Question WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE ERROR & CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, did I fix it?

CluelessPCGamer

Reputable
Apr 29, 2019
Hi guys, so this morning I started getting these BSODs 10 secs after booting into Windows 10, PC would lock up and then blue screened. I tried a few different ways of fixing it (Removing updates, chkdsk, drivers, etc.) to no avail. So I did a reset of Win 10, and now the issue "seems" to have gone away. But I wanna make sure that this isn't a hardware issue.

I've run a few diagnostics so far, Intel's own diagnostic tool on the CPU, Windows Memory Test, Furmarks GPU stress test and Windows drive test. All of them reporting that they're functioning normally. Do you know what else I can run, to make sure this isn't a hardware issue?

My specs are as follows:

Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula
CPU: i7 4770k @ 3.5Ghz (Haven't overclocked)
RAM: 2x 8GB G.Skill TridentX @ 2400Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce 8GB
Boot drive: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
PSU: Corsair CX750

As you can see, most of my system is quite dated at this point, so I'm a bit worried some of them might start to fail.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
strange, 2 people on same night with same CPU with same error... different systems elsewhere but its a coincidence for sure.

Since you reset and it hasn't happened again yet its difficult to say if its fixed

both errors could be caused by software so maybe you resetting PC has loaded a bunch of different drivers on that aren't causing the errors now.

Could run this on ram - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

run samsung Magician on your ssd and run benchmarks/diagnostics

I could guess PC about 5 years old, its around then PSU start to get suspect so there is that as well.

CluelessPCGamer

Reputable
Apr 29, 2019
strange, 2 people on same night with same CPU with same error... different systems elsewhere but its a coincidence for sure.

Since you reset and it hasn't happened again yet its difficult to say if its fixed

both errors could be caused by software so maybe you resetting PC has loaded a bunch of different drivers on that aren't causing the errors now.

Could run this on ram - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

run samsung Magician on your ssd and run benchmarks/diagnostics

I could guess PC about 5 years old, its around then PSU start to get suspect so there is that as well.
Thanks for the reply. I just tried running Samsung Magician, no problems to report and it says the drive is in good health. I'll try running memtest86 overnight, and see if there's any issues.

Nov 6, 2020
I registered now to report the same thing happened to me as well. I have the same CPU and Mobo, I also have Nvidia screen card. I updated GPU drivers last night and my computer BSOD with clock watchdog error. Luckily I had a one week old restore point and now my computer boots normally.

Nov 8, 2020
Created a new account to post this... I had the same issue with similar specs:

Mobo: Asus Gryphon Z87
CPU: i7 4770k 3.5 GHz (not overclocked)
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 2x 8GB Patriot DDR3-1866
Main Drive: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256 GB
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 850 W

When looking into safe mode we found an error with the driver for Microsoft Hyper V Virtualization Infrastructure and removing that seems to have fixed the issue (for now).