Question WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO BSODs ?

Jun 23, 2024
For the past several months I have been getting frequent WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSODs that seem to happen at random.

They've been getting increasingly frequent, 10+ plus per day.

Now on every boot up I either get one of the following BSODs:
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
BIOS loading screen
Windows advanced recovery

Here is what I have attempted so far to resolve this:
  1. Check system temperatures to ensure within normal levels
  2. Windows updates to latest versions
  3. Make sure computer power supply is plugged into the wall and not an extension lead
  4. Check Memory isn’t overclocked (2133MHz)
  5. Update graphics card to latest version
  6. Check all drivers are up to date
  7. Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to check memory for errors
  8. Restoring bios to factory defaults
  9. Run chkdsk /r
  10. Error check hard drive - Properties > local disc (C:) > tools > Error checking > scan drive
  11. Updated BIOS from version F51 to F52
  12. Updated BIOS from version F52 to F60
  13. Updated BIOS from version F60 to F61
  14. Updated BIOS from version F61 to F62
  15. Updated BIOS from version F62 to F63a
  16. Updated BIOS from version F63a to F63c
  17. Updated BIOS from version F63c to F64
  18. Updated BIOS from version F64 to F66 (latest version)
  19. Run windows blue screen troubleshooter
  20. Run System File Checkersfc /scannow
  21. Run the Deployment Image Serviving and Management (DISM) toolDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  22. Offline scan with windows defender
  23. Check to make sure XMP in BIOS is disabled.
  24. Check Fabric Clock (FCLK) frequency in the BIOS to make sure it is half memory frequencyHave been unable to locate this value.
  25. Run Disk Clean-up
  26. Check SSD firmware is up to date
  27. Check S.M.A.R.T status of SSD is healthy
  28. Run Device Self-Test in Crucial Storage Executive for SSD (Short Self-Test)
  29. Run Device Self-Test in Crucial Storage Executive for SSD (Extended Self-Test)
  30. Full scan with Windows Defender (unable to finish due to BSOD)
  31. Full scan with Malwarebytes (unable to finish due to BSOD)
  32. Unplug RAM and plug back in
  33. Unplug graphics card and plug back in
  34. Unplug NVME drive and plug back in
  35. Attempted to reset windows via advanced troubleshooter, but it says there was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made. Can't get this to work for online download or local copy of windows.
Here is my hardware:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor
Motherboard - Gigabyte B450M DS3H-CF
Storage - Crucial P1 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD
Graphics card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Armor OC Graphics Card
Power: Corsair TX550M PSU
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-RAM 3600 MHz 2x 16 GB

Windows 10

Here is the output from a mindump file with WinDbg I was able to get when I could occasionally get the computer to boot up a few months ago:
https://pastebin.com/7nV5ZTmm

Unless anyone has any better ideas my next steps are:
1. Test Memory with MemTest86
2. Remove CPU, remove thermal paste and reset it
3. Buy a new CPU
4. Buy a new hard drive
5. Buy a new motherboard

Colif

Win 11 Master
Storage - Crucial P1 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD
BSOD mentions storport.sys which is tied to your storage drives so I would look at ssd even though it passes SMART tests.
Its possibly a physical problem so 4 would be my choice of those
fact drive sometimes doesn't load at all and you just get BIOS screen could be a clue.

to confirm:

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Reactions: tom23432
Jun 23, 2024
BSOD mentions storport.sys which is tied to your storage drives so I would look at ssd even though it passes SMART tests.
Its possibly a physical problem so 4 would be my choice of those
fact drive sometimes doesn't load at all and you just get BIOS screen could be a clue.

to confirm:

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah I'll order a new drive in the next few days and get it swapped out.

I have actually already enable minidumps on BSOD, despite the settings being correct it didn't generate the minidumps. I looked in to this a bit and there can be some errors relating to this that prevent them being created. But after an hour or so I gave up troubleshooting that any further.

Unfortunately now it seems I am completely unable to get a normal boot up and every attempt results in one of the following:
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
BIOS loading screen
Windows advanced recovery

So no actual access to make changes outside of BIOS or anything inside Windows advanced recovery.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have actually already enable minidumps on BSOD, despite the settings being correct it didn't generate the minidumps. I looked in to this a bit and there can be some errors relating to this that prevent them being created. But after an hour or so I gave up troubleshooting that any further.
that could be another sign its the drive, as its really hard to write an error report to the device that caused it. I have seen that before.

getting into advanced recovery is meant to happen on every 3rd failed startup. so that shows some parts of windows works, if its only advanced startup.

Reactions: tom23432
Jun 23, 2024
that could be another sign its the drive, as its really hard to write an error report to the device that caused it. I have seen that before.

getting into advanced recovery is meant to happen on every 3rd failed startup. so that shows some parts of windows works, if its only advanced startup.
Thanks that's useful to know about advanced recovery.