When to buy a 270?

belo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Long story short, my rig in my sig is ancient. I no longer game on the pc so its lasted this long because it completes most tasks but is really showing its age in the speed department and starting to get buggy.

So with tax returns on their way soon I want to rebuild. I will keep my case, psu and gpu but everything else will be new.

So my dilemma is that I would prefer a kabylake cpu. Not because they're marginally better than a skylake but because I'm starting fresh so why not get the best? The i5's I'm looking at seem to be around the same price as well so there's not a lot of motivation to go skylake to save money.

Anyhow, I'd also like to go with a 270 board for the same reasons and to avoid the bios issues, but the reviews and info are obviously lacking at this point.

How long should I wait to buy a 270? My rig works so I'm not desperate. At the same time I'm leery of early builds and boards without a lot of reviews. Getting a steal of a sale is not a big deal either. I'm in the sub $150 non OC, non-gaming motherboard market.

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016

Why not go with a B250 if you aren't looking to overclock? I really don't know if a Z270 board adds any value to this build besides upping the price tag.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
From what I've read, if you wait for the best deal/hardware you will always wait. I just personally bought a 7700k and a Z270 Extreme 4 mobo and I love them. If you want something, you "could" wait until AMD Ryzen drops to see if that does anything with Intel's pricing, but that could just keep you waiting as well. If I were you, I'd just go ahead and pull the trigger. Waiting "could" save you a few bucks, but it could also backfire on you. Don't forget that when you purchase your new CPU/mobo you'll also need to purchase a new copy of Windows if your activation code isn't linked to your Microsoft ID. I would also try to spring for an SSD for your new build and probably go with at least 8gb if not 16gb of RAM.

belo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

Oh I'm definitely getting a Samsung 960 and 16gb of ddr4 2400. I'm not waiting to save money or for the latest tech, I'm waiting because I'm not sure what boards are "good" yet. I feel like a guinea pig buying a board without any reviews.

I've always been an NVidia and intel guy so the amd chip is not really in play.

this one has my eye
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z270-TOMAHAWK.html#productFeature-section

belo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

unfamiliar with the B250, I will look into them. what's the difference between the 2? Keeping in mind I'm not gaming, overclocking or giving any crap about fancy lights but still wanting something good enough to last a while and that can utilize latest ssd, memory and 3.1 tech.

gillhooley

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
You never know, but this seems highly unlikely. No doubt it will close the gap, but I don't think we will see and Intel killer, other than in a few select mutli-threaded apps. You are always better off waiting, but then you never have anything.