Question When moving to a new house, what are the key steps to ensure a smooth transition for my Wi-Fi network?

Aug 20, 2024
When moving to a new house, what are the key steps to ensure a smooth transition for my Wi-Fi network? Should I be aware of any specific considerations for setting up Wi-Fi in a new location, such as compatibility with existing equipment or optimizing signal strength in different areas of the home?

Not really possible.

In the end wifi is all measure the signals in the house. This is why business do what is called a site survey when they install wifi.

A house with solid cement walls is going to have very different coverage than say old style japanese housing that basically has paper walls.

In most cases it the end device that many times has small antenna and does not transmit at the full legal power that is the cause of poor coverage.

The general guidelines is to place the router in as central a location as you can. You want to use ethernet cables for every device that can possibly have a wired connection. Optimum is a house that a wired ethernet connection to every room built into the house. You would then place AP in any room that has issues getting signal from the main router.

If your wifi coverage is poor with just a signal router and you do not have ethernet to the remote room but you do have coax cables you can use MoCA technology to get a ethernet connection.

Your very last and final option is to use any form of repeater or mesh system. You might consider powerline network before repeaters. Powerline might be a bit slower but it is much more stable...this is important if you have a machine you play online games on you have no ability to connect via ethernet.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran