Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 112 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Not sure that's so crappy. Obviously if it's "complete and playable", it's just needed polishing. This is what responsible devs do rather than release actual crap.

Lately I've been playing Hitman 2 and Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts, which definitely have some similarities.

Hitman 2
I've gone on record saying I don't like the new formula of giving us minimal missions, but multiple ways to play them. It's a further insult to give us the exact same training missions Hitman 1 had. That said, though there's only 5, it has some really nice missions, and the graphics are top notch. The enhanced lighting alone really stands out. I really don't like having to be online just to get a lot of the options you are denied when offline, but the performance is extremely good. I'm running max settings at 1440p and I stay well above 60 FPS. The benchmarks I've done show anywhere from at least 70 to 80 ave.

Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts
City Interactive are showing slow progress at polishing their games, but there are still many little bugs here and there. The graphics are noticeably improved over last efforts in this series though. Both visual and technical polish wise, there are vast improvements. It's very well optimized too. Where it's similar to the new Hitmans is in having only a handful of missions, with the focus on replaying them. Again, there's only 5, but there are multiple objectives, challenges, and collectibles in each, and they cover pretty large areas.

A common complaint is a lack of info on how to do certain things. They don't even say in the controls menu that F is used to deploy your gadget. B is the only key listed, which is used to detonate. I've also found no way to rebind control mapping, which is just unacceptable these days. It has fairly good gameplay though, and I can see why they released videos showcasing how it can be played. You can choose to go straight for your objectives, but it will make secondary objectives and exfil much harder. The special ammo they showcase however, which is haphazardly demonstrated in the tutorial, supposedly is accessible later in the game, but after completing most missions, I've yet to see a way to unlock it.

The game has quite a new way of targeting from past titles. The new mask you wear helps you determine target distance in tactical view, then the scope itself is adjusted as close to that distance as possible. A built in arc shows how wind will affect the trajectory, and where that arc crosses the adjusted elevation line, is where the bullet should land. It's a system that felt clumsy to me at first, then once I got used to it, seemed easy. That is until you have to shoot quickly. It's not easy to clear an area without raising alarms, and once you do, many enemies move back and forth from cover to cover so quickly the slight slow mo of hold breath offers little help at farther distances, even anything over 150m.

There's also no way to disable alarms, so it's imperative to use a combination of sneak routes and killing anyone along that path. You can also pick up and hide corpses to help with that. I have to say though, I'm playing on Sniper difficulty my first play through, which is the middle of the 3, and when not alerted, enemies don't see so well if you're prone.

One of the biggest frustrations for me is it takes time to tag, determine distance, and adjust scope for that distance. This is because you have to hold the tac view exactly on the target's head. This can be anywhere from an instant if standing still, to 2 or 3 sec if walking. Then you need to look a bit above their head for the distance to even show, then switch to scope view, then calibrate elevation, then wait for the arc to appear, which goes in and out of view in intervals. Further exacerbating the time taken is the scopes will vary quite a bit in how well you can fine tune elevation. You're usually good up to 200m in 20m to 25m increments, but beyond that, increments are sparse, especially beyond 300m, where 100m increments are common. This means longer, more difficult shots are much harder to judge scope elevation with.

It's a game where you can easily get caught out retreating from mortar fire once spotted, and then only close shots can be done quickly with any amount of accuracy due to the time it takes to calculate aim. There are also no secondary 2 handed weapons that will accept a suppressor, only pistols. That said, it still offers some good rewards for players good at spotting, sneaking, and shooting from cover. There are also many routes with which you can access great vantage points, including sneaking in behind some compounds. I've had many two for one headshots. I've also had quick kills on snipers after mantling something, then going prone after seeing and hearing the detected warning start going off. The Bounty side objectives are especially fun. One involved a narrow, twisty canyon I descended into with minimal view from the high ledge I started from at one end of it. I killed the target, whom, was on a tower, and several others. I thought there were only a few left. I wanted to go in to loot the target, which adds critical items and/or intel, but got spotted and reinforcements were called. I then had to fight to survive by taking cover in a shack, belly crawling slowly to the other end of the canyon, and tagging and killing enemies as I went. Some were coming very close as I lay prone in the tall grass. The night sky darkening and the canyon and trees helped me from being visible. Despite having healed to 100% (the game has regen over time), my heart and breath were loud. I thought it might be a bug at first, but it slowly stopped after finally exiting the canyon.

So the game certainly has some flaws, but it also shows many signs of improvement in the series, and I can confidently say it's very worth playing.

Last edited:
Not sure that's so crappy. Obviously if it's "complete and playable", it's just needed polishing. This is what responsible devs do rather than release actual crap.
the "crappy" part about it is the extended release date and the fact that those anticipating the game will have to wait maybe 5 more months to play it. whatever the reason may be, those of us that have been waiting to play it would rather that reason would have been worked out in the original time frame.

Have gotten ~15hrs into Mass Effect 2 and the gameplay is really weighing on me this time around. Everything about it seems to be dumbed down compared to ME1 leaning it a bit more towards a simple action oriented game than RPG with lots of options and decisions like the first.

Just updated Fallout 4 for the first time in a year+ with all of the CreationKit content also adding maybe 25 newer/updated Nexus Mods and am really considering giving it another run-through. This would be the 4th or 5th playthrough now I think.

the "crappy" part about it is the extended release date and the fact that those anticipating the game will have to wait maybe 5 more months to play it. whatever the reason may be, those of us that have been waiting to play it would rather that reason would have been worked out in the original time frame.
I'm well aware it's an extension. I'm also well aware a lot of gamers let their anxiety take over and preorder, then complain to no end about botched releases that are plagued with bugs.

These are people that never seem happy. If it's not the state of the game, it's the time they waited to get it. This game is a very ambitious project, the kind that can be hard to predict unforeseen problems.

These days the status quo is for pubs to force deadlines to appease stockholders, and you're lucky if all the resulting launch bugs are patched because of it. So yeah, I praise CDPR for not jumping on that train to nowhere.

Just a follow up on my Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts mini review. It ended up being my bad for not noticing you need to buy the "Special" magazine in order to unlock AP rounds. There's also an additional special ammo slot you can unlock, allowing you to swap between two kinds of special ammo with some rifles. Only certain rifles accept AP rounds.

I'm really getting into the challenges now. Last night I did one that gives you a pretty large reward for completing all the contracts by only killing the one main target in the region. Needless to say it helps a lot to know the map and available routes by then. There were times though where I had to sweat through some tough decisions while I lay prone in the snow.

It was quite rewarding to beat it. I also now have quite a bit of cash and tokens to spend, so I've bought a lot of rifles, attachments, and skills. One thing you need to keep in mind is the data upload sync locations, which are just a fancy way of saying player added checkpoint, cannot be used in a continue the mission fashion once you've completed the mission prior.
I blew my chance to do a bounty not knowing that. There are still auto checkpoints you can reload though, which are very helpful on some of the tougher challenges.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have been playing both Division 2 and Breakpoint a great deal lately. I prefer games with a campaign mission set. I am not good enough at games anymore to compete in these multi player monstrosities. The last couple of years dominated with various Tom Clancy titles and the Sniper series.

Of the two I have been playing the most.
Division 2 was a 'free' gift with the purchase of a Ryzen. It wasn't particularly on my radar based on what I thought it was. Really fun gameplay in spite of having a bit of 'deja vu" feel to the missions. Graphics are very sharp and it plays really well on Ultra on my rig.
Breakpoint was a bit of an "oops" purchase, in that I got a % off coupon from uPlay, went to go try and redeem it missed a step and paid full price anyway, lol. I had been wanting it anyway since I played a great deal of Wildlands, which I also enjoyed a lot.
Breakpoint is one of those games where I instantly regretted the purchase from a couple of standpoints. First, I had a great deal of issue getting the game to play without crashing to desktop. It turned out to be a well known issue since back in Oct when this was released. Not a hard fix but timely to find and make happen when you expect to be playing your new game. Sloppy that the dev hasn't patched it yet. The graphics engine also doesn't seem very well optimized. I expect this will get better over time, or at least hope so. The storyline is very much along the lines of those "turn to page if/then" storybooks we used to read.
There are a couple of other nagging points in reference to the story line and some map/direction complaints but aside from, rather in spite of, those shortcomings the gameplay itself is absorbing and challenging. Almost too challenging in some scenarios. The game AI has no issue bringing down the hammer on you in the case you decide to be brave enough to go gun's blazing. In a lot of ways this game play feels a lot like a twist between Wildlands and Hitman Absolution.

Currently I am looking forward to a new release in the Sniper series.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Replaying Red Faction: Guerilla for the millionth time... love that game, the destructible environment never gets old

Yesss! Great game. You ever play the original RF? If so, remember when the GeoMod engine was unveiled and the demo map that came with? Oh man was it sweet being able to carve your own tunnel THRU the world. Opened up a ton of ambush possibilities.. Good memories..

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Yesss! Great game. You ever play the original RF? If so, remember when the GeoMod engine was unveiled and the demo map that came with? Oh man was it sweet being able to carve your own tunnel THRU the world. Opened up a ton of ambush possibilities.. Good memories..

I don't think I have, I'll have to check it out... yea the "ambush possibilities" you mentioned is so fun. When attacking a building or other structure it's great just sledgehammering or blowing holes in the sides of a building and going in wherever you want, or my favorite is when a building is on the edge of a cliff with support beams keeping it upright, blowing up the support beams and watching the entire building (with the enemies still inside) crumble down the hillside. Same with collapsing the big bridges while enemies are driving/walking across them lollll got em

Replaying Red Faction: Guerilla for the millionth time... love that game, the destructible environment never gets old
Yeah I really got into that game. My only nit pick with the original release was the lights looked so pixelated that it made it very dated. I'm talking about the bigger white lights, not the little amber ones you see. I'm anxious to try the new ReMARStered 4K edition though.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
On the topic of Red Faction Guerilla, does anyone remember how the jetpack used to be drastically different than it is now? I don't know when it changed, but I remember it being something that you could toggle on and off which allowed you to float very long distances, but now when you activate it, it expends all of the jetpack fuel all at once... I don't know if this is a new feature of the "ReMARStered" version or what...

On the topic of Red Faction Guerilla, does anyone remember how the jetpack used to be drastically different than it is now? I don't know when it changed, but I remember it being something that you could toggle on and off which allowed you to float very long distances, but now when you activate it, it expends all of the jetpack fuel all at once... I don't know if this is a new feature of the "ReMARStered" version or what...
I played it some time ago, and it only worked in small spurts. It was changed because all it was intended for was negotiating the building rubble and such a bit better. Lots of players were getting hung up on it or even stuck in it. So no, it wasn't implemented with the ReMARStered Edition. I also don't think it was ever intended as a combat advantage, though can still be used to some degree for that.

I know most people seem to like the destructibility in the game, and so do I, but what really kept me engaged was the visceral combat, especially on highest difficulty mode. It plays slightly like mp in the sense that when the enemies come investigating, you really have to be ready for a battle.

WildCard999

Titan
Yea I haven't played it in a couple of months but even during first release it was much better then the initial release of the Division and with content still being made I don't see this game being dead for awhile and realistically you only need 4 people (including yourself) to experience the majority of content unless your heavy into PVP. There's a bit of spam on the global chat but nothing 5 mins of muting can't fix or just use Uplay chat or Discord and keep the chat box minimized.

Last edited: