"whea_uncorrectable_error" Bsod message

TitusRaven

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
I just installed Windows 8.1 on my Dell Vostro 400. and it gave me this BSOD message "whea_uncorrectable_error". it freezes and restarts until i turn it off. is there a way to make this work?

This is a bugcheck generated directly by the CPU. Most often it is caused because of incorrect voltage being applied to the CPU.
This can happen because of incorrect settings being applied to the BIOS (often resetting the BIOS to the defaults or updating the BIOS helps) Sometimes it indicates that a Power supply is outside of its correct voltage range. (power supply voltage regulators or mother board voltage regulator is in the process of failing.

Do this quick check:eek:n older system check your system clock and confirm that it is correctly set. Sometimes you can get something like this when you battery backup on your motherboard fails. (it the time is correct your battery is most likely ok) the battery generally is ok for 3 to 5 years before it has to be replaced

-this error is also very common with overclocked CPU's

TitusRaven

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

So you're saying it has nothing to do with Windows 8.1? even though it was completely fine before i installed it?

nope, it is generated directly by the CPU and passed to windows. I have looked at the error in the windows debugger many times. Most of the time it is a error generated by the memory controller inside the CPU complaining about a cache error. if you post your memory dump I will dump the data in the debugger for you using the !errrec command. (there are many errors that the CPU can generate)

You will want to check your voltages in BIOS then boot a memtest86 CD and confirm that your hardware works as expected.
- I guess you would also want to confirm your CPU fan is also working, same with your power supply.

onlinealias

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

Sorry to bump the thread but this seems to be the issue I am having as well. Still fairly uncommon at this point but I'd say it's happened about 5 times in the past 3 months. About 4 months ago I noticed my cpu was getting absurdly hot. As in like 85 degrees Celsius under 50 percent load. (i7 4770k but at stock). Probably hit 100 degrees Celsius a few times before being throttled severely. so I took off the CPU heatsink and repasted that sucker. Totally fixed the problem. Works fine now. But I occasionally get this whea_uncorrectable_error. Could the previous overheating of the CPU have caused this? CPU rarely exceeds 60 degrees now.

overheated CPU can cause a failure in its electronics that will still be there when the CPU cools down.
you can use the windows debugger and the !errrec command on the WHEA data structure to see what the CPU is complaining about. if each bucheck complains about the same bank of cache memory then you could have a bad bank.

amileigh

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
I have had the same issue. As soon as I did the update for Windows 8.1 I got the same error. I had refreshed my system and didn't run the lastest updates and It worked really well then my partner did the update while I was away and it happened again. I have no removed those updates and have no intentions of ever I stalking them. My cpu is only just turn 1 years old and never had any issues u til that update

ckcwaterman

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
Windows admitted that after the update it was causing the blue screen, so they took the updates off.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-pulls-last-weeks-windows-8-1-update-users-report-blue-screens-death-restart-loops/

Travis_6

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
SOLVED - - - I know this is an old thread but i had installed windows 10 and started getting the WHEA error. My solution was deleting the windows updates and turn of windows update. i tested this by removing the updates and noticing the error stopped. i then allowed the computer to reinstall the updates and it started again. I spoke with microsoft and what they dont want to tell you is that this is a common problem with windows 8 and 10 but want people to believe it is an issue with your computer not with their crap software and security updates. Best of luck to everyone.

pikunsia

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Well Travis, I think this issue has to do with Win 8.1/10, but I doubt this is a Windows update problem. In my opinion this issue is exceptionally rare, strange. It is possible that the conflict is among the OS and something which has to do with the CPU. Since mid-September it happened to me just one time, never with Win7.

HPW

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015
Same as Travis. Windows 10 OS, was working just fine until a little over a month ago. Then I'd get BSODs minutes after I'd rebooted the computer. I reset it, reinstalled the OS, and it worked fine until it updated again. Did the same thing and have been delaying updates for over a week: zero issues. I'd turn off the updates entirely, but there's apparently no way to do that. Not sure why.

Sleerf

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015

This "dead thread" is alive and well. I did a fresh clean install of Win10 2 weeks ago - completely reformatted and everything. No specific issue drove me to do this. I had upgrade from win7 to 8 to 8.1 to several iterations of Win10 previews and the official Win10 and on the official WIN10 upgrade my modern apps quit working. All else was fine though.

Since the reformat, everything has been perfect. Then last night it rolled and update (I'm on the insider fast track) and when it rebooted - bam.... this started. It does it every time I run the machine. And it is something muck later in the login process. SafeMode works fine. I can let it sit on my login screen indefinitely. But after login, it gets about 2/3 through the 15 seconds it takes to load startup items and stabilize and then crashes. So something loading in that last third is causing it.

The bootlog isn't really helping me. When I get home later I'm going to enable verbose logging and maybe use MSConfig in safemode and disable everything, then start adding halves of the startup items until I get it to fail. I'm hoping that works at least. If it crashes with everything turned off then I'll have to figure something else out. But either way, since everthing else seems fine, I can't see how it would be a CPU voltage issue unless Windows can directly impact the voltage.......

um.... That just made me think of something... Power management. Does the windows power saving feature for the processor usage have the ability to alter CPU voltage? If so, that sounds like it could be the culprit.

Skinb_

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Hi Sleerf sorry to interrupt your talking with pikunsia. But my son has just sms from school with this error on his lap top we have just had it fixed and they replaced the mother board and the power supply so why is he stilll getting this error. sorry to interrupt and ask this question

Sleerf

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015

I just don't know. But the "hardware issue" is apparently wrong. I had made an image of my drive a month ago and simply reformatted my drive and installed that image and everything went back to normal and the error went away. If it was a hardware issue that wouldn't have fixed it. In your case, the hardware was replaced but that didn't fix it. But until everyone stops repeating the hardware issue answer and actually looks into it deeper we'll never know.

In your case, I'm willing to bet that the school has some kind of drive image setup where they can rapidly restore the OS to the same state as they handed the machine out to your kid. I would have him back up all of his personal files, homework, and anything else he has on it and have him get with the admin and ask them to re-image the drive. They may give pushback because they know everything but don't let up. Explain that the hardware was replaced and just ask them to do it to amuse you.

I have a deep suspicion that this has something to do with the software side of the power management system that has been corrupted. If so, I believe that it could cause the CPU to get the wrong voltage, or it could wrongly assume there is incorrect voltage on the CPU. Either way it's obvious that it can be either hardware or software causing it and since you've already eliminated the hardware..............

Hello guys. I'm new to this problem.I have recently moved from AMD to Intel. Bought a Z97 motherboard, an i5 4690K and a 212evo. I installed the components and Win10 with formated hard drives. It all went well enough untill Iinstalled all the crap from Gigabyte appcentre like easytune, Vtuner etc.... I used easytune and tried the autotunning to see how much can I squeeze from my new CPU. Keep in mind that temperatures were aroun 20-25C before. The Autotunning got all the way up to 4.7Ghz and it made it stable. Soon enough after restart and al that crap, I got the error we are all trying to find out what is it about. Because the computer is very fast in OS, I could not open in time the easytune app to restore to default because it crashed again. So I made a Windows reset ( the keep my files option) but it did unninstall all the Gigabyte apps and it now works. So for me this was the problem, OC'ing the CPU. I will try it again but change a few things in power management before OC'ing. I strongly suspect that the standard power scheme is not allowing the PSU to send the needed power to the CPU and other components probably.

Krum83

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
hi to all .It's not Hardware issue at all
I've reset my window 10 and then I stopped WINDOWS updates ,there was a conflict with google chrome app , newest drivers installed as well
So STOP your windows 10 Updates and try using google Chrome Canary .
how to prevent Windows 10 from automatically downloading updates ( http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/ )

andreescajeda

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
Well gentlemen, I got a similar problem with a laptop that my brother gave me. It's an Asus N56VJ and he told me that it had a water spill years ago and he dried and took it for service to clean it and everything. Everything was just fine, but when he tried the laptop again it wasn't responding, sometimes he had to press down the power button like 1 second to turn on the laptop, and when the laptop turned on it took time to load Windows 8.1 and the system keeped crashing time after time, sometimes were the WHEA BSOD, or sometimes it freezed like forever and other times the screen fade black and showed on the left side blinking dots of RGB colors, obviously with the computer freezed. The time passed (like 1 day, lol) and the HDD didn't boot up. Well... that seem strange so I used another functional HDD with Windows 10 (actually my current HDD) and put it on to the ASUS. I changed some options of the BIOS because it didn't wanted to boot up and I did it, the system booted up on the ASUS and everything was working until 45 minutes... WHEA BSOD. I was just like what? I'm gonna change the RAM slots, did it and same story (it was the BSOD or the black screen with dots). Finally I thought maybe it was a faulty processor, so I took it off from the MOBO (it was an i5 3rd gen) and changed it for an i7-3040QM, change the thermal paste and put it back all over. When I turned on the laptop it was working like a brand-new but it keeps displaying or the BSOD or the black screen and well, I'm like giving up because everything just look fine, I used a working HDD (which I installed the drivers from the ASUS), a working pair or RAMs and a working i7. Do you know what can be the problem? Fan is working and everything just look fine. I'd hope it can be a solution and it wouldn't be a faulty MOBO. (Sorry for my English btw, no native American...)

P. S. The press one second problem was done but another problem was in the BIOS, sometimes it freezes and I have to restart from turning off the laptop.

gopalvq

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016

Can you tell us what updates you have deleted? I have been having this issue since 6 months when I upgraded to windows 10. Now I don't know which updates to be deleted and I don't want to delete important updates.

Kieran_9

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
i started getting this error as soon as i connected to the internet.

i had a fresh Windows 10 install on a brand new PC (less than 2 weeks old) that i built it for gaming.
iv been using it basically on full throttle for the 2 weeks since its been built and have not had the error. and it hasnt been connected to the internet.

i put a Wireless card into it to install some updates for games, and within 30mins of connecting to the internet i get this error.
I have unistalled the gigabyte APP, and im in the process of disabling the windows 10 updates.

can anyone give the updates to uninstall/not download?

itsbry

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
Isn't it possible that a software change affected the way the hardware runs? By this, I mean that if an update was installed and it caused the operating system to use the CPU differently, then you'd have your hardware problem exacerbated by the software and boom, BSOD.