[SOLVED] When adding new 2 rams, the PC keeps shutting down

Jul 8, 2021
I am new to this community. I have an issue similar to this post (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/2-ram-modules-works-4-do-not-works.3576732/). I am using the same motherboard (ASUS Z390-E) with Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3600 memories.

Because I wanted to increase the memory size, I bought a set of RAMs from the same brand with a larger size (Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3600 memories). When I put them on the motherboard, the PC kept shutting off immediately after turning on. Sometimes, the PC can go into BIOS, and I confirmed that the BIOS recognized all the memories. However, when I exited the BIOS and (was forced to) restarted the PC, then the PC kept shutting off again. I was never able to reach Windows when using the 4 memory sticks. According to the BIOS info when I could enter it fortunately,
Frequency: 3600 MHz
BCLK: 100 MHz
Ratio: 36x
DRAM volt: 1.439 V
Temperature: 34C
Core Voltage: 1.012 V
DRAM Freq: 3500 MHz
Capacity 49152 MB

I tried cleaning the new RAMs, unplug, also changing the RAM battery to 1.5 V. It did not work. Could anyone have some insight on this issue?

Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios.

To test ram
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok...
Jul 8, 2021
Thank you for your quick reply. Because I was able to enter the BIOS again, I set the settings to the default, and it worked! Thank you!

It seems like the Ai Overclock Tuner XMP I is not compatible with my PC setting. If I turned on it, I had the same issue.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
You can sometimes compensate for errors by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios.

To test ram
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Reactions: egg_tukemen
Solution