[SOLVED] When i5 4th gen will be obsolete?

Feb 12, 2019
My system is Dell inspiron 3542 laptop with windows 10 and linux mint 19.1 dual boot. I am thinking to swap a ssd in place of dvd drive. But I am concern that is this a good decision to make as it's rocking intel's 4th gen i5 processor.

Solution
In windows I sometime play casual games like csgo but that I can stop till I build a desktop. In linux (which I mostly use) I use for casual computing and do entry level programming like c++,Python and Matlab, but that runs smoothly, if not faster. Tomorrow I am going to upgrade ram from 4GB to 8.
Depends on what you're using it for. General purpose office use it will be good for a long while. Gaming or video editing it might already be relatively obsolete compared to newer 8, 12, and 16 threaded CPUs. But it could still be somewhat useful for entry-level for anything.

If I had a 4th-gen i5 laptop I would consider buying a new SSD for it.

Feb 12, 2019
In windows I sometime play casual games like csgo but that I can stop till I build a desktop. In linux (which I mostly use) I use for casual computing and do entry level programming like c++,Python and Matlab, but that runs smoothly, if not faster. Tomorrow I am going to upgrade ram from 4GB to 8.

Solution
In windows I sometime play casual games like csgo but that I can stop till I build a desktop. In linux (which I mostly use) I do entry level programming like C++,Python and Matlab, but that runs smoothly, if not faster. Tomorrow I am going to upgrade ram from 4GB to 8.
Sure, 8GB RAM and an SSD is a good way to give extra life to the laptop. You will want to reinstall your Operating Systems after you install the new SSD.