Question What's your opinion about PSU Tier list on Linustechtips?

og2

Jan 25, 2020
Hello,

I am looking at buying Antec High Current Gamer 650W power supply.

Seems decent for that price, but it's a Tier D unit according to the tier list over on linustechtips.
Should I get the Gigabyte P650B? What would be the better choice?

Thanks.

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
The Antec is the better unit, their tier list has anything associated with Seasonic Focus as tier D because of one test showing overpower protection set too high (if PSU correctly sized normal user will never get there)

What about Gigabyte P650B? Is there any overpower protection problem?

What about Gigabyte P650B? Is there any overpower protection problem?
It only has a 3 year warranty. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Even the Corsair CX models have 5 year warranties. Good quality models are warrantied for 7-10 years. I would not pair the Gigabyte P650B with an expensive video card but it may be ok for a low budget system.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the antec high current gamer was always a pretty good unit. i've not seen anything new to suggest it is no longer a good one.

i personally don't pay any attention to what linus says about anything. instead look at actual experts that actually test the crap out of the units and offers professional ratings based on actual industry knowledge.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-high-current-gamer-850w-psu,5578.html

these are similar models and look decent. price is really the thing here since they do tend to be overpriced most of the time.

so as others have asked, what are your system specs? budget? where are you looking to buy from? in the US or elsewhere in the world? can quickly and easily give you some options with this basic info if you'll share it.