[SOLVED] When I am trying to initialize my HDD it says 'Incorrect Function'. How can I fix this?

Jan 4, 2020
Just built this PC about 2 weeks ago using a Ryzen 5 2600, GeForce GTX 1660, 16GB of DDR4 3000, 120GB Inland Professional SSD, 1TB Hybrid Seagate, and a Gigabyte DS3H B-450 MOBO. I have my OS (WIN 10) that I reinstalled twice to make sure that wasn't the problem but it wasn't. Every time I go to initialize it just says 'incorrect Function' and doesn't allow me to use it. Any solutions?

Nemesia

Notable
Nov 6, 2019
Start diskpart from a command line, run "List disk" command. Note the drive number of this HDD, do a "select disk X" command with that number in place of X. Then run a "clean" command. That will wipe all the partitions off the disk and any info on it.

Start Disk Manager, you should see the disk there blank, right-click on it, and create a new partition, format that partition. If it fails this, the disk is likely bad.

Nemesia

Notable
Nov 6, 2019
Start diskpart from a command line, run "List disk" command. Note the drive number of this HDD, do a "select disk X" command with that number in place of X. Then run a "clean" command. That will wipe all the partitions off the disk and any info on it.

Start Disk Manager, you should see the disk there blank, right-click on it, and create a new partition, format that partition. If it fails this, the disk is likely bad.

ASK THE COMMUNITY