When can I buy an Nvidia soundcard

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I have an Audigy now but in games I get the occasional 'pop' in the sound. It sounds ok otherwise.. I was always drawn to soundblaster because of their old school SB16 compatibility when I fire up my old dos games once in a blue moon.
But with the existence of 16bit dos in Win2k/XP gone.. I'm not going to dual boot into 98 to get true SB16 dos compatibility (which I always found to sound better than emulation).. VDMSound actually sounds about perfect.

So its time to ditch creative and their popping.

BTW, I always did prefer A3D to EAX (by far for positional sounds), is the NV card good for this? Or would the Santa Cruz cards (whatever chip they use) be better?

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, that was a bad choice because MOST soundcards have or had SB16 compatability, from my old MediaVision sound cards up to my Aureal SQ2500.

Hard to say when nVidia will have their card ready, but I expect it will be 1 product cycle after the anouncement, which would be early next spring I think.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
right, i had an ensoniq soundscape that supposedly had sb emu and it sounded like crap compared to a soundblaster actually doing it.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.

Man I gave up my Creative cards for the Turtle, and haven't regretted it once, no popping and crackling, virtual 5.1 surround to cover anything not recorded in 5.1, so you can still enjoy your 5.1 speaker system, just flat out trouble free operation. In my opinion the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is a solid winner, and well worth the money.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Yeah I'm getting really tired of the occasional popping... really strange but I'm not buying an Audigy2 to see if it goes away as they've gotten my money for years.

I've never had this problem until the audigy came along though so I might give them another try yet.
The NV looks good because its even more advanced than the latest creative cards. I'd miss EAX3.0 though and I hope the incredible sound in Call of Duty isnt reduced without it.. :frown:

edit- the popping is a new problem for me and im going to try removing the drivers and reinstalling clean to see if that fixes it.. I'm not really up for spending more money.
If I did switch it would definitely be to the NV, I like NV and the old aureal (a3d) engineers went there.
I really liked a3d.

----
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 11/01/03 00:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
my problems fixed, i just uninstalled the drivers, used the driverheaven utility to remove all creative files and then reinstalled the latest version.. no more pops.
i think the problem started when i tried to install the latest drivers over mine on accident, either way something got corrupted.

I just got Call of Duty and the game has the best sound I've heard in a game yet... I'm probably going to stick with soundblaster because this game supports EAX3 and its phenomenal.
Unless something goes very wrong I'll probably continue using the audigy but the soundstorm would be my 2nd choice.

----

kinney, Aren't you the one a while back that was having bully problems? And we were trying to advise you on self defense tactics, if you are the kinney I think you are, how did all that work out for you?

As far as the soundcard is concerned, if you lived within driving range of me, I feel strongly enough about the difference between the TBSC and the Creative, that I'd volunteer to buy the TBSC back from you, (but only you,) if you weren't satisfied with it. I have an Audigy Gamer card collecting dust, it would develope the crackling and popping, I'd reinstall the drivers, it would be OK for awhile then for some reason start back, and I'd have to reinstall the drivers again, that gets old quick, I installed the Turtle Beach one time, have never in almost 1 1/2 years had to go back and reinstall the drivers, and its been crystal clear ever since, for Games, Audio, and it rocks on DVD playback. Theres been a lot of posting lately about problems even with the Audigy 2, and theres a whole lot more posted problems with Creative card problems than Turtle Beach. Take that into consideration if you're even thinking about going with another Creative product.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Yeah that guy at school was an arse. Everything turned out ok, he wanted to fight me because me because of an arguement over AMD/Intel. It really wasnt an arguement. He pretty much told me and another guy that we were too poor to afford "the good [-peep-]", which according to him was his rambus powered pc1066 system which he knew nothing about. He called me all kinds of names and what I said to set him off was that the willamette sucked and he wanted to go outside over it.
He wanted me to put my money where my mouth is or whatever.. even though he just got done calling my friend a pencilneck for carrying an AMD bag to school and insulting me. Then flips over the willamette point.
Hes seriously a f*cked up individual, he always acted really strange in that class and made fun of everyone he could.
I just told him im not getting a fight over a processor...
He made comments to me the rest of that semester but nothing I couldnt brush off... he just looked like an idiot.
I just thought he was far out enough to actually start a fight even w/o provoking.

As far as the turtle beach, if my problems come back I will switch to a santa cruz. But thats not good you had the exact same problems with your audigy.
I wouldnt get another creative product because the new ones dont offer any benefits to me over what I have.
And I refuse to buy another card of the same brand to fix problems, being a hardware beta tester is just against my principle. If problems persist I'm going to your card or the nvidia.

----

I'm glad you got past all that trouble, it can really be distracting, when you have to wonder what some idiot may try to do to you, over an insignificant issue of what CPU you prefer. If he got that upset over something so trivial, what would he do when it really was important? I'm glad you didn't have to use some of the advise you were given in your request for help thread, because the advise I gave you was for getting out of a basically, a life or death situation, you would have walked away, but he would have gone to the hospital, and in this day and time, you may have ended up liable. So I'm really glad a peaceful ending was the outcome, for you and him.

I also wanted to say, I saw you post some in the Spud case thread, and I was pretty irate and pissed off at that time, trying to come to Spuds defense on the fairness of the ban, and I made some harsh comments toward those in opposition, so if I said anything that offended you I apoligize for it. Ryan

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
No offense was ever taken.
What you said about the guy from my class is exactly what I think, who knows what someone will do over something really important.
I can tell you I think hes really unhappy.

----

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
What do you think about the M-Audio Revolution?
From reviews I've read they say its above the Audigy 2 and Santa Cruz (I assume they group those two in similar performance in sound quality and quite a bit better than the Audigy/Lives.
The M-Audio has no hardware acceleration though.
<A HREF="http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hardware/revolution71/rev-9.shtml" target="_new">Heres a review</A>

I'm still getting the rare sound pop on occasion just working in windows.

You're starting to sell me on the Santa Cruz though.
The Revolution is about $90 at newegg while a Santa Cruz (with hardware acceleration and Audigy2 sound quality) is $45.

But I'd still like you hear your opinion on M-Audio.

edit- But I have to add in that I'm not a huge gamer..so the lack of hardware acceleration might not be a huge issue. Not hardcore by any means. I'll play some CS, Call of Duty or Worms 3D occasionally lately but I'm no where near a 24/7 gamer. And my speakers are logitech z560s if that makes a difference.
But after reading some MAudio Revo reviews it sounds like a great alternative, even worth giving up a measly 10fps for good sound!
<A HREF="http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/m-audio_revolution_7.1_review/page7.asp" target="_new">Another review</A> This review says above 640x480 the lack of acceleration doesnt matter anyway and I'd believe that.
----
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 11/03/03 00:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

I seriously considered that card but, its powerful on the music side but weak on the gaming side, and I'm just not ready to give up my gaming, it also is weak on the drivers side, but thats not something that in time they can't get worked out, they haven't been mainstream that long. Put it this way Kinney, the Santa Cruz is such a good card, after I bought mine, we weren't having any problems with my wifes soundcard at the time, but I bought her a Turtle and put it in her machine, and for a person thats not as sound fanatical as myself, she could tell a difference, needless to say I was impressed. Both cards, no problems.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I'll keep that in mind, the Santa Cruz and Revo are neck and neck for my dollar!

To be perfectly honest, I've 'always' had pops and crackles in my sound on my PCs, besides when I used a Ensoniq Soundscape (a good sounding card, wonder where they went?)
Though I always went soundblaster as they had better sound for those old school dos games that I love.
As crash pointed out every card does this but I didnt find my soundscape and other cards I encountered sounded on-key in those old games.
Now with VDM sound as the only way to even play those games in a strictly 32bit OS it makes that a moot point. And VDM sounds (surprisingly) just like a real SB in dos games.

So I'm officially joining you and crash's anti-creative faction that you got going on.

I liked A3D better (by far) myself and havent really gotten my moneys worth out of creative... I might have EAX3 (reverb, not better positioning...) but who cares when your getting sound pops like the audigy isnt even transferring data over the PCI bus correctly?
I've read many things about Creatives PCI implementation as well as VIA's because I went through a harsh trouble shooting spell with that combo..
from all the technical crap I've read, I think both Creative AND VIA suck.

----

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I moved my audigy to the top pci slot to see if that gets rid of it... I am certainly no longer going to recommend these cards.
1. They are PCI bandwidth hogs
2. Use the latest PCI spec which not every mobo maker has gone too, yet Intel has so Creative assumes the world has it
3. Not only are they bandwidth hogs they flood the PCI bus when not even in USE!
4. Problems everywhere due to their lack of testing on anything but intel

I dont have much money right now, I'm about done with school and just getting by so hopefully moving the card to the top will remove some of the annoying noises.
Its one of those supersticious beliefs that soundblasters carry with them...

----

To be perfectly honest, I've 'always' had pops and crackles in my sound on my PCs, besides when I used a Ensoniq Soundscape (a good sounding card, wonder where they went?)
Though I always went soundblaster as they had better sound for those old school dos games that I love.
As crash pointed out every card does this

Far be it from me to disagree with the crashman, but the TBSC cards I own do not pop and crackle, at all! never have from the beginning until now! The only reason drivers are replaced is when they come out with new ones, and when they're replaced they work, and they keep working, its the most trouble free card I've used, just because its cheaper, doesn't mean it won't do the job, but you're going to have to find that out for yourself. I'm not a TBSC salesman, just a very satisfied customer.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I had to put my trusty and well loved ol' TBSC out to pasture for a piece O' crap audigy 2 recently because the only game I care about , Aces High online won't work with the card on my new rig .. never had a problem before :( now when I launch all is well up to and including starting a planes engine .. then the sound just cuts out entirely for the engine sounds and ambient wind noise, the in-game vox still works and the guns sound when fired as well as the other effects like flaps gear etc and hit noises when I am getting shot at, the engine noise etc also seems to return while someone is talking to me on the vox channel but then cuts out again... sometimes it cut in and out randomly.. reinstalled the game and the TB drivers repeatedly to no avail.. anyone have a clue for a fix for this ( so I can ditch the audigy2 back to Fleabay from whence it came :evil:
(oh yeah tried it at bios defaults and current OC with same results)
sys specs \ config
asus p4c800-e
2.4c @ 3.20ghz
zalman 7000a CU HSF
2x 256 ocz gold ddr500
ati radeon 9700 pro
TB or audigy sound cards
onboard gigabit intel csa lan
120gb maxtor 8 mb 7200rpm
2x 80gb maxtor 8 mb 7200rpm
Thermaltake 480w psu
thermaltake xaserIII w/ 7 fans

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

This Aces High, is the only game you're having a problem with, have you contacted Turtle Beach and informed them about it? You're not running Windows XP are you, you listed everything except your OP/SYS?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
oops yeah running xp (pro sp1) I contacted the people at aces high and no help there I guess I will try TB eventually

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

It may not be related at all, but lately I've noticed some weirdness with Windows XP Pro SP1, no soundcard related issues yet, but I don't have the Aces High game to check it out with, the games I do play have no sound issues at all, however I'm dual booting Win98SE so any games that even seem funky acting with XP I transfer over and play on Win98SE. What I'm trying to say is that XP also may possibly be part of the problem, but theres no way for you to find that out, unless you were dual booting, ran the game on the same machine, with the same hardware, under another OP/SYS, and it performed OK. Then the finger could be pointed at XP, or elsewhere, if the problem remained.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
a lot of other people run the game with xp sp1 without issues but I don't know any with my HW (it's all pretty new stuff) at this point I have written to TB support and am waiting for an answer

btw download the game from www.hitechcreations.com for free