Oct 28, 2024
Hello there!

1. My Problem

Since 4 days ago I get a whea-logger error.

The PC ran without issues for a year. Three days ago, it restarted on its own while playing Crusader Kings 3. Since then, this happens during gaming applications after about 5-10 minutes. The event viewer reported the following errors:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An unexpected error occurred while calling the routine "CoCreateInstance." hr = 0x8007045b, The computer is shutting down. Source: VSS, Event ID: 8193

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: "The COM server with CLSID and name "CEventSystem" cannot be started. [0x8007045b, The computer is shutting down.] Source: VSS, Event ID: 13

I reinstalled Windows 11, but the problem persisted. Only this time with a different error message:

WHEA-Logger
Critical hardware error
Reported by component: Processor core
Error source: Machine Check Exception
Error type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 5

The temperatures are below 70 degrees.

2. What I've already tried:

• I reinstalled Windows 11 Pro.
  • I updated the BIOS.
  • I activated and deactivated the XMP profile.
  • I tested my RAM sticks individually.
  • I tested my old Ryzen 5 3600 CPU.

However, none of those improved the situation.

In other forums, I read that it could potentially be related to VDDG CCD / IOD if these are set too low. Any opinions on that?
Otherwise, I ordered a motherboard and a graphics card to check these components as well.

3. My System

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
  • RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200MHz Dual Kit / Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
  • Mainboard: MSI Tomahawk Max B450 AM4
  • Power Unit: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 500W CM
  • Case: Be Quiet! Pure Base 500
  • Graphics: Sapphire AMD Radeon™ RX 7800 XT
  • SSD: multiple Crucial MX500 SSDs
  • CPU FAN: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B
I am grateful for every help i can get!

Oct 8, 2024
restarts when playing games are not meeting minimum requirements, Overheating of vital components like the CPU or GPU can trigger safety protocols, leading to a restart to prevent damage, and PSU failures.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First off;
https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-radeon-rx-7800-xt-16g-gddr6#Specification
says to use a 700W PSU as the minimum here ^.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7800-xt.c3839
says you need a 600W PSU for the build with said discrete GPU.

Power Unit: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 500W CM
How old is the unit? Even if the PSU was brand new, your PSu is inadequate for the build.

Second;
RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200MHz Dual Kit / Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
You're advised not to mix and match rams/ram kits. Stick with one ram kit populating slots A2 and B2.

Reactions: helper800
0: kd> !error 0x8007045b
Error code: (HRESULT) 0x8007045b (2147943515) - A system shutdown is in progress.

I would hope the shadow copy would delay the shutdown until the copy was finished.
(unless it was forced then shadow copy would just lose your files that are not flushed to disk)

for example, if you copy one drive to another drive the system tells you it is done but actually puts into the shadow copy service to be completed over time. if you force a shutdown the shadow copy service should try to block it but you can override and let it lose your files.

in your case the shutdown started before the shadow service. this blocked the service from starting a new transfer.
I would ignore this and look at other problems

Last edited:
Hello there!

1. My Problem

Since 4 days ago I get a whea-logger error.

The PC ran without issues for a year. Three days ago, it restarted on its own while playing Crusader Kings 3. Since then, this happens during gaming applications after about 5-10 minutes. The event viewer reported the following errors:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An unexpected error occurred while calling the routine "CoCreateInstance." hr = 0x8007045b, The computer is shutting down. Source: VSS, Event ID: 8193

Volume Shadow Copy Service information: "The COM server with CLSID and name "CEventSystem" cannot be started. [0x8007045b, The computer is shutting down.] Source: VSS, Event ID: 13

I reinstalled Windows 11, but the problem persisted. Only this time with a different error message:

WHEA-Logger
Critical hardware error
Processor APIC ID: 5

The temperatures are below 70 degrees.

2. What I've already tried:

• I reinstalled Windows 11 Pro.
  • I updated the BIOS.
  • I activated and deactivated the XMP profile.
  • I tested my RAM sticks individually.
  • I tested my old Ryzen 5 3600 CPU.

However, none of those improved the situation.

In other forums, I read that it could potentially be related to VDDG CCD / IOD if these are set too low. Any opinions on that?
Otherwise, I ordered a motherboard and a graphics card to check these components as well.

3. My System

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
  • RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200MHz Dual Kit / Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
  • Mainboard: MSI Tomahawk Max B450 AM4
  • Power Unit: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 500W CM
  • Case: Be Quiet! Pure Base 500
  • Graphics: Sapphire AMD Radeon™ RX 7800 XT
  • SSD: multiple Crucial MX500 SSDs
  • CPU FAN: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B
I am grateful for every help i can get!

You at minimum need a new PSU regardless of whether or not its related to this specific issue otherwise I guarantee you will have issues in the future regarding your anemic PSU. When your computer restarts is there a blue screen of death (BSOD) or no? If no I would bet the farm your PSU is either dying under the load hitting OVP/OCP, or has damaged itself trying to keep your system running bricked itself. Get this PSU to test before you pull the motherboard and graphics card.

Last edited:
You at minimum need a new PSU regardless of whether or not its related to this specific issue otherwise I guarantee you will have issues in the future regarding your anemic PSU. When your computer restarts is there a blue screen of death (BSOD) or no? If no I would bet the farm your PSU is either dying under the load hitting OVP/OCP, or has damaged itself trying to keep your system running bricked itself. Get this PSU to test before you pull the motherboard and graphics card.
yes, a brown out in the power can trigger the power protection circuits on the motherboard and cause a panic shutdown of the cpu by the circuit. It could explain the log entry from the shadow copy service if you did not request the shutdown of the pc.
normally you would get a blank screen, poorer psu fake a power ok signal to the motherboard and the cpu restarts immediately and then you get a bugcheck 0x124 on the next boot up. look for a good power supply that is rated for your system. I even got a over rated power supply so that the PSU fans do not have to turn on all the time. (just to reduce noise, and provide for a upgraded GPU (if the prices ever come down)

for a cpu starting with unstable power (after a motherboard protection circuit reset)
the cpu will get cache memory errors in the cpu, then the cpu calls for another shutdown.
i expect that is what the log indicated:

Reactions: helper800