When trying to launch Windows Audio-'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'

AgentLOL

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
So randomly, today, after dealing with viruses yesterday with AVG, then playing some music, I have a sound error. Windows troubleshooter doesn't work, launching it won't work, trying smc /scannow on Admin Command Prompt. This is a custom built PC, so there is no one manufacturer who made it. How should I go about solving this problem? I even tried clearing AVG's vault, and I replaced and didn't replace some. I even tried turning it off, and it didn't work. Since this is rather new, I'm just about had it and I'm doing a hardcore restart and deleting everything.

Addition Info-Specs:
i5 4690
8GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 8.1
Nvidia GTX 970
Gigabyte Ultra Durable Motherboard
1TB HDD 7200RPM
250GB SSD Samsung Evo

g-unit1111

Titan
That sounds like it's a corrupted audio driver. You will have to uninstall the existing driver, reboot and reinstall the driver. If that doesn't work run a system restore to the last point where your PC worked properly, could also be a bad Windows update.

AgentLOL

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
I did the thing in AVG, except I made some not replaced, so maybe that's why it still doesn't work. How do I reinstall the Realtek Audio HD Drivers? That launches and works fine. It's Windows Audio that's corrupted. Is there any way I can somehow get a fresh copy of that? I tried refreshing my PC, it just keeps saying Preparing, and I waited for 2 hours, nothing happened. Resetting is the same. How do I refresh or reset my PC? (I can't use a DVD because this is the only Windows 8 PC I have).

g-unit1111

Titan

It's probably time to reformat and do a complete reinstall of Windows. That will clear everything up. If you have the disc then it will make things easier, if you don't download the ISO from Microsoft and copy your product key. Be sure to back up your data first.

AgentLOL

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
Where is the product key? I didn't build the PC myself, Frys did, and I can't find any Windows box out of the boxes that they gave me. So is there any way I can do it without a product key?