Question WHEA Fatal hardware error - but which part?

Jul 5, 2022
Hello hope this is the right place to ask and someone has an answer. I put this computer together around April this year and it's been plagued by intermittent freezes. Nothing's overclocked or any fancy xmp going on in BIOS. They happen during any level of usage from gaming to sitting on the login screen idling. The entire machine locks up and it needs hard reset when it happens. If there's audio playing it loops a buzzing sound of the last thing that came out of the speakers. No minidump or bluescreen to read, the only clues it leaves is a WHEA event of ID 1. It's exactly the same length of 3552 each time.

https://pastebin.com/YDT6CJQJ xml of the WHEA error log.

Here's my core components:

Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 LGA 1700
CPU: Intel i5-12600K, 12th gen
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 (3 fan 12gb kind)
HD: Samsung 980 M2 2280 (1TB nvme)

Here's what I've tried so far:

chkdsk.
sfc /scannow.
HWmonitor to make sure wasn't overheating. (last freeze happened sitting on login screen)
Ran driver verifier tool.
Reseated freaking everything man.
Updated BIOS.
Reinstalled OS completely (from Win10 to Win11 now)
Replaced the ram kit. twice.

I figure I have a faulty part, but is anyone out there able to make sense of this WHEA log? I only assembled 2 computers in my life and the last one didn't give me anywhere near this much trouble. Appreciate any input, TY.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU used in the build. Is that also from April this year(~3 months old)?

Updated BIOS.
A BIOS version would help us two fold.

Ran driver verifier tool.
Once you installed the OS, did you manually install all relevant drivers for your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Jul 5, 2022
Didn't expect a reply this quickly, many thanks for taking a look.

Corsair RM 850x (850w) is the power supply. Yes, 3 months old.

The BIOS version I upgraded to is 1402, is that right? I'm not sure how BIOS versions are labelled, the cap file reads PRIME-Z690-P-D4-ASUS-1402.CAP

Relevant drivers are currently installed and were done so as administrator but these freezes happened with and without them on both win11 and the previous win10 installation. Finally, the install medias were from microsoft website put onto a usb stick.

Jul 5, 2022
Update:

Computer froze again twice last night, a new record and displayed various bluescreens upon trying to turn back on which eventually worked itself out and got to windows. One of them was paged fault in non paged area but there were a few.

Now today this evening it froze and each time I start it up it won't stay on more than 5 minutes before freezing again. Sometimes these freezes are coupled with shutting itself off. Booting in safe mode without any networking stopped it from shutting off for about 20 minutes long enough for me to save some important files onto a flash drive.

Any ideas, Tom's hardware folk? At this point I'm going to RMA power supply, motherboard, cpu, and gpu if I can get newegg to cooperate.