When do you think GPU's will start using DisplayPort 1.3?

SugarHD

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
tl;dr what the title says.

As the title say I'm asking everyone for mainly one reason. New top line GPUs only support DP 1.2 like 980ti and the titan line. AMD recently revealed the Fury X which also only has DP 1.2 support. Why does this matter at all you may be asking yourself? Well for me I was making a 4k build that would be my productivity/gaming build. Now here comes the issue. I wanted this to be 120hz (Originally 144hz but that's not happening) but only DP 1.3 supports that and no GPUs currently support 1.3. So here I'll repeat my question and ask a new one. When do you think GPUs will start using DP 1.3 and why haven't they already started using it considering the tech for DP 1.3 is 1+ years old?

Sidenote: This is the planned build. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SugarHD/saved/sL6Ff7 If the 980ti supported DP 1.3 I would just wait until monitors updated to 4K 120hz, BUT they don't. Also any criticism is appriciated.

Solution
Interesting topic, I was not aware of DP 1.3 until now. I would assume that the next gen of gpu's will feature dp 1.3, and that is probably going to be sometime 2016.

As for your build, it looks good, but I really think there are much better monitor options than the ROG Swift. It has gotten some pretty rough reviews about it's TN panel, and if you're wanting to do productivity, then IPS is definitely the way to go. I would highly recommend an Asus XB270HU. It is all that the Swift is, but IPS and about $60 more. Definitely worth it at that price-point.
Unless you're set on the looks of the ROG Swift, which in that case, you may be better off waiting for the new monitors Asus unveiled at Computex, the PG279Q (or the free-sync version...

Noah Siano

Reputable
May 13, 2015
Interesting topic, I was not aware of DP 1.3 until now. I would assume that the next gen of gpu's will feature dp 1.3, and that is probably going to be sometime 2016.

As for your build, it looks good, but I really think there are much better monitor options than the ROG Swift. It has gotten some pretty rough reviews about it's TN panel, and if you're wanting to do productivity, then IPS is definitely the way to go. I would highly recommend an Asus XB270HU. It is all that the Swift is, but IPS and about $60 more. Definitely worth it at that price-point.
Unless you're set on the looks of the ROG Swift, which in that case, you may be better off waiting for the new monitors Asus unveiled at Computex, the PG279Q (or the free-sync version MG279Q), which are essentially the IPS upgraded versions of the current ROG Swift.

But back to the issue at hand..it looks like the 4k 120hz market has not kicked off yet. I wouldn't hold out much hope of anything happening until 2016. So get what you want now, and look into upgrade options down the road if you feel it necessary

Solution
Possibly this time next year. If not then, then on the following update.

You are trying to push the envelope here. I am not aware of any 4K 120Hz or 144Hz monitors that have been released. Nor do I expect any until a video card or 3 has been released that can handle DP 1.3. It does not make any sense to put out a monitor that has features that no video card will support for a year or more.

AMD is hearing very loud and clearly right now what not having HDMI 2.0 is doing to Fury X sales. I would bet that if they had included HDMI 2.0 on that card that they would have generated well over 1 million additional sales of the Fury X. People want and have 4K TV's now that can exceed 30Hz. They want video cards that can drive that TV. And the AMD Fury X failed in this respect.

So expect a lot more attention to getting the latest and greatest port versions included in the new 14nm/16nm video GPU's due roughly a year from now.