[SOLVED] WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD while gaming after wiping SSD and HDD ?

May 17, 2021
I recently wiped my HDD and SSD as my PC was regularly freezing during games (Risk of Rain 2, TFT) at random times. After reinstalling Windows onto my SSD and installing games onto my SSD and HDD, my computer has started to get the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD whenever I try to play a game installed on either drive (Destiny 2, League of Legends, TFT, Spin Rhythm XD) a few seconds after launching them. It usually takes longer for less demanding games to blue screen.
I'm aware that the error means that there is a problem with the hardware, BIOS settings or drivers in my system. To see where the problem lay, I've tried numerous tests, including:
  • Launching games without my HDD plugged in (still crashes)
  • Stress testing my CPU and RAM using IntelBurnTest and Prime95
  • Stress testing my GPU using FurMark
  • Running MemTest86 (but only for one loop, about 25 minutes) (resulted in zero errors)
And none of the stress tests where I maxed out the usage of my individual components resulted in the BSOD. This leads me to believe that the issue lies in my installed drivers, which would make sense as my PC before the wipe wouldn't get these kinds of errors. However, I have tried both the latest AMD drivers (21.5.1) and the drivers that come on the disk that came with my card, and my BIOS is on the latest version (F22e) and I have no pending Windows updates, yet no matter what the issue persists when I launch a game.

Specs:
CPU - Intel Core 15-7500
GPU - Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 4GB VRAM
Motherboard - GIGABYTE H170N-WIFI-CF
Drives: - WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 [1 TB]
- Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB [M.2]
Memory - 2 x 4GB PC4-19200 SDRAM DDR4 SDRAM Crucial Technology (1200MHz)
PSU - ATX Switching Power Supply SANR-F500P (500W)

Edit: I have also set all of my BIOS settings to the system default to make sure I haven't messed anything up there.
Edit 2: I have managed to make my computer BSOD by running Valley Benchmark on the Extreme preset, in which it had a framerate of over 100FPS before crashing.
Edit 3: I also managed to recreate the BSOD using FurMark, but only while running FurMark's CPU burner at the same time as the GPU benchmark (also as an FYI I don't overclock at all).

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums!

I'm aware that the error means that there is a problem with the hardware, BIOS settings or drivers in my system
But more so hardware - it's WHEA, which is Windows Hardware Error Architecture.

This leads me to believe that the issue lies in my installed drivers
It can be, but some of the tests you have run wouldn't be entirely valid, like the Memtest. This has to be done fully for it to be effective, ideally with 8 passes, but 4 passes can often suffice. Even then, just because it passes a test, does not mean the hardware is functioning as it should. There are plenty of faulty GPUs that can pass Furmark, CPUs that pass P95 and RAM that passes Memtest.

which would make sense as my PC before...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

I'm aware that the error means that there is a problem with the hardware, BIOS settings or drivers in my system

This leads me to believe that the issue lies in my installed drivers
It can be, but some of the tests you have run wouldn't be entirely valid, like the Memtest. This has to be done fully for it to be effective, ideally with 8 passes, but 4 passes can often suffice. Even then, just because it passes a test, does not mean the hardware is functioning as it should. There are plenty of faulty GPUs that can pass Furmark, CPUs that pass P95 and RAM that passes Memtest.

which would make sense as my PC before the wipe wouldn't get these kinds of errors
You also state that you were having freezes before hand, it could easily be that the problem has just changed the way it is appearing. You stated you had issues before the wipe, and now you just have a different appearing issue now, so it could be the same.

You also have other hardware to account for - they're not so easily tested, but can easily cause these issues too. Such as:

PSU - ATX Switching Power Supply SANR-F500P (500W)
Based on what I've found, I wouldn't go near this PSU with a barge pole. Just see #1 here: Top (not as obvious) mistakes made when selecting parts for a Custom PC.

Can you post the dump files in a shared location for us to download?

Solution
May 17, 2021
I've figured I need a new PSU for a long time, the current one came stock in the PC since I've had it. It was originally a work PC and I've slowly replaced all of the parts bar the PSU. I'll definitely look at replacing that no matter what.
It's late for me right now but I will upload a dump file tomorrow
Welcome to the forums!

You also state that you were having freezes before hand, it could easily be that the problem has just changed the way it is appearing. You stated you had issues before the wipe, and now you just have a different appearing issue now, so it could be the same.

You also have other hardware to account for - they're not so easily tested, but can easily cause these issues too. Such as:

Based on what I've found, I wouldn't go near this PSU with a barge pole. Just see #1 here: Top (not as obvious) mistakes made when selecting parts for a Custom PC.

Can you post the dump files in a shared location for us to download?

I figured that I should replace my PSU for the longest time but never got around to it. I'll make that a priority.

As for the dump file it's late where I am right now so I'll upload it tomorrow. I've told Windows to create a minidump for BSODs but I can't seem to find it in C:\Windows\Minidump as the folder isn't there?

I'm also curious as to how wiping my drives could have even created this problem in the first place. Did the hardware get damaged somewhere along the line? Or was it already damaged before when it started freezing during my games, and it's just shifted from a freeze to a BSOD?

This is my first time having an issue with my computer where I feel stuck with what to do other than to replace the parts; I'd like to ideally keep what I have besides the PSU if I can, but worst case scenario get an idea as to what I need to replace.

Thanks for the welcome and the help :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Or was it already damaged before when it started freezing during my games, and it's just shifted from a freeze to a BSOD?
That would be more my theory. You had issues before a clean install, you had issues afterwards, often not a coincidence. Clean installing will not cause any damage, but clean installing can allow some problems to present themselves more obviously. A common sign of a hardware issue it clean installing and the clean install not rectifying the problem.

Tie that in with a WHEA error, and suddenly your mind is more likely to look at hardware. Not guaranteed, but certainly much more likely.

Dump files might be able to shed a bit more light. They should be in the location you've described, unless you have full memory dumps enabled in which case they won't be in a minidumps folder. If you only enabled these after the BSOD, then you'll need to wait for the next BSOD.

May 17, 2021
That would be more my theory. You had issues before a clean install, you had issues afterwards, often not a coincidence. Clean installing will not cause any damage, but clean installing can allow some problems to present themselves more obviously. A common sign of a hardware issue it clean installing and the clean install not rectifying the problem.

Tie that in with a WHEA error, and suddenly your mind is more likely to look at hardware. Not guaranteed, but certainly much more likely.

Dump files might be able to shed a bit more light. They should be in the location you've described, unless you have full memory dumps enabled in which case they won't be in a minidumps folder. If you only enabled these after the BSOD, then you'll need to wait for the next BSOD.

I can't manage to get a memory dump file for the bluescreen error no matter what I do. The BSOD only lasts for a second before flickering black and restarting my computer, and the percent mark never goes past zero. How can I go about getting information on the error if the BSOD keeps failing to create the dump file?

The only logging I've managed to get a hand of is the logs in Event Viewer, which I'm not sure if they're useful. The following are Windows Error Logs for the last few minutes in which I got two blue screens attempting to launch Destiny 2.

Event 1101 [10:03:00pm], Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0
Event 1000 [10:03:29pm], Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1862, time stamp: 0x608c08e2
Faulting module name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1862, time stamp: 0x608c08e2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000003d7a92
Faulting process id: 0x1ff8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d74bcd093a1737
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Report Id: fd0347ed-c1d9-449a-a370-a527b1fc612b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event 6008 [10:03:00pm], The previous system shutdown at 10:03:00 pm on ‎18/‎05/‎2021 was unexpected.
Event 161 [10:08:07pm], Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
Event 1101 [10:08:12pm], Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0
Event 6008 [10:15:16], The previous system shutdown at 10:08:12 pm on ‎18/‎05/‎2021 was unexpected.
Event 161 [10:15:11pm], Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
Event 1101 [10:15:17pm], Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0