When will I be able to actually order the GTX 1080 now that pre-orders are maxed out?

Subdrek

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
I am curious if I can purchase one on May 27th. If not, then when should the next batch be in?

Solution
Tell you what, tell me who is going to win the Belmont Stakes and I will tell you when you can buy a particular card. :)

As no one know who will have cards on release date, what stock is available when and what exactly the demand will be, any answer is a pure crap shoot. And let's not forget that all those that do get them early will be "taking a hit" for jumping on the bleeding edge in the sense that:

a) The PCBs will be 1st stepping boards which come with all the bleeding edge bugaboos that come with every 1st generation. One of the most famous in recent years was the EVGA 970 SC in which 1 of the 3 heatpipes missed the GPU. MSI also had an issue whereby if you weren't very careful removing the plastic tape over the fans, you...
Tell you what, tell me who is going to win the Belmont Stakes and I will tell you when you can buy a particular card. :)

As no one know who will have cards on release date, what stock is available when and what exactly the demand will be, any answer is a pure crap shoot. And let's not forget that all those that do get them early will be "taking a hit" for jumping on the bleeding edge in the sense that:

a) The PCBs will be 1st stepping boards which come with all the bleeding edge bugaboos that come with every 1st generation. One of the most famous in recent years was the EVGA 970 SC in which 1 of the 3 heatpipes missed the GPU. MSI also had an issue whereby if you weren't very careful removing the plastic tape over the fans, you could damage the fans.

b) The early stock will be reference designs whose performance, operating temps, and noise levels will be eclipsed by aftermarket versions.

c) Prices will be high, as they always are when the "next big thing" arrives... and then taper off as competition sets in.

Solution

BadCommand

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Having dealt with prior nvidia demand, I would guess that frequent hit and miss ordering (in other words- it will show up available but be sold out again quickly) will start occurring in 4-6 weeks with readily available demand in 8 weeks.