Discussion What's your most favorite GAMING GENRE ? **General game Discussion thread**

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Hello everyone !

As the title says, which is your most favorite Gaming GENRE ? And, what all games do you actually play, be it any genre, or a mixture of 2 genres ?

Some examples of genres: Action game, Action role-playing game, SIMs like City-building or a Flight game, First-person shooter, Tactical role-playing game, Third-person shooter, Tactical shooter, "Platform game", Racing video game, Real-time strategy, Massively multiplayer online first-person shooter game, 2D Fighting games, Stealth game, Sim racing, and Role-playing video game among others.

Mine is mostly First-person Shooters, with some third-person action Games, like Gears of War 4, Mass Effect 3, DEAD SPACE, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, JUST CAUSE. Though, FPS has always remained my topmost priority.

I'm not an actual gamer though, very casual. But I've been playing FPS games since the good old days of DOOM, QUAKE, HEXEN, HERETIC, DUKE Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein, Soldier Of fortune, PAINKILLER, HALF LIFE, F.E.A.R, Call Of Duty series, Battlefield series and few others.

These are my list of games owned by me, all LEGIT, not pirated. This list is not exhaustive though. Some are lesser-known titles though.

ALIEN RAGE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Rage

Aliens versus Predator 2.

Alpha Prime (excellent FPS, by an indie DEV studio). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Prime

Area 51. I love this shooter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_51_(2005_video_game)

Battlefield 3, 4, 5, Hardline, BF: BAD company 2.

BIOSHOCK 1 and 2.

Bordelands 1 and 2.

BREED. A good old-school FPS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breed_(video_game)

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, earned in Blood, and Hell's Highway !

BULLETSTORM.

CALL of DUTY series (starting from the fist game till BLACK OPS).

CALL OF JUAREZ.

CHASER ! This is my most favorite FPS of all time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaser_(video_game)

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

Clive Barker's Jericho ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Barker's_Jericho

Contract J.A.C.K. Hell Yes, lol !

CRYSIS 1, 2 and 3.

DOOM, DOOM 2 and 3, BFG edition and DOOM (2016).

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition.

DYING LIGHT.

F.E.A.R. series.

FAR CRY series !

HALF LIFE series.

Halo: Combat Evolved.

Hard Reset. This game is TOO tough for me, I had to use Cheats/Trainers to beat it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Reset

HERETIC, HEXEN.

MEDAL OF HONOR series.

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way. I like Cate Archer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_One_Lives_Forever_2:_A_Spy_in_H.A.R.M.'s_Way

PAINKILLER series.

PREY (only the first title which came out in 2006).

Project Snowblind ! This is my MOST favorite FPS. You guys must try playing this shooter.

QUAKE 1, 2, 4.

RAGE 1 and 2.

RED FACTION 2.

Section 8: Prejudice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8:_Prejudice

SERIOUS SAM series, All the games released till now. And, yes I'm SERIOUS !

Shadow Warrior 1 and 2.

SiN Episodes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiN_Episodes

Soldier of Fortune series.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear SKY.

SWAT 4.

Titanfall 2.

TIMESHIFT ! I love this game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TimeShift

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2.

TRIBES Vengeance. This game is really good. Strong STORY campaign. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes:_Vengeance

Unreal II: The Awakening.

Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood.

Thanks for reading, NICK. :)

Last edited:
An update on Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection. Apparently the stuttering problem was not caused by the game not loading textures well like I'd thought. Iron Galaxy just released a patch that fixes performance, and as they said, "Removed frame rate dependency for mouse sensitivity". This basically means they made the rare and rookie mistake some devs do when porting to PC of tying the mouse polling rate to the game's frame rate.

Yeah, I read this patch news in a recent article. It's good if the stuttering issue is now minimized to some extent. There was a chatter on STEAM forums that the game still has awful mouse controls.

Iron Galaxy actually messed up the “x” and “y” axis sensitivities, resulting in some truly awkward mouse movement. But the good news is that the developers are looking into these mouse issues. So, let’s hope that they will address them sooner rather than later.

I want to play this game desperately !

Yeah, I read this patch news in a recent article. It's good if the stuttering issue is now minimized to some extent. There was a chatter on STEAM forums that the game still has awful mouse controls.

Iron Galaxy actually messed up the “x” and “y” axis sensitivities, resulting in some truly awkward mouse movement. But the good news is that the developers are looking into these mouse issues. So, let’s hope that they will address them sooner rather than later.

I want to play this game desperately !
Well, like I said (not sure if you read all my post, as it's been edited), the patch makes mouse sensitivity so bad it's sluggish even at max settings, but setting mouse polling rate lower fixes it. The stuttering as well can be fixed just by rolling back to the 517.48 driver.

I just put in a long session last night with these workarounds playing The Lost Legacy on Hard, so I've beaten both games on Hard now. I got no stutters at all, even on a very actiony sequence at the end, which requires a lot of well timed moves, so it was a TON more enjoyable this time.

Next is Crushing difficulty, the hardest one. On this mode I'm going to have to use everything I've learned on lower difficulty modes, plus maybe come up with some slightly new strategies in some places.

Well, like I said (not sure if you read all my post, as it's been edited), the patch makes mouse sensitivity so bad it's sluggish even at max settings, but setting mouse polling rate lower fixes it.

Yeah, I read your post before, and the mouse polling rate value which has been circulating on the web as a temp fix was also suggested as 125ms/Hz. It appears that for you setting the polling rate to 250 ms has fixed the stuttering. I guess this will also depend on the type/model of Mouse one is using ?

I might try some of these fixes once I grab this game, though mostly likely by that time the DEVs might have already patched/fixed this mouse issue which many are experiencing. This author/gamer from DSOG also advised to set the polling rate to 125ms.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/fix-mouse-movement-issues-uncharted-legacy-of-thieves-collection/

Yeah, I read your post before, and the mouse polling rate value which has been circulating on the web as a temp fix was also suggested as 125ms/Hz. It appears that for you setting the polling rate to 250 ms has fixed the stuttering. I guess this will also depend on the type/model of Mouse one is using ?

I might try some of these fixes once I grab this game, though mostly likely by that time the DEVs might have already patched/fixed this mouse issue which many are experiencing. This author/gamer from DSOG also advised to set the polling rate to 125ms.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/fix-mouse-movement-issues-uncharted-legacy-of-thieves-collection/
Well I put in a fairly lengthy session of Uncharted 4 last night. At first I thought the patch was working so well I bumped graphics settings up to max. I was prior going by Digital Foundry's recommendation of usuing mostly High settings due to Ultra looking almost the same. There did seem to be a noticeable difference visually to me though, so I went with max this time.

Turns out Uncharted 4 is not nearly as well optimized as The Lost Legacy. The frame rate fluctuates far more, and there is still stutter in places, even with mouse polling rate at 125 ms. Worse yet, in the more action heavy sequences, I still got a loading percentage interruption while the video froze until it buffered.

I was also playing all cutscenes, so it had nothing to do with skipping them. The only thing left to try is drop graphics settings back to Digital Foundry's suggestions, but I'm kind of doubtful that will solve the problem. Most of Sony's ports to PC have been done very well, but this is an exception, save for The Lost Legacy, which is only half the length of Uncharted 4.

Thanks for the feedback on both the Uncharted titles.

BTW, it appears that the DEVs have released a new patch for the mouse issues encountered by gamers till now. The Mouse movement appears to be smooth, even when using a 1000Hz poll rate.

UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection November 4th Update fixes its mouse movement issues (dsogaming.com)
I'm not sure that will fix the game's tendency to come to a crawl when textures are loading, but at least it could make some of the action heavy scenes smoother. This kind of thing shouldn't be happening in the first place, especially when you wait a LONG damn time for shaders to build on the main menu, and there's no telling when you might have to let them build again, as they can revert to 4% built status without even having changed GPU drivers.

That said, I'd like to see all Uncharted titles remastered for PC. I've seen a video on YouTube that's supposedly an Uncharted 3 PS5 remaster, but I can't confirm anywhere else such a title is even available on PS5. Uncharted 3 is certainly one of their more well known titles though, and has an epic cargo plane scene that Sony got Harrison Ford to make a commercial about.

I swear this used to be available in HD, but I could only find low res copies anymore.

Last edited:
I've seen a video on YouTube that's supposedly an Uncharted 3 PS5 remaster, but I can't confirm anywhere else such a title is even available on PS5. Uncharted 3 is certainly one of their more well known titles though, and has an epic cargo plane scene that Sony got Harrison Ford to make a commercial about.

I think Uncharted 3 remastered is available on PS5, according to these links, IMO. The notes state this requirement:

"To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. Although this game is playable on PS5, some features available on PS4 may be absent. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details."

Uncharted™ 3: Drake’s Deception Remastered (playstation.com)

UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection is Now Available for PS5 || Naughty Dog

Are there any LINUX gamers out here ? I'm mostly on Windows PC, but I do have systems supporting Wine, and when it comes to running Windows applications on Linux system, Wine provides many advantages over using emulators or virtual machines.

The team behind DXVK, a Vulkan-based DX9, DX10 and DX11 translation layer, has released a brand new version of it. The key feature of DXVK 2.0 is its shader compilation changes which aim to minimize the shader compilation stutters in DX11 games.

DXVK is actually the popular open-source Vulkan-based translation layer for Direct3D 9, 10 and 11 that allows you to run 3D apps and games designed for Windows on GNU/Linux systems through Wine. It has now been updated today to version 2.0, a major release that introduces important changes and improvements.

As the team noted, on drivers which support VK_EXT_graphics_pipeline_library, including the IndependentInterpolationDecoration feature, Vulkan shaders will now be compiled at the time the game loads its D3D shaders, rather than at draw time. This will reduce or eliminates shader compile stutter in many games.

Do note that games which only load their D3D shaders at draw time (e.g. Witcher 3, and most Unreal Engine 4 games) will still exhibit some stutter. However, things should be better now with DXVK 2.0. Thus, and for games that have shader compilation stutters, we suggest giving DXVK 2.0 a go.

Major changes in the DXVK 2.0 release include memory management improvements for the Direct3D 9 implementation for better support of 32-bit D3D9 games, along with proper support for reading from an active render target in D3D9 games.

For the Direct3D 10 implementation, this release removes the incomplete d3d10.dll and d3d10_1.dll implementations in favor of Wine’s implementation of these DLLs for supporting D3D10 games. On the other hand, the Direct3D 11 implementation now exposes D3D11 Feature Level 12_1 with Tiled Resources and Conservative Rasterization up to Tier 3, as well as Rasterizer Ordered Views.

“While no games are known to use these features directly in D3D11, some games and game launchers rely on feature support being consistent between D3D11 and D3D12 in order to allow users to enable D3D12 in the game options. While our implementation of these features is generally functional, there may be bugs or performance issues in case a game does use them,” said the devs in the release notes.

As expected from a new DXVK update, version 2.0 also brings improvements for numerous games including Alan Wake, Alice Madness Returns, Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Beyond Good and Evil, Dragon Age Origins, Empire: Total War, Final Fantasy XV, GTA IV, Heroes Of Annihilated Empires, Limit King Of Fighters XIII, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, SiN Episodes: Emergence, Sonic Generations, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, The Ship, Warhammer Online, and Ys Seven.

The Direct3D 11 implementation also received improvements to the implementations of ID3D11DeviceContext to further reduce CPU overhead in games and improve compatibility with third-party libraries and mods that hook into D3D11, while providing a behavior that’s closer to the one in Windows systems.

On top of that, DXVK 2.0 brings shader compilation changes for graphics drivers that support the VK_EXT_graphics_pipeline_library Vulkan extension by compiling Vulkan shaders when the game loads rather than at draw time. Currently, only the NVIDIA 520.56.06 and later graphics driver support this change.

Among other changes, this release introduces support for native Linux builds of DXVK for devs who want to port D3D apps without having to change the rendering code, improved behavior of DXGI waitable swap chains, improved implementation of DXGI frame statistics, improved memory allocation logic on Intel integrated graphics, as well as various bug fixes.

Well it looks like Ubisoft has revealed the first official concept artwork for Splinter Cell Remake. While these artworks do not show much in terms of real-time graphics, they can at least give you an idea of the game’s art style. I opened a thread on this game's remake almost a year ago:

Discussion - "Splinter Cell Remake" Announced by UBISOFT | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Anyway, Splinter Cell Remake will be rebuilt from the ground up using the Snowdrop Engine. The game promises to deliver new-generation visuals and gameplay, as well as dynamic lighting and shadows.

Earlier this year, Ubisoft claimed that this remake will have a story designed for a “modern-day audience.”

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art.jpg

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-2.jpg

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-3.jpg

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-4.jpg

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-5.jpg

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-6.jpg

Well it looks like Ubisoft has revealed the first official concept artwork for Splinter Cell Remake. While these artworks do not show much in terms of real-time graphics, they can at least give you an idea of the game’s art style. I opened a thread on this game's remake almost a year ago:

Discussion - "Splinter Cell Remake" Announced by UBISOFT | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Anyway, Splinter Cell Remake will be rebuilt from the ground up using the Snowdrop Engine. The game promises to deliver new-generation visuals and gameplay, as well as dynamic lighting and shadows.

Earlier this year, Ubisoft claimed that this remake will have a story designed for a “modern-day audience.”

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art.jpg

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-2.jpg

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-3.jpg

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-4.jpg

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-5.jpg

Splinter-Cell-Remake-concept-art-6.jpg
You know, it's funny, as much of a stickler as I was for pushing Ubi to make another Splinter Cell game when I was participating on their official forums, I don't ever recall a remake of the original being announced. Maybe because I stopped caring about Ubi or their games after they perma banned me from their forums for speaking out about what a travesty it was that they turned Ghost Recon into a Sci Fi tiered loot shooter in a fantasy world with Breakpoint.

I'd still rather see another Splinter Cell game made instead of a remake of the original, especially when they don't even give so much as a hint about what is being remade, and what isn't. I really liked SC Blacklist, and thought it got bashed unfairly. I wish they would go back to a formula like that and maybe make it a full trilogy.

I really liked SC Blacklist, and thought it got bashed unfairly.

Even I enjoyed playing BLACKLIST. In fact I really liked the game, even though I'm not much into STEALTH games. Apart from Conviction and Blacklist I have not tried playing any other Splinter cell game yet though.

Maybe because I like run and gun shooters, but I also prefer Stealth sometimes (but not in excess), and other similar game mechanics. Splinter Cell is a good franchise though. The older games were basically more better than the recent ones. Even the HITMAN series is pretty good.

I have played Hitman: Contracts, but have not yet tried any of the newer titles in this franchise.

BTW frag, are you also planning to play Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales game as well ? It just got released on the PC.
I may give it a go, yes, but I still haven't even finished Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered on Amazing mode yet, and had planned to try it at least on Spectacular mode.

Quite honestly, I've been spending a fair number of days lately researching PC parts, prices, and availability and compiling possible build lists for my next gaming rig. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on some nice stuff, but availability on a couple major parts (GPU, PSU) are hanging me up.

It's a real bummer that EVGA is no longer making GPUs, due to problems with Nvidia, and ASUS is the only other brand I trust, and it seems many others feel the same, as their 4090s went out of stock while other brands were still available. At some point I'm going to put together a really nice rig though.

The main plan is to go with a i7-13700k, cooled with a top exhaust orientation mounted Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO, in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro II case, and the ASUS TUF RTX 4090 GPU, all powered by the ASUS TUF Gaming 1000w PSU. This PSU will have the new Intel 16 pin connector the 4090 requires, which is great, because the supplied adapters from Nvidia have been known to melt. The CPU cooler and case of this build have industry leading 6 and 5 yr warranties respectively.

I plan to use my Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe drive for OS and programs, but eventually plan to get two WD N850X 4 TB NVMe drives for games. I also eventually plan to get a WD Ultrastar 16 TB drive for massive game and other media storage. The MB I'm looking at is the ASRock Z790 Pro RS, which has 8 SATA 6Gb/s ports, but I may consider one with a bit better audio chip. Actually, the ALC897 audio chip it has will be fine, as come to think of it I use optical out, so my AVR does the sound processing.

Last edited:
The main plan is to go with a i7-13700k, cooled with a top exhaust orientation mounted Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO, in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro II case, and the ASUS TUF RTX 4090 GPU, all powered by the ASUS TUF Gaming 1000w PSU. This PSU will have the new Intel 16 pin connector the 4090 requires, which is great, because the supplied adapters from Nvidia have been known to melt.

Damn, that rig would cost you a lot. You must be definitely rich/wealthy if you can afford the RTX 4090 GPU, and other matching high-end PC components, including a 2K/4K high refresh rate screen. A 4 TB NVMe drive is also going to cost a lot IMO, depending on the brand.

No doubt the 4090 is the fastest card for gaming right now, but with the recent 12VHPWR/16-Pin cables and adapters melting has instilled fear as whether to purchase the card or not.

I think the native 16 pin connector has also melted, as there were few cases reported recently. But in any case, I can't afford the RTX 4090. I'm more interested in the mainstream/mid-range GPUs, the RTX 4070, 4060, and other lower/similar SKUs.

I'm just wondering about the power consumption of these mid-range/mainstream cards. I hope these won't rock the 16-PIN connector interface. Because the TDP is definitely going to be low, so I think Nvidia can make do with 2 or 3 8-PIN PCIe connectors. that way I can continue using my OLD trusted Seasonic PSU.

The AIB partners will probably stick with 8-pins on their in-house designs.

You mean to say the custom AIB RTX 4090/4080 GPUs won't have the 16-PIN connector requirement ?

IMHO, the last good Hitman game they made was Absolution.

Btw, call this a coincidence but I just got a digital code/gift card which I can redeem on STEAM to grab this title. But the game is already on sale, 80% discount for a limited time though. The game reviews are very positive, and I might play this title now.

Either adapt or use a specific modular cable to get the 16-pin connector, not that big a deal. It certainly will be what they use on the founder's cards. The AIB partners will probably stick with 8-pins on their in-house designs.
"Adapt"? If you mean those Nvidia adapters, many of them are melting, and even catching fire, besides being pretty bulky. As well, AIB partners ARE using the Gen 5 16 pin (12+4) connector, which is why it's important to have a PSU, or at the very least a PSU brand that has promised to send out Intel Gen 5 connector equipped cables for free to their customers who have bought 1000W or more PSUs from them that can handle the 4090. That Intel connector is the only PCI-E connector that can handle sustained 600W loads by itself, so no, it IS a big deal, and people paying for high end rigs don't want to and shouldn't have to risk a fire in their PC because Nvidia is too irresponsible to either have a proper adapter made and tested, or better yet, wait until PSU manufacturers get some ATX 3 Gen 5 equipped PSUs on the market.

As far as Intel's 16 Pin connectors failing, I suspect that would more likely be a PSU that can't handle the load, as Intel makes very good connectors and tests them well.

Btw, call this a coincidence but I just got a digital code/gift card which I can redeem on STEAM to grab this title. But the game is already on sale, 80% discount for a limited time though. The game reviews are very positive, and I might play this title now.
The main gripes about Absolution, which came mostly from Hitman fanboys whom are rather stuffy, is the need to do hat tipping even when wearing a disguise. The way it works is you have X amount of time you can tilt your head down, so you have to time it right. The reasoning for this game design is they didn't want to make disguises like God mode, and it's not really a stretch that a crew, be it security, tech, etc, would know and recognize the faces of their coworkers. It's a feature that got bashed far too much, and is not hard to use really. The Hitman forums anymore are flooded with players that just love to talk endlessly about various ways to kill, achievements, and ANY% speedruns that use ridiculous methods to trick the braindead AI in their new series, like shooting a silenced pistol at a wall or ceiling to cause several guards to flock to the spot the bullet hit.

I'll always give IO Interactive credit for titles like Absolution, and Blood Money, but with this new series they have sold out to gimmicks to impress fanboys.

Regarding the build spec, no, it's not easy for me to afford. I was planning on waiting for a RTX 4080, and hoping for a price drop to $700, but when I saw it's releasing at $1200, I gave up on that. MANY others feel the same way, that the 4080, even with 16GB VRAM, is not worth anywhere near $1200. This and EVGA having stopped making GPUs, is a big part of why the 4090s sold out so fast.

I'm not even sure yet how I will buy the parts for this build, and it will have to be done over time. For now it's not much more than a wish list that will involve a lot of sacrifices, and with the state of a lot of game releases these days, I'm not even sure it's worth it.

I'm hardly what you'd call wealthy either. My vehicle is a 40 year old truck that is basic transportation for grocery shopping, and gaming is what I spend most of my money on. I live in a fairly low rent neighborhood too. I'm sure for you, maybe music, instruments, whatever, might be your biggest passion, for me, it's gaming.

BTW, regarding Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection, just after installing it to make room for other games, they released patch 1.3 that supposedly fixes performance issues. The problem is, feedback on it is both good and bad, probably mostly bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.
I was planning on waiting for a RTX 4080, and hoping for a price drop to $700, but when I saw it's releasing at $1200, I gave up on that. MANY others feel the same way, that the 4080, even with 16GB VRAM, is not worth anywhere near $1200.

Yes, the 4080 is having a horrible price/performance ratio. Compared to previous gen GPUs, an XX80-class GPU didn't cost this much. There is a huge price difference between the 3080 and 4080 SKUs.

Nvidia is getting damn greedy for sure. I know the ADA Lovelace chips cost more in production, and GDDR6X memory is also expensive, but the new prices are absurd. Even worse, there are rumors of the upcoming RTX 4070 Ti to cost the same as the cancelled 12GB RTX 4080 GPU. $900 USD as the min base price.

While it is true that the intense criticism from the press and gamers contributed to the cancelation, there was another reason: 'Excess Ampere inventory'. The RTX 4080 12GB also fell short of the 3090 Ti in rasterized workloads, performing roughly on par with the RTX 3080 Ti:

While the company still believes the 12GB version is a solid video card, it said the lower-spec model is "not named right."

The muddled messaging largely stems from differences beyond RAM quantities. Where the 12GB model includes 7,680 CUDA (general-purpose processing) cores and a 192-bit memory bus, its higher-end 16GB counterpart offers 9,728 cores and a 256-bit bus. You're getting a considerably slower GPU with the 12GB unit despite the RTX 4080 branding, and the gaps are sometime huge.

NVIDIA's own benchmarks showed the 12GB board trailing its 16GB sibling by up to 30 percent in well-known games. That could be more than a little disappointing if you bought the 12GB card expecting similar performance outside of RAM-dependent situations. Even the 16GB variant is not worth the purchase.

Honestly speaking, gaming these days feels like an expensive hobby. I thought with each new gen, the power consumption will also get lower, and the prices might remain the same, if not less in some cases, but that's not the trend these days. I think a time will come when I will stop upgrading/buying hardware just to play games.

Last edited:
Honestly speaking, gaming these days feels like an expensive hobby. I thought with each new gen, the power consumption will also get lower, and the prices might remain the same, if not less in some cases, but that's not the trend these days. I think a time will come when I will stop upgrading/buying hardware just to play games.
Yes it is, largely due to developers commonly releasing games that don't run well on anything but fast GPUs and drives, and it doesn't help that AMD's GPUs can't keep up with the performance Nvidia offers.

A big part of going very high end this time for me however is finally deciding to step up to something 4K capable across all titles, even on a 120Hz display. I had tried a 4K TV before, but that was well before OLEDs started getting smaller and better at video processing, resisting burn in, and upscaling. OLED's are now even getting better at HDR support due to some being made with Samsung's Quantum Dot design, where tiny LEDs increase brightness and color richness considerably. The OLED is one part I will have to wait on though, because I'm wanting a 42" QD OLED, and so far the smallest one Sony makes is 55". Until then I will just run games at 4K DSR on my 32" Panasonic, but it's only 60Hz.

I may end up settling for the 42" LG C2 OLED though, which so far has dropped to $900. You said the 4TB drive I mentioned was expensive, but that's actually one part that is not priced too bad. My current Samsung 970 EVO 500GB cost me $116. The WD N850X 4TB, at over twice the speed is $375, but a whopping 8 TIMES the capacity. That's $47 vs $232 per TB, and for a drive twice as fast. With my current drive I'm also constantly having to uninstall a game before finishing it, to make room for another that comes out, and this also causes more wear and tear on the drive, so theoretically the 4TB drive should last longer. WD also offer much more robust heat spreaders than Samsung does, and it's just a $10 option.

The most concerning thing about going 4K for me is the still relative lack of 4K content to support it, especially TV broadcasts, which could take several more years to even start offering 4K. And all this while many are already talking about 8K, seems ridiculously poorly timed, these new resolutions.

The most concerning thing about going 4K for me is the still relative lack of 4K content to support it, especially TV broadcasts, which could take several more years to even start offering 4K. And all this while many are already talking about 8K, seems ridiculously poorly timed, these new resolutions.

I think 4K won't become a mainstream option at least for gaming, since the adoption rate is still very low. And the majority of users are on a 1080p/2K screen resolution setup. I don't see 4K getting widely adopted by gamers, even in 4-5 more years or so though.

And speaking of 8K, that's just a pipe dream for now, well sort of ! If you check some online stats, even the 4K monitor/TV userbase is still very less overall.

EDIT:

BTW, nice picture in your SIG. Looks cool, and beautiful. :D

Last edited:
BTW, nice picture in your SIG. Looks cool, and beautiful. :D
Thanks, that's a place in Norway that I find beautiful to look at, and it kind of fits with the holiday season. I've been using it as my banner atop my YouTube page for years, so I just hit Print Screen and cropped and resized it in Paint.

Regarding game resolutions, I'd say mainstream gamers are mostly on 1080p, but enthusiast gamers are commonly on 1440p now, and many of them are going 4K.

BTW, regarding Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection, just after installing it to make room for other games, they released patch 1.3 that supposedly fixes performance issues. The problem is, feedback on it is both good and bad, probably mostly bad.

Are the Mouse camera stutters also gone ? I saw this article, and there is a workaround to fix this issue, assuming the these camera stutters are still happening for everyone. You might be aware of this though:

UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection suffers from mouse camera stutters and here is how you can fix them (dsogaming.com)

Are the Mouse camera stutters also gone ? I saw this article, and there is a workaround to fix this issue, assuming the these camera stutters are still happening for everyone. You might be aware of this though:
Yeah I've heard of that, and the response as to whether patch 1.3 fixes it is a mixed bag of both yes and no. At this point if I were Sony or Naughty Dog I would never trust Iron Galaxy to do another PC port for them.

Well, another AAA game bites the dust it seems. This shows how the current gaming industry is doomed, not to mention the lack of quality testing in AAA games these games before release, and the laziness and incompetency of game developers.

KRAFTON has released The Callisto Protocol on PC, and the game performs horribly according to reports from gamers and gaming media outlets. I wanted to buy this DEAD SPACE clone of a game, but not anymore, unless and until these issues are fixed/patched in future (which seems unlikely though).

Unfortunately, the game suffers from shader compilation stutters. Not only that, but there are numerous optimization issues currently on PC. STEAM reviews speak for themselves.

Contrary to other games, The Callisto Protocol does NOT pre-cache its shaders. Thus, and similarly to a lot of other Unreal Engine 4 games, the game will compile them in real-time, while playing. As a result of that, PC gamers will be getting a lot of stutters, especially in the first couple of areas.

Even HIGH end systems have been struggling to offer a playable gameplay experience.

The Callisto Protocol also supports Ray Tracing/RT for Transmission, Shadows and Reflections. However, these RT effects are as unoptimized as they can get in this title. According to one report the Ray Tracing Shadows are awfully pixelated and can look worse than their rasterized versions.

Steam currently has numerous threads in which PC gamers express their displeasure with the game’s performance. Various media publications (that reviewed the game) also report underwhelming PC performance.

This morning, Rock Paper Shotgun said that it could be a fun game “if it ran on PC,” Eurogamer suggested that “PC is almost unplayable,” while PC Gamer called it “a stuttering nightmare.” This is all reflected by The Callisto Protocol’s Steam page, which currently has the game sporting the deathly orange epithet “Mostly Negative,” based on over 4,000 player reviews.

Now, I absolutely must stress that PC launch days are
always a clusterfuck of fury, because given the near-infinite permutations of PC hardware, there will always be a sizable contingent of players who hit upon a setup a developer didn’t test for, but it is is totally unacceptable for a AAA game of this status which was under development since long.

Last edited: