[SOLVED] When to replace psu in Gateway FX pc from 2005?

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
I have an old Gateway FX pc from 2005 that I use for retro games and applications. It still has the original psu in it. All original hardware except for the gpu was upgraded to a Nvidia 9600gt.

The computer is working fine. I’m only wondering if replacing the psu should be done as a preventative maintenance measure?

Solution
24 pin power to motherboard and 4 pin for CPU.
You can try it, but make sure you know all of the necessary connections your current power supply provides and make sure your new power supply has all of those as well. For instance, the 4-pin floppy power cable has long since been retired. If you still use the floppy drive in your old system, you may run into issues.

Of course, this is all precautionary. Like @AntonyLovric, I agree that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-Wolf sends

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
I'm a firm believe in the 'If it aint't broke, don't fix it' approach. This is a hobby gaming rig and not in use in a real-time (landing planes, healthcare, nuclear power) situation.

I'm surprised it's made it 16 years. If the PSU goes there is a small chance it could take out something else (CPU/GPU). You could clean the dust out the computer carefully, that would be good preventative maintenance.

If you really want to replace the PSU you could pick up one but the PSU would probably be worth more than the whole rig.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Not able to find any details about that unit. The power supply can LOOK identical to your standard one, but be wired completely different. Really no way of knowing. I'm assuming the motherboard has a 20-pin or 24 (20+4) -pin main power port?

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
24 pin power to motherboard and 4 pin for CPU.
You can try it, but make sure you know all of the necessary connections your current power supply provides and make sure your new power supply has all of those as well. For instance, the 4-pin floppy power cable has long since been retired. If you still use the floppy drive in your old system, you may run into issues.

Of course, this is all precautionary. Like @AntonyLovric, I agree that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: AntonyLovric
Solution

jayjr1105

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
2005 Era I would think the power supply would have some bloated caps sending ripple through the roof. I doubt OEM's were doing any proprietary power supply's yet in 2005. It didn't really become mainstream until 2014 or so. I'm sure even a cheap 80+ white group regulated unit would be fine.

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
About the PSU compatibility. It looks like you might be in luck. Is this your motherboard:

https://www.nshaman.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=203352

If it's an Intel D945GBI there is a good chance it's a standard PSU.

They don't have a manual for D945GBI, they do have a manual for a D945GB0 (maybe the board was a custom made board for Gateway by Intel.)
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...p-boards/945/D945GBO/D945GBO_TechProdSpec.pdf

BTW - this looks like a BTX board (IO panel on the bottom of the board)?