outdoor natural environment looks pretty good too. Everything from loading docks to ship interiors looks great as well.

BD 1 is adorable, not just the droid itself, but how he behaves in scenes. He definitely feels like a main character. I haven't gotten to any of the tough enemies yet, as I took some time off with original Gears of War and finally not only got it properly installed and logged into GfWL on W10 1903, but am managing to run it at 4K DSR with a file edit bumping Detail Mode up from 2 to 5. I'm also running Nvidia Sharpen at 50%. I have to say it looks incredible.

Anyway, regarding JFO, so far I can do nothing but highly recommend it! (y)

BTW, anyone know how to remove the round, orange subscribe button in the upper left of embedded YT videos? This seems to be something new they added, and I don't like it cluttering the image for those whom view them in the viewer vs full screen.

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I'm really liking it so far. It plays fine on my sig spec at max settings 1440p DSR. This is one Unreal Engine game that needs no file tweaking, looks very good out of the box. Performance is really smooth. It's so smooth that this is one game I can play without my glasses. I generally only wear my glasses when playing games, but it looks fine and feels comfortable to my eyes without them.

I'm playing on the default difficulty, and for me, it doesn't feel too easy (or too hard once you get the hang of it). They nailed the manual saber deflect, it has to be timed right, yet isn't too hard and is rewarding. I'm having a bit of trouble using the Evade Kick ability I bought, but the tutorial shows it being used against creatures low to the ground vs humans, so it may be limited to that.

The ability menu is pretty good size though, and there are a lot of animations Cal does before even buying any abilities depending how he and the enemy are positioned. It all feels pretty natural too. At the same time you can't let your timing and reactions slip, it's definitely not automatic cheesy stuff, even on Default difficulty. Nothing troublesome once you get in the flow though.

There's lots of exploring and puzzle navigating in this game, and it goes well beyond just the wall running/climbing, and ledge traversing shown in the trailer. There's times you will stop and wonder/realize if you need to probably progress further through the game to acquire more abilities, then come back to Great Divide to unlock more things.

There's lots of collectibles to find that change the look of your clothes and light saber. I also really love the look of dark caves, as you can hold the saber above you to light the way. Everything looks as good graphically in caves as outdoors, and the outdoor natural environment looks pretty good too. Everything from loading docks to ship interiors looks great as well.

BD 1 is adorable, not just the droid itself, but how he behaves in scenes. He definitely feels like a main character. I haven't gotten to any of the tough enemies yet, as I took some time off with original Gears of War and finally not only got it properly installed and logged into GfWL on W10 1903, but am managing to run it at 4K DSR with a file edit bumping Detail Mode up from 2 to 5. I'm also running Nvidia Sharpen at 50%. I have to say it looks incredible.

Anyway, regarding JFO, so far I can do nothing but highly recommend it! (y)

BTW, anyone know how to remove the round, orange subscribe button in the upper left of embedded YT videos? This seems to be something new they added, and I don't like it cluttering the image for those whom view them in the viewer vs full screen.

The Videos I've watched so far has really peaked my interest. I'm a sucker for a good droid (Why Claptrap is my favorite even if he isn't the newest pile of moving circuits on the block nad I liked K2SO from SW:RO) and BD1 did look great. Glad to hear he/she/it is. Have you gotten into any saber duels yet? One hit one kill or do they take into consideration some armor types were resistant to lightsabers? I wonder how long the game is. Open world to an extent?

The Videos I've watched so far has really peaked my interest. I'm a sucker for a good droid (Why Claptrap is my favorite even if he isn't the newest pile of moving circuits on the block nad I liked K2SO from SW:RO) and BD1 did look great. Glad to hear he/she/it is. Have you gotten into any saber duels yet? One hit one kill or do they take into consideration some armor types were resistant to lightsabers? I wonder how long the game is. Open world to an extent?
Don't want to spoil anything for you, but there's...
...a saber fight early on, but not a true fight. It's just to help setup the story. Other than that, no saber duel yet.

I spent most of the time trying to find all the collectibles and access all the locked areas in Great Divide. After a while I gave up and figured some things you need to come back for. That area is definitely open worldish. When I left there the helm of the ship we were on offered two other worlds to go to. Since the main objective was on one of them, I went there. It left me feeling like you could probably if you want choose to explore the other first, like in case you needed to scavenge to prepare for a battle or whatever.

I'm pretty sure as far as saber stuff goes it will stay to canon, whereby you can fairly easily take out most enemies, but those big guys equipped with high tech weapons that are trained to fight Jedi shown in the trailers, and of course others wielding sabers, are going to be a challenge. There are some in between that can also keep you on your toes just due to having better armor. Some creatures so far have been a challenge even with saber too, but of course I'm just starting and haven't many skills. Suffice it to say early on sometimes your best option is avoiding.

HowLongToBeat.com, which is a site that takes time submissions from all players, so far says 14 hours main story, 19 hours main + extra, and 29.5 hours completionist.

As for Alyx, the name didn't even dawn on me until I saw the Valve logo. Not a big fan of floating hands/arms though. I look at VR and can't help but think it ruins the immersion as much as doing anything for it because of that kind of thing. What's next, we play a Strider with no legs? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Have played a bit of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order at a friends and it is pretty fun. Reminds more of The Force Unleashed than other Star Wars games though. After the first couple videos I saw I figured it would, but was still really hoping it would be somewhat more like Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy.

I have forsaken Borderlands 3 for the time being for a short dive into This Is My Land's early access. This game is pretty awesome if you enjoy a lot of crafting, base building and 3rd person stealth combat. The state it is in now is very playable with loads of content and looks great. So far I have really enjoyed clearing out all the hostile white invaders from the native savage lands.

Last edited:
Have played a bit of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order at a friends and it is pretty fun. Reminds more of The Force Unleashed than other Star Wars games though. After the first couple videos I saw I figured it would, but was still really hoping it would be somewhat more like Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy.
It's got far more intricacy in it's level design than any Star Wars game I've played. It takes some doing just to figure out how to traverse all the pathways, and then you have some fairly sophisticated puzzles along the way. I really like the steam vents and slides, and how they combo the slides with ropes and wall runs.

Last night was a pretty good session, getting in my first 2nd Sister fight, and acquiring Force Pull. I also got Grasping Pull, which I have to say, felt like the turning point of revenge. Next I'm looking to get the double blade saber and double jump, so I stopped at Dathomir to end my session.

The game is very fun indeed. I really only have two complaints. One is the hitching. I can play it on 1440p DSR, but if I do it hitches noticeably in spots, so I'm using 1080p now. The other is the way the Wookies look. I can only hope their being very skinny with sparse fur is due to suffering from malnutrition as prisoners.

Battlefront II Wookie
MicUQMM.jpg

Jedi Fallen Order Wookie
tIcgJ6A.jpg

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
A RDR2 adventure....

”…As dusk fell and the night’s creatures came to life around me, all I could think about was getting back to camp and cooking up some of this fresh Steelhead trout I’d caught along the banks of that small river I’d just left. While I wasn’t sure if it even had a name, the fish in its waters sure liked those worms I’d used. I’d have to remember to thank that clerk at the general store in that last small town I’d ridden through the day before for suggesting I used them as bait and for selling me his last tub if ever I found myself back his way. As I reached the main road, I gave a quick tug on the reins, slowing old Nibbler down from her brisk trot to a slow walk before coming to a stop next to a weathered sign pointing to the distant town of Rhodes. Such a fine night as this seemed like as good a time as any for a few mouthfuls of that homemade brew those 2 odd fellas I’d met in the swamp had given me yesterday after helping them find some ingredients for their next batch of what they called moonshine. I wasn’t sure how that wild swamp tobacco I found for them was gonna make it taste but after a quick look around to make sure no surprises were about to make themselves known, I pulled the cap off of the small bottle they’d given me and took a good pull. “Pbahh!” No sooner had I’d swallowed when I began to feel sick and was barely able to turn my head off to the side before it all came back up, burning my throat and sending up small puffs of dust on the dry ground below, some of which splattering upon my horse’s hooves. Nickering her displeasure at the acrid smell, I felt bad and promised her an apple as way of amends once back at camp. This moonshine tasted like someone put had put out their cigar in a cheap bottle of whiskey and left it in the sun before pouring a glass!

As I spat one more time off to the side, in an effort to get the last of the taste out of my mouth, an orange glow off in the darkness a good distance ahead caught my eye. Wiping my mouth on my shirt sleeve, I threw the bottle into the bushes by the side of the road and kicked my heels into Nibblers flanks. No one lived out this way as far as I recalled so it was probably just a small logging camp or maybe a trapper had allowed his fire to get a little too big I thought to myself. As I got closer I began to make out blurred shapes against the backdrop of the flames. My first thought of a logging camp seeming to be the correct guess due to the number of people moving about.

Hiding my horse behind an old broken down wagon someone had long ago abandoned on the side of the road, its wood silvered with age and vines all but covering it, I unslung my rifle & took a look through its scope at a copse of trees just ahead where the glow was coming from. What was blurry a moment ago, came into sharp relief. A small group of people were definitely burning something, but whatever it was, was mostly blocked by the trees so I couldn’t get a good look. Tying Nibblers reins to the wagon, I patted her neck, calming her. Probably not the best idea to go riding or even walking into a strange group of people’s camp under cover of darkness, so I slung my rifle back over my shoulder and did a quick check of my pistol and sawed off, making sure both were loaded and then crouching low, moved towards the fire, keeping the largest clumps of sage grass between them & myself in case they had any guards about. Soon the sounds of muffled voices reached me and crouching behind the trunk of a large tree a stone’s throw from the fire, I peeked around and what I saw damn near made me lose my bowels then & there!

Now I ain’t a god fearin man, but nor would I spit in his eye if I saw him. So you can imagine my fright when I beheld not 50 feet away a group of ghosts surrounding a Christian Cross. As I watched, several of them were doing their best tryin to set the thing alight, though it looked like they was havin difficulties in doing so if their arguments were anything to go by. Now it took me longer than I like to admit, but I found it odd ghosts would be talking and milling about with a cross looming there above them, smoldering away. Not that I knew what ghosts did or didn’t do mind you, but if I had to guess, it wouldn’t be this. I also found it mighty odd that the ghost doin the talkin had an accent, one I couldn’t place, but an accent none-the-less. Somethin wasn’t right here… So I took a few deep breaths to calm my nerves and well hidden behind the tree as I was, I started to pay attention to what was being said to the others and it didn’t take long for me to realize that they weren’t no ghosts but a group of men all dressed up in white sheets. From what they was saying it seemed like they were expectin a good deal more people to be present than the handful or so that had showed up.

I’d been hearing about these fellas who dressed up all in white goin on about the “greater good” & all that nonesense. At the time it seemed like saloon whiskey talk to me, but there they were pain as could be. Realizin I had little to fear from these hooded rodents, I stood up and walked into the clearin where they were all standing. To them, I musta looked like a ghost I’d moments ago thought they were, appearing suddenly in their midst like I did. So much so that a good few of their numbers immediately scattered. One of them I scared so badly that when he stepped back, he lost his footing and stumbled right into the cross that was, by this time, ironically enough, fully ablaze. I’m guessing his outfit musta been mighty flammable as he immediately burst into flames and as he ran around flapping his arms trying to put out the flames, he kinda looked like a cross himself. Still, I didn’t care much for his screaming, so I pulled out my pistol, pulled back the hammer, aimed & fired. The spray out the back of his head made a brief sizzling sound before he dropped to the ground.

As the echo of my shot faded away, giving place to the crackle of burning wood, I took a look around me, my pistol sweeping the area in front of me. A needless gesture, as everyone had scattered with only the leader remainin or whoever he was as they was all wearin hoods so I didn’t know if he was the boss of the group or the shoe shine boy. I’m guessin he didn’t much care for me breaking up his little party if the knife he was in the process of removing from inside his robe was any indication. As I stood there watching him trying to pull what looked like a knife as long as his leg out of his robe, I couldn’t help but think that some people just weren’t any smarter than the animals on the farm they had left.

Shaking my head I walked up to him, drew my fist back and knocked him clean out. I was about to whistle for my horse, but realized she was still tied up at the wagon out on the road and I couldn’t just leave him there, so I quickly searched his robes and helped myself to what he had on him which ended up being nothing more than a can of peaches, which he had in his holster? What the hell? I picked him up, walked to the cross which was now little more than hot coals and threw him in. His screams were brief, on account of my pistol causing the coals beneath him to sizzle. The glow of the cross had mostly faded now and as I walked back to where I’d tied up Nibblers, the nights creatures around me, once again came to life as theirs were no longer disturbed…

I’m looking forward to getting back to camp and having peaches with my trout…."

Last edited:

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Taking a break from RDR2 to play Middle-earth: shadow of war, love this game.... Middle-earth: shadow of mordor was one of my all time favorites and shadow of war is bigger and better. The batman-esque combat is so fun, so easy to just jump in and kill a bunch of orcs then stop whenever you want

Taking a break from RDR2 to play Middle-earth: shadow of war, love this game.... Middle-earth: shadow of mordor was one of my all time favorites and shadow of war is bigger and better. The batman-esque combat is so fun, so easy to just jump in and kill a bunch of orcs then stop whenever you want
Have you met Gnarl the Singer yet? He's hilarious.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Have you met Gnarl the Singer yet? He's hilarious.

LOL not yet, is he the one who plays a lute and sings? I watched a review for it a while back and they referenced the many different types/skills/personalities/etc of the orc captains and said something like "with all the combinations you'll meet many colorful orc captains, such as this one who sings you a love ballad before trying to cut your head off" I think his name was "(something) the Bard". I always like the ones who don't talk though, some of them are super long-winded lol... you'll be in the middle of fighting regular orcs and a captain shows up then gives this huge speech before engaging you

The RE 3 Remake is now official, and it's looking good. I'm thinking I'll enjoy this every bit as much as the RE 2 Remake. This is currently scheduled for an April 3 release in 2020. It begs the question whether there will be problems competing with Cyberpunk 2077 sales (releasing less than 2 weeks after), or even fall prey to late April Fools pranks. Regardless, it's on my list.

Official Announcement Trailer

Special Developer Message

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I'm pretty much always down for all things Umbrella. I do wish new material would be introduced vs a games "remake" though that's not to say a remake is bad, just smacks of "We have nothing new so lets take an old game and make it shiny" Which again, isn't necessarily a bad thing. :)

Hmm.. I'd like these or these to be sitting next to my tower in my office at home..

I'm pretty much always down for all things Umbrella. I do wish new material would be introduced vs a games "remake" though that's not to say a remake is bad, just smacks of "We have nothing new so lets take an old game and make it shiny" Which again, isn't necessarily a bad thing. :)
Well when you consider a lot of PC players never played the original titles due to no KB/M support, and the fact they they had very limited camera angles and awkward movement because of it, I think it's more than justified.

RE 2 Remake also adds some stuff the original didn't have. I've seen even people whom played the original say the Remake was refreshing to play because it's different in many ways. It's said Mikami didn't even want to give RE 4 mouse support.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Well when you consider a lot of PC players never played the original titles due to no KB/M support, and the fact they they had very limited camera angles and awkward movement because of it, I think it's more than justified.

RE 2 Remake also adds some stuff the original didn't have. I've seen even people whom played the original say the Remake was refreshing to play because it's different in many ways. It's said Mikami didn't even want to give RE 4 mouse support.

True, true. Nothing beats that "Oh SH!T" feeling you got
(way back when it 1st came out) the 1st time you saw the Licker on the outside of the window and then crawling along the wall/ceiling as you first entered that hallway...
Good times..