[SOLVED] When I wake my Windows 10 PC from Sleep, the second PC in my room also powers on!?

zak88lx

Commendable
Mar 6, 2021
Hello,

When I wake my Windows 10 PC from sleeping, it powers on the other Windows 10 PC in the same room which was also sleeping.
This is happening before I login, so I don't think it's a Microsoft account thing, and I have disabled all Syncing in the Windows settings on both PC's.
Both PCs are running Windows 10 Pro.

Any ideas?
I do have a Network printer, but it is powered off.

Thanks!

Solution
They are plugged in to separate wall outlets, with separate power bars.
I just tested in reverse, and it appears to be only one-way.
The new 5950X tower powers on the i5-3350P, but not the other way around.

I checked the BIOS settings on the PC that wakes, and "Power on" by PC, PCIE, and RTC are all disabled.

Both PCs are on the same switch in the basement, but each PC has its own Ethernet cable.
Could the switch be triggering this PC based on another PCs activity on the same switch?
I am using a Netgear 16=Port switch (GS116PP).

Thanks!
You could check the Device Manager settings for your Network Adapter to see if a signal coming in over the network is allowed to wake the 3350P. There's some setting buried within your...

zak88lx

Commendable
Mar 6, 2021
are they running off the same power outlet?

does it work in reverse? does it matter which PC you wake?

I checked the BIOS settings on the PC that wakes, and "Power on" by PC, PCIE, and RTC are all disabled.

Both PCs are on the same switch in the basement, but each PC has its own Ethernet cable.
Could the switch be triggering this PC based on another PCs activity on the same switch?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Thanks!
You could check the Device Manager settings for your Network Adapter to see if a signal coming in over the network is allowed to wake the 3350P. There's some setting buried within your network settings that's most likely responsible. You could test this by disconnecting the 3350P from the switch and see if the problem continues or stops.

Reactions: zak88lx
Solution

zak88lx

Commendable
Mar 6, 2021
You could check the Device Manager settings for your Network Adapter to see if a signal coming in over the network is allowed to wake the 3350P. There's some setting buried within your network settings that's most likely responsible. You could test this by disconnecting the 3350P from the switch and see if the problem continues or stops.

Thank you @dwd999, I should have thought of that.

The Realtek NIC on the 3350P had "Allow this device to wake the computer" checked on under Power Management.
After unchecking that, the PC no longer wakes when the 5950X is powered on.
The only strange part was that the NIC power savings on 5950X also had this checked on, so not sure why it wasn't powering on in reverse.

Really appreciate your help, and also thank you @Colif!

Reactions: dwd999