When I open Windows Explorer in Windows 8.1 I see all kinds of stuff. All I want to see are favorites, my local drives, and ne

UbtchaNoVA

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
I bought a new PC and used Zinstall to transfer applications from my old PC to the new PC which has the Windows 8.1 OS on the SSD Drive C. Everything seems to be working, but what comes up in Windows Explorer is too much for the eyes... I see Favorites with Desktop, Downloads, and Recent Places under it. Then there is Desktop, with OneDrive, Homegroup, Jim Thorstad (me), This PC, Libraries, Network, Control Panel, Recycle Bin, Docs, Logs, and Temp under Desktop. Can I hide any of these, or delete some of them? Is it dangerous to delete any of them? A related annoyance is that when I open Windows Explorer, it seems that all items expand! I would be perfectly okay if I knew how to adjust Windows Explorer so that it opens up, but doesn't expand everything. Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Suggest you go to "Folder Options" and go through all the tabs and options. You'll see fixes for a few of your issues.
Also, you could right-click on the Taskbar, go to Properties, and see if any of the options shown their will help.
From within File Explorer, you can click on "View" and then under "Navigation Pane" their are some options that might help.