When connecting second display, both go black

lubjakas

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
Hello! I bought myself a new GPU. (GTX 1050Ti) When I connect only one display, with DVI-D, then its all working and running. As soon as I plug in the second display with HDMI, (VGA converted to HDMI) both displays are black. Primary screen goes black after Windows loading screen and it doesn't even seem to recognize the second display. It's very odd because I had both of my displays running with my previous GPU. (GTX 1050)

I have all the latest GPU drivers.

--Specs:
Intel Pentium G4400 @3.3ghz
8GB of RAM @2133mhz
Asus GTX 1050Ti 4GB
Msi H110M PRO-VD mobo

I would really appreciate if someone helped me out! Thanks!!! :)

Chris201262

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Download the latest stable driver version for your card direct from NVidia, dont get it from the manufacturer downloads...Download and run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in safe mode to get rid of all trace of previous display drivers and then fresh install the NVidia driver, this would be first step to resolve as almost certainly a driver issue.

Let me know if that works.

lubjakas

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
@solarasreign
I plugged my second display into my laptop with a VGA cable and the display is working and isn't defected. (My GPU doesn't have a VGA and I cannot swap the cables around as my second display ONLY has VGA) The display and VGA cable are working for sure, but I have no clue if the VGA-to-HDMI converter is working. I assume it still is.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
Why don't you test it?

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
Yeah, PC testing is tedious at times, but you'll have to test your cables too. If your GPU has two ports for HDMI, I suggest that over VGA anytime. If your monitors only have VGA, than fuck. I like testing every option out there just to cover my bases and be certain of where the flaw could be, I don't know how limited you are.

Chris201262

Commendable
May 1, 2016
I have a 1050ti with a dual monitor setup, however my card has 3 hdmi ports and one dvi-d. with mine i have both connected hdmi and on windows startup when it gets to the login screen (windows 10) only one screen will display the login screen, the other screen stays blank.

When i first had them i tried to do 1 x dvi-d and 1 x hdmi, what i noticed is that no matter which i had set as screen 1, it always wanted to display the login screen on the HDMI monitor, the dvi-d connected one (even though set as monitor 1 in windows) was the one that stayed blank.

Im wondering if its trying to display your login screen to the hdmi connected monitor as it did mine, which is why the other is blank... BUT because its a vga to hdmi converted connection windows isnt recognising it pre login and thats why both are just staying blank??

It may sound like codswollop but the theory is there based on my own experience with mine.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017

Thats one theory. The joys of troubleshooting PC. Woo.