When putting a pc together do I need to ground it?

ricas123

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Im putting my pc together , do I always need to plug in the psu in the wall socket to electricity and just turn off the psu? Do i need to do this always when placing parts together, and where is the best place to touch ,to ground myself? After how much time I need to put hand to case again? If my case is all painted , where to put my hand?

Jared485

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

To be safe unplug it from the wall and turn the psu switch into the off position. Just touch something metal. Theres such an extremely low chance you'll shock a piece of hardware and damage it you really shouldn't worry about it. I've built multiple pc's and never used a wrist/ankle strap or grounded myself before building. the chance is just so small, and the only thing really damagable by shock is your motherboard.

ram1009

Distinguished
Never plug in the PSU until you're ready to start the computer. During assembly you should be fine if you touch some bare metal part of the box first to discharge any static. I've never seen a box painted on the inside.

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
For the build, youtube 'newegg computer build parts 2&3'. It will answers these and many more questions. If you follow along with the video you'll be good to go with the build and software install. Finally, i just touched my metal case during the build and have had no probs. GL !

ram1009

Distinguished

From your own description you are very careless about static discharge. That's your business. Advising others to follow in your footsteps is another matter.

Jared485

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

Its never caused me a problem, the reason i say it so unlikely is mainly from experience as well as watching multiple well know computer builders on youtube such a Linus, Tek Syndicate, Carey Holzman, the people from newegg, and more. They all know what they are doing and they all have said in multiple videos how small of a chance you will actually ruin something from static discharge via your body. But to be safe just touch something metal before handling like i stated before.

ram1009

Distinguished

The chances of static discharge are remote but the remedy is so simple and readily available that it doesn't make sense to ignore it.

Jared485

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

Im not saying to ignore it completely, you should still touch some metal before working on a pc to discharge yourself if you happen to hold any charge. I was just trying to state how rare it is for static discharge to actually be what ruins hardware during installation.