[SOLVED] When playing games I get kicked off for connection issue but I have stable internet and high speeds ?

Apr 30, 2022
My download speeds are 950 Mb down and 70 Mb up, wired connection with a Cat 6 cable directly into the modem, and my nat type varies from open and moderate. I can stream to my friends when watching YouTube and other browser sites, but when I play Destiny 2 i'll be kicked from the game due to a connection issue. I also can't stream on discord if I have any game open regardless of my high connection speeds and wired connection.

I've tried everything I can think of:

• updating drivers
  • optimizing windows 10
  • disabling ipv6
  • scanned for viruses
  • refreshed IP address

The only thing I haven't been able to try is opening ports on the gateway, I live in a house that we are renting for work and the owner doesn't feel comfortable giving me access to the gateway. That's the only solution I haven't been able to try, but I don't think that would work either because wouldn't that mean I would have to open ports for every single game I play?
I need some help because I can't play games regardless of the high end speeds and the wired connection.

Solution
It is highly unlikely it is port related. In general you only need thing like port forwarding when you host private server/games. Most online games are using central servers from the game company and do not need anything special.
Most games run perfectly fine on VPN where you share a public IP with many other people so it does not need any special settings. Now some games where there are no central servers, and this is mainly console games, you do need port forwarding.

Now in theory there could be firewall rules in the router blocking ports. In some company networks they only allow web browser ports. This though does not cause a game to disconnect it makes it not work at all, which I suspect it part of the reason for...

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"the owner doesn't feel comfortable giving me access to the gateway. "

We cannot help with working around the owner's policies and any applicable enforcement of those policies that has been implemented.

You need to work with the owner.

And do be aware that trying to do otherwise in order to play games may cost you your network/internet access completely. Or worse.

It is highly unlikely it is port related. In general you only need thing like port forwarding when you host private server/games. Most online games are using central servers from the game company and do not need anything special.
Most games run perfectly fine on VPN where you share a public IP with many other people so it does not need any special settings. Now some games where there are no central servers, and this is mainly console games, you do need port forwarding.

Now in theory there could be firewall rules in the router blocking ports. In some company networks they only allow web browser ports. This though does not cause a game to disconnect it makes it not work at all, which I suspect it part of the reason for the restriction.

Your problem is a bit hard to say what is causing the problem. I mean if you really thing it is the router then try a VPN service, this would eliminate strange issues between your ISP and the game company ISP also.

It is far more likely you just have some more generic issue with the internet. Start with the simple ping test and leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 and see if you are getting packet loss.

Solution
1. Do you get connection problems and kicked off Destiny when you're not streaming?

2. What processor and video card do you have? Are you cpu encoding or gpu encoding when you stream?

3. Major streamers use a separate computer for streaming. You can use a usb KVM switch to swap your keyboard and mouse between computers.

Apr 30, 2022
1. Do you get connection problems and kicked off Destiny when you're not streaming?

2. What processor and video card do you have? Are you cpu encoding or gpu encoding when you stream?

3. Major streamers use a separate computer for streaming. You can use a usb KVM switch to swap your keyboard and mouse between computers.
Sometimes I do get kicked from Destiny while I'm not streaming but it is far less frequent than when I am. I'm using a Ryzen 9 and a 3080 on a prebuilt laptop unfortunately. As for the encoding I have switched all Discord settings for GPU encoding off to more utilize my CPU.

Apr 30, 2022
This:

"the owner doesn't feel comfortable giving me access to the gateway. "

We cannot help with working around the owner's policies and any applicable enforcement of those policies that has been implemented.

You need to work with the owner.

And do be aware that trying to do otherwise in order to play games may cost you your network/internet access completely. Or worse.
The owner of the house was trying to be helpful, and is alright with me buying my own modem to see if I can rectify the issue, I'd just rather not spend 100+ dollars on a modem.

Apr 30, 2022

Now in theory there could be firewall rules in the router blocking ports. In some company networks they only allow web browser ports. This though does not cause a game to disconnect it makes it not work at all, which I suspect it part of the reason for the restriction.

Your problem is a bit hard to say what is causing the problem. I mean if you really thing it is the router then try a VPN service, this would eliminate strange issues between your ISP and the game company ISP also.

It is far more likely you just have some more generic issue with the internet. Start with the simple ping test and leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 and see if you are getting packet loss.
When I have used a VPN in the past my connection is far slower, do you have a good VPN service in mind that wouldn't lessen my connection significantly? As for the ping troubleshoot, how would one do that?

You really don't care of the vpn is slower it is only really for a test. Just buy 1 month at one of the larger vendors.

If you have the same issues then it is more likely some strange issue with the pc. If it works good then you can try to troubleshoot what in the router might be causing it.

Ping is always a good test for basic network connectivity. If you were to get packet loss then a VPN will not help because you would lose the traffic going to the vpn service also. I mean just open a cmd window and try the ping command.

Ralston18

Titan
Buying your own modem means getting your own ISP service.

Generally connectivity is ISP -----> Modem ------> Router -------> Customer's devices (wired and wireless).

[Note: Could be that the owner has a combined Modem/Router}

If you meant buying your own router that is possible but you would need to turn off your router's network functions making it basically just a switch. (A switch is much cheaper.)

In any case, at this time, the problem is not known so adding another device would be mostly moot and could make things worse.

And I do not see that a VPN service would help either. Traffic still has to go through the existing network devices.

Ask the owner to look in his router's logs (if available and enabled). The router may be capturing some related error codes.

Apr 30, 2022
Buying your own modem means getting your own ISP service.

Generally connectivity is ISP -----> Modem ------> Router -------> Customer's devices (wired and wireless).

[Note: Could be that the owner has a combined Modem/Router}

If you meant buying your own router that is possible but you would need to turn off your router's network functions making it basically just a switch. (A switch is much cheaper.)

In any case, at this time, the problem is not known so adding another device would be mostly moot and could make things worse.

And I do not see that a VPN service would help either. Traffic still has to go through the existing network devices.

Ask the owner to look in his router's logs (if available and enabled). The router may be capturing some related error codes.
Sorry, yes owner of the house does already have a modem/router, I was planning on buying one of my own as well. The owner is more than happy to help with anything, the problem is that he isn't as well versed on most of this tech related issues than I would need him to be so it's hard for me to try to ask for his assistance through text messaging and the occasional phone call.

Ralston18

Titan
If you get your own modem/router and pay for your own internet services then your network will be independent from his network.

Do verify beforehand with both the owner and the ISP that another cable can be run into your room or area.

Most ISPs provide their own modem, router, or modem/router or provide a list of supported equipment. Know before you buy or sign a contract.

You will just setup and configure your own network starting with the Modem/Router: Admin Name, Login password, Network Name, wireless passwords, wifi frequency, channel(s), security, DHCP IP address range, rules, open ports, etc. according to your requirements.

How to do that should be explained in the applicable modem/router User's Guide or Manual.

Still the issue remains regarding the connection issues and why you are getting kicked off. Having your own service and modem/router may not be the solution.

Apr 30, 2022
If you get your own modem/router and pay for your own internet services then your network will be independent from his network.

Do verify beforehand with both the owner and the ISP that another cable can be run into your room or area.

Most ISPs provide their own modem, router, or modem/router or provide a list of supported equipment. Know before you buy or sign a contract.

You will just setup and configure your own network starting with the Modem/Router: Admin Name, Login password, Network Name, wireless passwords, wifi frequency, channel(s), security, DHCP IP address range, rules, open ports, etc. according to your requirements.

How to do that should be explained in the applicable modem/router User's Guide or Manual.

Still the issue remains regarding the connection issues and why you are getting kicked off. Having your own service and modem/router may not be the solution.
I called my ISP and they first suggested trying to open some ports, then I asked them if I could just buy my own modem/router and they said yes then gave me a list of compatible ones I could buy that would work with their service. I'm just worried that the modem/router isn't the issue and I'll spend a couple hundred dollars and it'll be for nothing.

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding @gggplaya

Purchasing your own router is not needed if you still intend to use the current owner's ISP service and/or router in some manner.

And the second router will indeed cause problems - gaming or otherwise. It could be configured as a switch (but an expensive one) or perhaps as an Access Point.

An access point can pose a variety of different issues.

If the current owner is unable (even if willing) to help resolve the problem or has setup network controls to restrict network devices (you and housemates) there is really not that much that can be done. Remember that the owner has other tenants and must ensure that the services are equally shared.

Other than you simply getting your own ISP account it is unlikely that much more can be done.

Reading back:

How are the network speeds being determined?

That Cat 6 Ethernet cable: Where was the cable purchased? Verify that the cable is pure copper, AWG 22-24, UTP.

No copper clad aluminum, nothing flat or thinner gauged wires.

Try another known working Ethernet cable.

Have a housemate connect their computer into your connection. Determine if network performance improves and/or remains stable.

Likewise plug your computer into a housemate's connection jack. Determine if the network performance improves or remains stable.

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Perhaps that and some other troubleshooting will help find the problem.

Apr 30, 2022
Seconding @gggplaya

Purchasing your own router is not needed if you still intend to use the current owner's ISP service and/or router in some manner.

And the second router will indeed cause problems - gaming or otherwise. It could be configured as a switch (but an expensive one) or perhaps as an Access Point.

An access point can pose a variety of different issues.

If the current owner is unable (even if willing) to help resolve the problem or has setup network controls to restrict network devices (you and housemates) there is really not that much that can be done. Remember that the owner has other tenants and must ensure that the services are equally shared.

Other than you simply getting your own ISP account it is unlikely that much more can be done.

Reading back:

How are the network speeds being determined?

That Cat 6 Ethernet cable: Where was the cable purchased? Verify that the cable is pure copper, AWG 22-24, UTP.

No copper clad aluminum, nothing flat or thinner gauged wires.

Try another known working Ethernet cable.

Have a housemate connect their computer into your connection. Determine if network performance improves and/or remains stable.

Likewise plug your computer into a housemate's connection jack. Determine if the network performance improves or remains stable.

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Perhaps that and some other troubleshooting will help find the problem.
There seems to be a misunderstanding, I apologize. The owner of the house were renting has no issue with me buying my own modem/router. I would not be using two separate modem/routers I would be replacing it so that I would be able to have control over firewall settings and ports etc... The owner of the house has already made it explicitly clear that he is ok with me doing this, the only reason he hasn't given me access to the current modem/router is because unfortunately the username and password is linked to both the billing and settings and can't be changed without changing the other, which the owner doesn't feel comfortable giving me, for obvious reasons. My hope is that changing the modem/router will allow me to troubleshoot and fix any issues. Both my tech friend and the ISP themselves have said this idea would most likely work. As for spending money on a modem/router, yes it is a big purchase but it'll be a investment since we will eventually be moving from this house and if and when I get my own place or move to another place I can then again ideally reuse this new modem/router.

Ralston18

Titan
A second/"replacement" router is only going to add complications.

Such as double NAT, as mentioned by @gggplaya.

No guarantee that the second router will truly solve the connection issues - barring some real problem with the current router or its' configuration.

Only one router, be it the owner's router or your router, can be used to manage the house network that everyone is sharing.

[Note: A second router could be used but then you are getting into sub-networking and that is not likely going to solve the connection issues. And, again, make it all more complicated.]

And controlling your own router will only control your network (sub-network).

Not sure about the ISP you are working with. However, whoever (should be the owner) has admin rights to the current network router has the ability to change the admin user name, the passwords, configuration settings, etc. without affecting billing and settings.

At most, there may be some requirement to register the new router with the ISP to validate some change in equipment.

If the owner is willing to let you replace his current router with your own router then he is giving you full control over the house network serving you and housemates.

His choice.

Do be sure that the new router is list on the ISP's supported equipment/device list.

Apr 30, 2022
Have the new modem/router but don't know what else to do here to help make my games and streams smooth. Should I be opening ports or changing my firewall settings?

Ralston18

Titan
There is not much you can do.

First - the problem has not been identified.

Second - if the current owner is unwilling or unable to provide you full admin control of the current router (or modem/router) then any issues being caused by or controlled by his devices will still exist.

Third - again adding your own modem/router will likely create new problems.

Fourth - solutions that do happen to benefit you may adversely effect other network users. They will not be happy.

For the most part if you want to game and have control of your own modem/router and network you will need to set up your own ISP account. Either with the current provider or a competitor (if you are fortunate enough to have a choice).

Apr 30, 2022
There is not much you can do.

First - the problem has not been identified.

Second - if the current owner is unwilling or unable to provide you full admin control of the current router (or modem/router) then any issues being caused by or controlled by his devices will still exist.

Third - again adding your own modem/router will likely create new problems.

Fourth - solutions that do happen to benefit you may adversely effect other network users. They will not be happy.

For the most part if you want to game and have control of your own modem/router and network you will need to set up your own ISP account. Either with the current provider or a competitor (if you are fortunate enough to have a choice).
Fixed the issue, adding the new modem/router helped with accessing the admin gateway but adding ports didn't help. As a hail merry I decided to reset my laptop which wiped my C drive and not my D drive (both SSDs) and the problem was resolved. Best guess there was something corrupt on causing the issues, or my D drive was the issue (I forget which drive I had Destiny downloaded on) regardless I'll keep my eye out just in case on other games. Thanks for the replies and help, sorry for the lack of information at times.