[SOLVED] When should you retire PC hardware?

caseybrunet

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
I built a monster of a PC in 2013 that has only recently started to show its age. I upgraded from sli 780s to sli 1070s and it has helped tremendously but now my CPU seems to be getting close to its max for a few things. So my question is: When should you retire a system and start new?

To be more specific, my power supply is a corsair 1050W power supply. if I want to upgrade my CPU I will have to replace my motherboard and ram also, but should I upgrade my power supply also?
I have no reason to believe it is bad but is there a lifespan to components where it is prudent to simply replace them? That is a general question to all components in a system.

Solution
OK cool. yeah, i've noticed I just dont get as much out of SLI these days as I did in my youth. Thanks for your input.

Yeah, SLI is not the 'answer' that it once was.
Unless you're running the absolute highest end GPU and need more performance (whcih can only be achieved by multiple of said GPU), a stronger, single GPU solution is the way to go.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
When the system is no longer doing what you want it to do adequately, and no upgrade on the platform will allow it to do so?
That's about as close to a blanket, one-size-fits-all answer I could come up with.

Your full system specs would be helpful.

As for the PSU, the HX1050 is/was a good quality unit. The warranty period provided tends to give you an idea of an expected lifespan that the manufacturers expect to be a minimum.
For the HX1050, it's a 7 year warranty. That doesn't mean it won't last longer, and the specifics of the environment/circumstances will play a huge factor.
I fully expect it would be more than capable of powering a new system, and it's of sufficient quality that if/when it does start to falter, it's not risking any of the components connected to it.

However it's all relative. If you decide to go spend (for example) $1,500 on an entirely new system, <$100 would get you a quality, modern PSU these days.
The HX1050 could still be sold for a reasonable amount of money (say $50), so <$50 nets you a new PSU that should last you 10 years comfortably.

caseybrunet

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
When the system is no longer doing what you want it to do adequately, and no upgrade on the platform will allow it to do so?
That's about as close to a blanket, one-size-fits-all answer I could come up with.

Your full system specs would be helpful.

As for the PSU, the HX1050 is/was a good quality unit. The warranty period provided tends to give you an idea of an expected lifespan that the manufacturers expect to be a minimum.
For the HX1050, it's a 7 year warranty. That doesn't mean it won't last longer, and the specifics of the environment/circumstances will play a huge factor.
I fully expect it would be more than capable of powering a new system, and it's of sufficient quality that if/when it does start to falter, it's not risking any of the components connected to it.

However it's all relative. If you decide to go spend (for example) $1,500 on an entirely new system, <$100 would get you a quality, modern PSU these days.
The HX1050 could still be sold for a reasonable amount of money (say $50), so <$50 nets you a new PSU that should last you 10 years comfortably.

Cool Thanks. I am going to wait until tax season next year and do a pretty large upgrade. I will likely replace the PSU at that time since it will pretty much be the only component remaining to upgrade.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you're replacing everything else, then doing the PSU makes a whole lot of sense. Remember, tech in 2019 is vastly different vs 2013 or prior. Very little need/use-case for multiGPU setups etc.
While a PSU will only pull what it needs to, running a 1000W PSU for a system that'll routinely draw <500W (as an example) will put you outside of optimal efficiency too. Not much of an issue, nor would it be likely to impact a power bill or anything, but just another consideration.

Even with some relatively power hungry components in 2019-20, a 750W is almost certainly more than enough for most users. The vast majority of single GPU setups would be handled well by a quality 450-550W unit.

caseybrunet

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
If you're replacing everything else, then doing the PSU makes a whole lot of sense. Remember, tech in 2019 is vastly different vs 2013 or prior. Very little need/use-case for multiGPU setups etc.
While a PSU will only pull what it needs to, running a 1000W PSU for a system that'll routinely draw <500W (as an example) will put you outside of optimal efficiency too. Not much of an issue, nor would it be likely to impact a power bill or anything, but just another consideration.

Even with some relatively power hungry components in 2019-20, a 750W is almost certainly more than enough for most users. The vast majority of single GPU setups would be handled well by a quality 450-550W unit.

are you suggesting I stop using the 1070s in SLI? (both of these cards are new).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No, I'm not suggesting that at all. If you have a use-case that can utilize both, or you regularly play games that scale pretty well with SLI, then there's no harm at all.
What I meant was, when it comes time to replace those, there's not going to be too many rational reasons to opt for SLI moving forward.

Reactions: WildCard999

caseybrunet

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
No, I'm not suggesting that at all. If you have a use-case that can utilize both, or you regularly play games that scale pretty well with SLI, then there's no harm at all.
What I meant was, when it comes time to replace those, there's not going to be too many rational reasons to opt for SLI moving forward.

OK cool. yeah, i've noticed I just dont get as much out of SLI these days as I did in my youth. Thanks for your input.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Yeah, SLI is not the 'answer' that it once was.
Unless you're running the absolute highest end GPU and need more performance (whcih can only be achieved by multiple of said GPU), a stronger, single GPU solution is the way to go.

Solution